Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Does it keep you from buying a new one?

It has for me from day one. No interest despite the ability to inactivate it.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I won't buy one.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not interested..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plenty of S&Ws around that are lockless , I'd not buy one that has the lock.

I feel the same about leverguns that have a added safety

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The only one I've bought with a lock is the new Model 69 .44 mag L Frame

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They have on some (IIRC some of the bodyguard series perhaps). It doesn't keep me from one. Give me a screwdriver and I can remove the lock in about 10-15 minutes tops. I have 3 with locks. My 329pd is the only one I have bothered to render lock-less as I blamed the lock on the gun tying up, especially after reading a bunch on the internet regarding lock failures on light, hard kickers like the 329. Guess what? It wasn't the lock! My guess is the lock gets blamed for more trouble than it actually causes. In any event, it is very easy to remove and you can even get a 'plug' if the open hole bothers you.

If I had a choice I would obviously prefer no lock, but it doesn't scare me off.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
S&W is already producing a number of models without the lock, the 442 being the most common I've seen. It appears some distributors are ordering them without the lock.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I traded into a 329. Otherwise, I would never intentionally fork over cash for a new S&W with a lock.

There are a ton of very nice older pre lock guns out there.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 65BR

Nope.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by eh76
I won't buy one.

Clint Smith would.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
I won't buy one.

Clint Smith would.

Travis

Do I look like I care?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by K1500
They have on some (IIRC some of the bodyguard series perhaps). It doesn't keep me from one. Give me a screwdriver and I can remove the lock in about 10-15 minutes tops. I have 3 with locks. My 329pd is the only one I have bothered to render lock-less as I blamed the lock on the gun tying up, especially after reading a bunch on the internet regarding lock failures on light, hard kickers like the 329. Guess what? It wasn't the lock! My guess is the lock gets blamed for more trouble than it actually causes. In any event, it is very easy to remove and you can even get a 'plug' if the open hole bothers you.

If I had a choice I would obviously prefer no lock, but it doesn't scare me off.

The fact that they did it was enough to keep me from buying one

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Do I look like I care?

Just a statement of fact. Nothing more.

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Better left unsaid then.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by K1500
Guess what? It wasn't the lock! My guess is the lock gets blamed for more trouble than it actually causes.

You think?

Travis

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I will never get a new S&W with that lawyer lock.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Got one with.

Got one without.

Never had a problem. The lock can be handy when you need to need to put the gun aside, say to run into the post office and not leave a loaded gun in your car, or have to unload it for 5 minutes. Deciding not to ever buy an S&W revolver because they manufacture ones with locks is really going to limit your choices. Not much else out there in DA.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I bought one of the new mod 17's a couple years ago, and left it as is. I've never used the lock, and to be honest I have no idea where the keys even are. But it's a .22. The lock wouldn't necessarily keep me from buying the gun I wanted, but if it's more than a .22 I'd be removing the wart forthwith.

MAGA
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't particularly like them and would prefer they didn't have one. So far, I have been able to find the models I want in nice condition without them. If I wanted a particular model and it had one I would probably buy it anyway and likely be able to sleep at night.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a gun writer, but my two cents worth. I don't like Smiths with the lock. I don't like Smiths with frame mounted firing pins. I don't like Smiths with round butt grip frames. But then I'm just an old guy who likes things like they "used to be".

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My most accurate Smith is a Custom shop 44 mag with the lock.I prefer the old pin on hammer Smiths for appearance.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Better left unsaid then.

I don't agree.

Clint Smith endorses them.

Travis

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

My 327PD would hang up with the lock when shot fast double action. S&W said they would put a new frame with the newer lock cut to correct the problem.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Pappy - perhaps but there are many options in handguns.

If they ever do away with the locks I might buy some stock!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Handguns, yes, but DA revolvers not so much. Rugers are solid, but not very refined and very limited in caliber selection.

The biggest gripe I have with S&W is what they've done to Thompson Center.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by lastround
Not a gun writer, but my two cents worth. I don't like Smiths with the lock. I don't like Smiths with frame mounted firing pins. I don't like Smiths with round butt grip frames. But then I'm just an old guy who likes things like they "used to be".

So, do you just own matchlocks or have you moved up to flintlocks?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

The fact that they did it was enough to keep me from buying one

Same here. I'd also add that old S&W j,k,l,&N frames in good to great shape are out there for sale. Desirable guns are not a convenience item, you have to seek them out. Still when it gets down to forking over the cash they cost less and represent greater value than the guns with the "keyhole of treachery". These older smiths have done nothing but appreciate in value and still are but do the new ones with the keyhole? fhkk no!
Value comes in different ways and the value here is with the older S&W's to me. Magnum Man

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Nothing against Smiths without locks.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now that's a funny.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The older guns are generally finished better and are devoid of MIMed parts, which are unsightly to some and may not wear as well as forged ones. On the other hand, the new guns have been improved in other ways. In the 70's, which is when I bought my first Smiths, both S&W and Colt had QC issues that resulted in guns going out the door with serious functional problems. Some of those guns ended up in the holsters of police officers and the service departments were pretty busy. The cops had priority for service and regular folks often had to wait a bit. I had two guns from that era, a 29 and a 17 but the only trouble I had was occasional DA misfires with the .22. A new mainspring, installed locally, fixed that.

I have two Smiths now, one a 620 L frame 7-shot .357, with the two-piece barrel, MIMed lockwork, round butt, and the dreaded keylock. It's a fine shooter, with a super crisp single action pull, and has functioned perfectly. I don't carry it much, due to the weight, but I like it very much and someday hope to get one of the Pro Shop guns in the same configuration but with the forged lockwork. I generally ignore the lock, but as noted earlier, find it useful on occasion to secure the gun short-term. The other is a 642 .38 with S&W/CT laser grips that stays with me pretty much 24/7. That one came without the lock. Both guns were purchased used, but LN. Both guns are giving me excellent service even if they're not quite as shiny as ones made in the good old days. I buy guns to shoot, not admire (well, mostly).

I can take the keylock or leave it. It's an unobtrusive, and in my experience, a well-engineered response to the current market and legal situation, and not, I think, a political statement or philosophical sell-out. I'm certainly not going to let its presence, or lack of it, deprive me of the enjoyment of the best DA revolvers on the market. I get more enjoyment out of shooting than I do out of being offended.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Deciding not to ever buy an S&W revolver because they manufacture ones with locks is really going to limit your choices.

I will just have to live with it. I decided the day that they caved to pressure and went with the locks that I would never buy one with a lock. I see no reason to change my mind. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Your decision, of course, but are you also staying away from Rugers? They have locks on their .22 autos and even some single actions.

I forgot the key to my .22/45 once and when I got to the range, Boy, was I PO'd!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Your decision, of course, but are you also staying away from Rugers? They have locks on their .22 autos and even some single actions.

I did buy a Tarus .22 plinker with one, from an individual one time. I did not notice it until after I bought it. The place where the key goes was not obvious. I kept it but most likely would not have bought it, if I had noticed it at first. It had been a long time after S&W had done the deed and they were the only ones in my mind to watch for. I got educated. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I forgot the key to my .22/45 once and when I got to the range, Boy, was I PO'd!

This is a basic problem associated with lock, firearms are not doors and should not have locks.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If I encountered a functional issue with one, I would feel differently, I suppose, but that hasn't happened. I've heard of problems with the Smith lock, but nothing that was ever documented. Some of the tang-safety Winchester lever actions had issues reported by reputable folks, but I haven't heard anything lately. I really don't like those as they are ugly and look out of place.

In general, I just buy what meets my wants and needs and don't worry about the motivation of multi-national corporations. There's only room for so much ire in my poor old brain, and right now that's pretty much full of outrage over Crony Capitalism, government corruption, the climate hoax, and general lawlessness in high places.

When we get those solved, I'll have room for some important stuff.

Last edited by Pappy348; 05/11/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
If I encountered a functional issue with one, I would feel differently, I suppose, but that hasn't happened. I've heard of problems with the Smith lock, but nothing that was ever documented. Some of the tang-safety Winchester lever actions had issues reported by reputable folks, but I haven't heard anything lately. I really don't like those as they are ugly and look out of place.

In general, I just buy what meets my wants and needs and don't worry about the motivation of multi-national corporations. There's only room for so much ire in my poor old brain, and right now that's pretty much full of outrage over Crony Capitalism, government corruption, the climate hoax, and general lawlessness in high places.

When we get those solved, I'll have room for some important stuff.

There were most certainly documented problems with the lock as I posted earlier. S&W offered to replace the frame on my 357 PD which has a different cut that is supposed to cure the accidental locking.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

My 327PD would hang up with the lock when shot fast double action. S&W said they would put a new frame with the newer lock cut to correct the problem.

This should read 357 PD

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Was that related to the light weight of the gun?

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Was that related to the light weight of the gun?

Maybe, partly. The real problem was the frame cut that allowed the lock to jump upward tying the revolver up making it impossible to pull the trigger. The problem only showed up when shooting fast double action. I removed the lock and solved the problem.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not saying i wouldn't buy one if the price was right , but definitely prefer their revolvers without this Pussy Lock

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have this one:

[Linked Image]

which you can't buy without a lock. So far, no problems with it. I may plug it, anyway.

When it comes to these:

[Linked Image]

I only buy ones without locks. The 5" 629 in the upper left has since gone down the road.

So basically I avoid MIM and locks as much as possible. It would have to be something unusually attractive and useful (like the Model 60 Pro above) before I tolerated these "improvements".

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

It has for me from day one. No interest despite the ability to inactivate it.

Yes. I actually went and BOUGHT a 6" new nickel plated 44 mag about six months ago. Always wanted one. Took it home and (the horror) I noticed the little hole. It went right back...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
S&W will never remove the lock. California is the largest gun market in the US and they can't sell them there without it. Lame as hell - if I wanted something that was only offered with a lock - I'd buy it, remove it, plug it, and be okay.

Fortunately the stuff I've wanted/have has all been old Smiths. We pay a substantial premium in CA for the old ones since "pre-lock" is seen as "better" in most peoples minds and it's difficult (not impossible) to bring in a revolver from out of state.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
No locks for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No, I won't buy a S&W with a lock. S&W revolvers have priced themselves out of the market for me and caused me to buy Ruger Revolvers. I think Ruger revolvers are a good value.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good posts. Many echo my thoughts

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ok- maybe I missed it but what is the deal with buying or not buying with a lock?
I am primarily a rifle shooter but I have S&W's revolvers both with and without the lock and have never had a problem with any of them. Admittedly I do not shoot a lot of pistol shooting but am just more curious what the issue is with the models with a lock. Is it a real problem or an imaginary one?

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by drover
Ok- maybe I missed it but what is the deal with buying or not buying with a lock?
I am primarily a rifle shooter but I have S&W's revolvers both with and without the lock and have never had a problem with any of them. Admittedly I do not shoot a lot of pistol shooting but am just more curious what the issue is with the models with a lock. Is it a real problem or an imaginary one?

drover

A mainly in the HEAD problem.Jerry Michalac seems to go just fine with the S&Ws with locks on them

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Jerry doesn't quite count, as he's on the payroll.

Some are worried about functional problems which have apparently cropped up at times.

Others have philosophical issues and feel like S&W sold out to the anti-gun crowd by installing the locks. To me, that's like the guys who think the .325 WSM is disrespectful to veterans because it's an 8mm. But hey, it's a free country (kinda, sorta these days).

I've not had any trouble with mine as yet, and find it useful on occasion, so it's staying for now.

What fresh Hell is this?
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There was nothing wrong with pre-lock models just like the new mods on a MKIII VS MK II Ruger 22 semi.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The magazine safety on the .22/45 is a pain, but the biggest nuisance is the need to hold down the slide release when dropping the slide on a loaded magazine.

Off topic, but another thing I've noticed with the .22/45 is that it's very fussy about the position of the top round in the magazine. I never had an issue with the standard Mk II Target model I used to have. This one cost me an easy shot at a turkey one fall.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Any way to remove the safeties on the 22-45?

I thought you could on the SW locks...

And you can on the Rem locks....get rid of all this crap....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As my .22/45 is a plinker/hunting pistol, I've never worried too much about it as it's really just an inconvenience. The safety lock is optional and unlikely to engage accidentally. The slide-lock issue is the one that causes the most grief, but I'm not going to tamper with it. I'd rather just get the regular MkIII, which I prefer anyway.

For $250 the .22/45 is pretty hard to beat, quirks and all.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't ever want another ruger... reason I was asking, the poly frames with light barrels and threaded for a can, can take a trigger kit easily...

I am not aware of another 22 pistol that allows all this, light enough to add a can too without big weight issues.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by drover

drover

A mainly in the HEAD problem.Jerry Michalac seems to go just fine with the S&Ws with locks on them

Definitely an in-the-head problem with me. I just like the older models better.

Doug
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Personally I have refused to buy ANY new S&W products since the sell out that occurred during the Clinton administration. That includes all handguns, rifles, shotguns and anything with the S&W logo on it.

I will purchase older firearms produced by S&W as long as NONE of my money goes to the anti-gun company who sold out all gun owners to an oppressive government.

My decision has nothing to do with the locks installed on newer models (although I don't like the locks and consider them to be another form of sell-out to the anti-gun movement).

I would likely not buy any S&W product that has a lock on it anyway. I do not purchase Ruger products with a lock either and avoid all products with unwanted added on safety features such as newer Winchester and Marlin rifles. I have traded for a few of these when the price was right, but traded them away as soon as possible.....so as to not contaminate my other guns in the gun room.

If God had intended for guns to have locks and added safeties.....he would have told Ruger, Henry, Browning and others to design them that way in the first place. Since none of those folks seemed to get that message from on high, I've got to assume even God doesn't approve of such "improvements".

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Preach it Brother! Preach it!

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I will not buy one with a lock. I wonder if they would improve their income stream if they left off the lock and told CA and others to GFY.
I assume Ruger revolvers are not sold in CA..

Last edited by bigwhoop; 05/17/15.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I will not buy one with a lock. I wonder if they would improve their income stream if they left off the lock and told CA and others to GFY.

Bad assumption.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Rugers are most certainly for sale here. Again, and unfortunately, CA is the 800 pound gorilla of gun purchasing.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Exactly what % of sales are to Ca -
bc they have lost a ton of business elsewhere w the changes.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shot 800 rounds through one at thunder ranch in 2007, revolver course (3 day course). Then again in 2010 Home and vehicle defense course (3 day course).

T'was a 44 mag.

They work fine.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 05/18/15.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Exactly what % of sales are to Ca -
bc they have lost a ton of business elsewhere w the changes.

I don't know exact percentages, but I have read many times that gun sales in California trump all other states (including Texas) by a fairly wide margin.

And while most of us S&W "purists" don't like the locks, I'd wager they haven't lost as much sales as we'd all like to think. The average Joe who wants a revolver as backup or for HD really has 2 options. The heavy, clunky Ruger with it's terrible trigger, and a Smith. I'd guess most don't even know what PL means.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
44x800 should make your hand tender smile

PD - Not much on acronyms

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Until I can't find what I want without a lock, pinned barrels, more than 3 screws or to a lesser degree pinned barrels, I could give two craps about Smith offerings.

Don't even bring up square butts and blueing.....

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
44x800 should make your hand tender smile

I was tired at the end of the day. crazy

But the frangible loads required at ThunderRanch are not full power loads.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 19 invisible), 1,441 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,312
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.