Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thinking on picking up a pistol to try to kill a deer with this fall. Give me some recommendations please. Buddy has a tc contemder in a 308 but I believe that would be more than i want. I won't be able to shoot far in mtns of Virginia maybe 75-100 yards max. Would I be better with a 243 in a contender or get like a smith in a 41mag with a scope or a dot? All I put is Be appreciated

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ruger Blackhawk or Smith 629 in 44 mag and go kill a deer

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter available in 44 Mag and 45 Colt. Available in Plow handle and Bisley, comes with a rib for a scope, or can be used with out one.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've got a Contender 10"bbl. in .44 mag. that works fine at those ranges.

B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I really like the smith 629's. And I'd want a scope on it What would a setup like that cost? Would a 44mag be ok at 75 yards.

IC B2

B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
School me fellas idk nuttin much on pistols for hunting

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
75-100 yards is a long reach for a handgun for the casual shooter. That is going to take some practice plus shooting from a rest would help a lot. Using a scope gives an edge but still requires practice. You want a gun that is set of for a scope and get a descent scope of 2X and no more than that. Hard enough to find the target with more power. The Super Blackhawk Hunter is set up with a rib and rings. It comes with sights so can be used with or with out a scope. Then practice, practice, practice.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Old pic but the middle pics is a pronghorn I shot at 100 yds with a S&W Model 29 in 44 mag. No optics. Used to shoot handgun silhouette with that revolver out to 200 yds.

[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have shot a few pistols but nothing hunting wise. Shoot my xd9 and my uncle has a couple 41's and 45's. Has 2 smiths in 41 mag that I've hit a 12x12" board with a target on it at about 85 yards. If I can have a rest and a little time I believe I can do it. I just don't know jack about a good setup. I've always admired a smith. The rugers are nice too.

What caliber would Be best?
Would a dot be better than a 2x scope?
I feel stainless would Be better?

If someone can give me a email I would like to Email You what I have a pic of on my phone to show you what I've found I like

B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by eh76
Old pic but the middle pics is a pronghorn I shot at 100 yds with a S&W Model 29 in 44 mag. No optics. Used to shoot handgun silhouette with that revolver out to 200 yds.

[Linked Image]

Very nice sir

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
As much as I love revolvers, and any of the revolvers mentioned thus far would serve you well, if you don't have a great deal of time to practice you will likely do best with a TC Contender or Encore in a mild deer caliber. A TC Contender with a 7mm TCU barrel running a good 7mm rifle bullet at around 1800-2000fps would handle deer nicely and recoil is much less than a 44 Magnum revolver.

Again, nothing against revolvers, but they take time and a lot of rounds down range to master. In my opinion, the learning curve on a TC is faster and that might serve you best, unless you intend to become a dedicated handgun hunter.

Last edited by Oregon45; 05/08/15.
B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45
As much as I love revolvers, and any of the revolvers mentioned thus far would serve you well, if you don't have a great deal of time to practice you will likely do best with a TC Contender or Encore in a mild deer caliber. A TC Contender with a 7mm TCU barrel running a good 7mm rifle bullet at around 1800-2000fps would handle deer nicely and recoil is much less than a 44 Magnum revolver.

Again, nothing against revolvers, but they take time and a lot of rounds down range to master. In my opinion, the learning curve on a TC is faster and that might serve you best, unless you intend to become a dedicated handgun hunter.

I by far have nothing here like the mtns you have there in Oregon but it is becoming a thought to start handgun hunting so don't have to lug the rifle around. Would a person need to hand load for the tc in 7mm? Or could you just shoot a factory load? Sorry for the questions fellas but I don't know some Of this stuff.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
You'd have to handload the 7TCU, but there are other Contender/Encore rounds you wouldn't have to load yourself. Carrying a scoped revolver and carrying a scoped TC are about equally inconvenient, and, truth be told, I'd rather carry a small carbine than a scoped TC or revolver.

If you're set on a revolver, and are willing to put in the time to get good with it, and don't want to handload, buy a Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk Hunter, 44 Magnum. There is more quality factory ammo for the 44 Magnum than any other revolver hunting round.

B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
They seem like tey would be rather awkward to carry so I would likely just put it in my pack and take it out when I get To where I want to sit for the day. I don't hunt from a stand with a gun. Always from the ground. Far as reloading I don't have access to reloading

B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
You'd have to handload the 7TCU, but there are other Contender/Encore rounds you wouldn't have to load yourself. Carrying a scoped revolver and carrying a scoped TC are about equally inconvenient, and, truth be told, I'd rather carry a small carbine than a scoped TC or revolver.

If you're set on a revolver, and are willing to put in the time to get good with it, and don't want to handload, buy a Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk Hunter, 44 Magnum. There is more quality factory ammo for the 44 Magnum than any other revolver hunting round.

Ok I will look up the ruger sir. What ammo would be best to use for a deer just a good expanding bullet? No hollow point or ballistic tip I'm
Sure

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you want a lot of information in one book take a look at Gary Reeder's book on handgun hunting. I bought his original and updated book when I was visiting Arizona with Ron from the CF in 2013. A lot of good information from someone who has been there and done that.

As to "what gun", depends on you. Some people like the challenge of a open sighted revolver....some use a stockless rifle like an Encore...no right answer.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
There are several factory rounds loaded with quality expanding jacketed bullets, Federal, Hornady, Winchester, etc. You don't need 300gr bullets for deer; anything between 220-250 should be sufficient.

B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
There are several factory rounds loaded with quality expanding jacketed bullets, Federal, Hornady, Winchester, etc. You don't need 300gr bullets for deer; anything between 220-250 should be sufficient.

Awesome thank you sir

Thank all Of you. If I can sell My browning silver shotgun belie ima
Half to buy me a pistol. Now scopes lol what is a good scope

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Can't go wrong with the Leupold 2x if you get the Bisley Hunter. Ruger's rings, which are included with the revolver, are excellent and the Leupold has a nice field of view and is very resistant to recoil.

B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Already answered my next question. WAS going to ask how the scope held up to recoil. Would it help if a person got a gun with a muzzle break on it?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 71 invisible), 2,973 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,116
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.