Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A

I’m looking at light or med-light action spinning rods

I have two Ultra-lights, but I want something just a bit stiffer, for trout in the 2-3 lb range
The main use will be throwing small lure and spinners in the 1/8 to ¼ oz range
Shimano Spirex, 1000 size reel, with 6 lb mono or 8 lb braid.
I’m thinking 6 to 6 ½ feet, and it must be 2 piece.

Any recommendations ?

MOLON LABE
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Fenwick makes many of their rods in a 2 pc. I am a huge fan of their medium light, fast and moderate fast action rods. I used a fenwick venture 6'6" ML (walmart exclusive) for several years for river trout. I broke it trying to unhang a spinner and replaced it with a walleye elite tech. I don't pay much attention to what the rod was "marketed" for cause all that matters is the action. Its 6'6" ML fast action rated for 1/8-5/8 oz and 4-10 pound test. It has really good guides on it and cast even a 1/16 oz jig very well. I'm completely saticfied
with it.

My personal preference for rod length has changed over the years but I have gotten used to 6 1/2' rods cause its the best of both worlds. Accurate casting and leverage to make long casts. I still use shorter and longer for certain techniques but for general purpose they are about perfect imho. I also like the medium light cause I can use the same rod for trout, river smallies, finesse fishing for bass, and crappies.

St Croix makes very high quality rods also as does falcon and both are made in the USA.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I like fenwicks and shimano, and i use the Shimano 750 size reel loaded with #10- Fireline. I personally prefer the 5.5 footers and have caught oodles of 2-3 pound trout on them,YMMV

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ingwe; 05/09/15.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Anaconda

I’m looking at light or med-light action spinning rods

I have two Ultra-lights, but I want something just a bit stiffer, for trout in the 2-3 lb range
The main use will be throwing small lure and spinners in the 1/8 to ¼ oz range
Shimano Spirex, 1000 size reel, with 6 lb mono or 8 lb braid.
I’m thinking 6 to 6 ½ feet, and it must be 2 piece.

Any recommendations ?

This rod alone,has wellllllllllll over 1000 Steelhead on it...none of which would weigh as little as 2 or even 3lbs. Caught (3) 40-inchers on it,in a single day. Hint.

UL 9'6" Loomis 1141-S GL3 4-8lb and I'm happy with either a 2500 or 3000 Stradic aboard it. The length increase and spool increase,grants opportunity. 'Nother hint.

Dink.

[Linked Image]

Fenwick doesn't make any good rods anymore.

SquealsSilly is a Clueless Turd Polishing Kchunt and she likes to go outta her way to perpetually reiterate same,obliviously. Bless her heart!

'Course I only catch 1000's of Salmonids a year.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Though I do getta kick outta Clueless Kchunts trying to talk about things,like they've a first fhuqking clue.

FUNNY schit!

I gotta go glass for Booners...if only to grant more opportunity,for folks to extoll on their Imaginations and it's Pretend.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Where is that 'Boxer' fugger?...I like him better.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm getting to really like St Croix spinning rods. Have three of them now, a 7' 2 pc Medium weight Fast action, a 6.5' 2 pc Light weight Medium action, and 6.5' 4 pc pack rod in Light weight Fast action. The LF pack rod has become my favorite for brook trout - has worked well with 6lb mono, light lures and spinners, trout from 8 to 18 inches.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'gwe,

Spent all day with him yesterday Glassing Bears and gunning come-ups/stretching things out. Only saw 8 of 'em,but one were an ABSOLUTE [bleep] BEAST. Trouble was,I didn't have my NuCanoe in tow and there was 1200yds of water and another 500-ish yards of real estate betwixt me and the Booner.

It'll give me a reason to go take another peek today.(grin)

[Linked Image]

If only.

[Linked Image]

Though I digress.

'Croix makes some fair to middlin' lumber,though none of which has been cited. I prolly have a few feesh rods,that have some SERIOUS feesh stank on them.(grin)

Pass the UltraLight 1141-S.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/DAD_4056.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/DAD_9680.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/DAD_1215.jpg[/img]

I'll save the discussion of UltraLight 1141-S High Volume Pursuits...for another day,as it wouldn't be fair to invoke Sensory Overload so early in the Thread.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/DAD_9572.jpg[/img]

Wouldn't wanna steal anybody's thunder,or get 'em to clam up.

Just sayin'.

Laughing!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mannnnn...I wish I could shoot fish like that!

But I'm shuffling through a life of quiet desperation, wading mountain streams in Montana and catching the non-sea-run versions of your fish on truly ultralight tackle.The bears I see aren't as big either, unless they have silver tips on their fur and tend to bite people.

Anyway, season aint even open on the little fish here,so I have to live vicariously, and kill a couple thousand gophers while Im waiting...
Give Boxer a big smooch for me! grin

P.S. They make boots out of rubber that are higher than yours and keep your feet dry. They market them under the name of "Waders". wink

Last edited by ingwe; 05/10/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like some of the cheap Fenwick rods. You can get them on sale for a song.

The Shimano Clarus rods are great bang for the buck and the over the counter exchange warranty is like a sore dick....Ya can't beat it.

I'm too fuggin' cheap, broke, and stupid to have played with any Loomis gear. I'm sure it's good stuff.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I have stopped by the local fishing store twice, and I keep going back to an "Okuma" SST, light/fast 6 1//2 ft, 2 piece.
I was surprised it was only $55.
I was impressed with the Shimanos, but they were all one piece.

These $150+ ($200, $300) rods are out of my budget.
I'm too tough on equipment, and so are the kids and rookies I take with.

MOLON LABE
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Clarus and Convergence rods are around $75-$110 with the convergence being the cheaper of the two.

Both have the over the counter guarantee which can't be beat by anyone. Kid slams it in the car door, stop at the shop and swap it out. No sending it off and waiting a week. Easily worthe the extra 30-50 bucks IMO.

If I wanted to spend under fifty, I'd go Fenwick Eagle. I see them on sale for thirty or forty bucks on occasion.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I thought I smelled $hit.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Im like the rest of you guys ( except Stick) I don't revel in breaking a Loomis rod, and have had more than excellent service from rods in the $70 and under range. Again, fenwick and Shimano and okuma all come to mind.

Over the course of three years I caught literally over a thousand pike ( 5-20 pounds) and a couple hundred trout on one Okuma 4'9" ultralight... Then one day, when I gave it a REAL slight bend to pull some line out, it shattered into three pieces shocked....Figured I got wayyyy more than my money's worth out of it.

I like the Fenwicks and Shimanos even better,but Ingwewife keeps appropriating them, and she can ( and has) busted Ugly Stiks...so they don't last long with her.... frown

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Fenwick in a heavier action I really like, sorted through the racks in the sporting goods store to find it. But then maybe I don't have such good taste in rods, ended up liking the high modulus Bass Pro rods in the lighter actions. Now I do have a Loomis UL (Shimano Stradic) I got for my dad and it's wonderful, but like ingue hints I'll feel absolutely sick if it breaks.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For throwing small/light lures, bubble flies, jigs, and bait, I like the $40 Berkley Trout Dough 7' light action rods. But I'm still using old Mitchell 308 and 310 reels.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'gwe,

A Milford Turkey Shoot,is a purty good time...or so I hear.

I find it a bit more than a touch disconcerting,that The Couchbound Crowd is on a mission to preclude their kids having/using any Good Riggin'. Happiness is a War Face and an 1141-S greedily accepting the abuse.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BFD is something breaks,what routinely accompanies Good Riggin',is a Manufacturer backing their wares and with no questions asked. Hint.

Feesh rods are one of life's MANY consumables. Re-hint.

[Linked Image]

Hand kids the GOOD Riggin',stay outta the way and watch The Show.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Happiness is a blank exploding on an enraged victim. Fhuqk it...schit happens,to them who ain't tethered to the couch.

Fenwick Bomb.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/SmokedHMX.jpg[/img]

'Croix Bomb.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/DAD_3893-2.jpg[/img]

P.S. and by the way...once it rains and the brush is wet,it don't matter whatcha' wear,because you WILL be soaked to the bone. I prolly have a fairly impressive Wader Collection,knowing me and UISA's steal the show,both due to construction techniques/materials and the custom ordered fit.

Some times I do,some times I don't.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/DAD_3864.jpg[/img]

But luckily,it don't rain much here on The Milford.

Just sayin'.....................

'Mooner,

Some of the Clarus line,offer alotta bang for the buck...though that's namely Casters,not Coffee Grinders.

Clarus jaunt here.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/2R8G3427_zpsbb1592bf.jpg[/img]

I dabble it all.

Hint......................

SquealsSilly,

You smealt it,because you dealt.

Besides being full of fhuqking schit and a Clueless Fhuqking Whiner...you hit the Trifecta,as you are also a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit.

Congratulations?!?.......................

'hawk,

My Fenwick stash goes no heavier than Pacific Stik stand-up rods(5'6" 80#)...though they're re-wrapped with Aftco's,as the OEM guides were schit.

If getting a free Loomis replacement sickens you,serious consideration to living in a bubble,might help you right the fhuqk out.

Hint..................

'guy,

Akin to schlepping an Egyptian Hakim with a bent barrel and threatening to steal the show with same.

Let's just say...it ain't in the cards,let alone in the realm of possible.

Mitchell Coffee Grinders are hard on line,due both the bail and the brakes...then it gets ugly from there,regarding all other "attributes". If I lost a bet big enough to slum Retrostalgic,it'd be Baby Cardinals and Mitchell's as Decoy Weights at best.

Fhuqking around has never been my gig and I'll always happily save all the Fluff,for others to "enjoy".

I remain at ease,in sandbagging more than a smidge.

Good talk.

Laughing!.....................

(Addendum)

'guy,

I enjoy the hilarity of your Imagination and it's Pretend.

PLEASE keep telling yourself what you most need to hear and continue to do so aloud. Mebbe correlate how fast your Imagination "works" and just how "real" your Pretend is,to you.

I'm crying,I'm laughing soooooooooooo fhuqking hard.

Wow +P+!...............

David',

I fat-fingered a key,with all the sawdust in my eyes(in Sveltification Mode on a Roaring Lion plywood handle).

It's "USIA" and the gent running the show,is named Kim. He'll take very good care of you.

His schit is beyond bulletproof and rather amazing,from any/all angles.

Hint....................

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Say again all, message garbled in transmission, over.

Addendum:

Larry, I still don't understand your message, as your version of the English language is significantly different than the one that I learned to speak and write. But, whatever.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 05/11/15. Reason: Addendum for Larry M.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"UISA's steal the show"

Waders? I Googled and can't find anything.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple of GL3's and GL2's that I put Stradic reels on for trout duty. They double up for panfish, so they get used quite a bit.

I'm going to have to break down and order a pair of those waders. I've been eyeballing them for a couple of years.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
NICE! laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 42 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.