Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What compact, lightweight cameras are you all using? I'm in the market for a decent (not top of the line, not too expensive) small camera.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have an Olympus stylus xz-10 that has done well. Don't run it on auto and learn the ins and outs of basic aperture/shutter functions and it does pretty good.

Tip from Stick: Learn to read the histogram and "Every shot is a tracer."

Last edited by battue; 05/09/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Still dig on the Olympus, I think it's a Stylus tough of a few years back. Have beat it up pretty good and it still takes good pictures. The new ones have a wider aperture to start, so might be better in low light, but I can't complain about the water/shock/Jon proofness of them.

Keep Smiling
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've had good luck with Panasonic Lumix.
I haven't used the waterproof models.
Daughter loves the Olympus tough.
The only reason I have stayed with the non-waterproof model is the limited optical zoom.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used this camera:

http://waterproof-camera-review.toptenreviews.com/fujifilm-finepix-xp60-review.html

Tough enough, but pictures are "dull".

My AK-Trips I used Pentax Optios. Great pictures, AA Batteries...

All great. Somehow needed one per season, though. Something in the mechanics always would end up not working (shudder). Happend three times. By then the body looked, shall we say, worn, so no luck with warranties. Not a problem at, what 90 $ retail, but still...

Just now trying to decide, whether to go Panasonic Lumix or buy a book and try to learn "photography loonism" enough to buy a "real" camera.

Try to understand one of Big Sticks photography post... I do not.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I really like my little Cannon Power Shot ELPH 520 HS.It's 3 1/2" x 2 1/4" x 3/4" with 12x zoom.Fits easy in my shirt pocket,rechargeable battery and takes really clear,sharp pictures.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hello somkepole,

For me, the Olympus TG series. I have the TG1 bought 2012. Great! VERY tough and exelent optics.

Good luck.

PH

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I tend to think nearly any P&S camera in the $200 price range is going to be pretty decent, with Sony and Canon generally having the best processors.

I've had a couple Panasonic Lumix P&S's but have never been particularly impressed with them.

The problem with non-waterproof/dustproof P&S cameras is the retractable lens acts like a reverse bellows sucking dust into the camera, which will ultimately collect on the sensor giving you dust spots in your photos.

Both my Panasonic's have ended up with dust spots after a couple years. It costs more than the camera is worth to send them in to be cleaned, so I view these as "disposable" cameras.

The problem with waterproof P&S's is they're not as crisp as non-waterproof cameras (apples to apples).

Personally I'm gong to a mirrorless system with a minimum 1" to maximum 4/3rds processor. Nice thing about a mirrorless camera is the sensor is super easy to clean oneself, actually easier than a DSLR.

If I were buying a P&S tomorrow it would be a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 (there are 3 gens of this camera) or Canon PowerShot G7X.

Otherwise I'm going with a small mirrorless camera. Right now leaning towards a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 or Samsung NX Mini.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Iphone 5s in a Lifeproof case is pretty compact. Doubles as an emergency phone.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Thanks, I checked that out, do you have any experience buying refurbished cameras from Canon?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm on my second Sony and have been very happy with them. Main reasons I upgraded was size and zoom. I like the smaller size and 15Xish optical zoom of the newer one. I also like them to be able to fit in a shirt pocket as that way I have very little reason not to have it with me. Here's the newer version of what I have:
http://store.sony.com/point-and-shoot-digital-still-camera-zid27-DSCWX350//cat-27-catid-All-Cyber-shot-W-Series-Cameras?vva_ColorCode=BC009&_t=pfm%3Dcategory

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Smokepole,

I bought this one (I think) for my wife, and stole it last year for the sheep hunt: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX...234&sr=8-11&keywords=nikon+1+aw1

It is pretty decent. Edges of pictures are not as sharp as I would like, but it survived well and is still ticking. Having a camera in a pocket is a huge deal, and I will take the minor quality hit in order to get more pics.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
What compact, lightweight cameras are you all using? I'm in the market for a decent (not top of the line, not too expensive) small camera.

All my cameras are Nikon

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, that certainly narrows it down.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Thanks, I checked that out, do you have any experience buying refurbished cameras from Canon?

Not personally but all I've read is basically they are as good as new, although may have a few blemishes on the exterior. Be sure to check for factory warranty though. I have a Fuji x10(x30 now) that is bigger and all metal construction and has more manual knobs. Great little camera but Canon, Nikon, Pentax, seem to have better color rendition for outdoors scenes. The shots from the Fuji appear to be a little "muddy" looking.

Edit. I have a canon G12 that has the same sensor as the S110 but older processor so am familiar with the picture quality the S100-110 etc. is capable of and for the sensor size, they do very well.

Last edited by SBTCO; 05/11/15.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks, I may just get one, that is a great price. I've used compact Canons in the past, I liked 'em but my wife usually loses them or they become "disposable" as Brad said.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Smoke,

I have been really pleased with my Canon PowerShot SX 280 HS.

It shoots nice snap shot and wide angle zoom and goes to 20x optical zoom. Here are a few photos I have taken hand held.

Some Bighorn Rams:

[Linked Image]

A Red Fox:

[Linked Image]

Cranes:

[Linked Image]

Arrowleaf's:

[Linked Image]

I've gone from packing 35mm Nikons with a big assortment of lenses, tripods etc to this point and shoot and for where I am today this fit my style very well.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like EdT, I've carried two SLR Bodies, lenses and tripod into the backcountry. I just sold my DSLR and equipment and bought a Canon SX50 Superzoom. 24-1200 50x zoom. Just dropped to $169 on the Canon refurb site. Yes, you lose the awesome dynamic range of the large sensors, but the ability to actually use the magnification is incredible. Anxious to try it in the field. In many instances it will be better than a spotting scope. Plus, I think it could be fun at the range, too.
It won't slip in a pocket, but everything you need is in one small package. (Nikon just released one that goes to 93x optically.)
Check out the reviews at dpreview and cameralabs.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another vote for Cannon.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
726 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,167 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,749
Posts18,401,306
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.