Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I am thinking about getting a boat that would be primarily used for fresh water fishing, but would like to be able to take it down to the flats for some salt water fishing. I figure it would be better to get a boat intended for saltwater and use it in freshwater as opposed to the other way around. Any suggestions

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have hewes red fisher 16 ft that I use for the same kind of set-up.

I'd look at different flats boats and see what you like. They are basically bass boats set-up for saltwater.

Cheaper than a flats boat would be a heavy gauge jon boat. I use one of them or duck hunting, crabbing, and am setting it up for floundering too.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I just bought a Sea Ark 2072 center console. I intend to use it for both. I've no experience with saltwater but I have friends who do that say it will do fine for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The flavor of the water is not the important consideration. Rather, consider more the shape of the water's surface first, then the depth of the water you plan to run. Generally, big water means bigger boats, although good naval design in even a smaller boat can make it seaworthy.

http://workskiff.com/models/utility/

I've had the 19' M series skiff these guys produce. It's 5086 aluminum, nothing lighter than 3/16" anywhere, 1/4" bottom. It's been a perfect boat for my uses doing a lot of coastal running. It has a 13º vee bottom which means it requires more gas (90 hp Honda for the past 12 seasons). That's one negative. The other con is running through river delta and similar river shallows, flat bottom would then be advantageous. But the vee really helps when you get into some rough, and the design is such that it has shed everything I've pointed it at. I sometimes wish it was just a bit bigger, but the 19 is effective while being affordable. I'd love to run it on freshwater lakes if I ever get the chance.

Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I just bought a Sea Ark 2072 center console. I intend to use it for both. I've no experience with saltwater but I have friends who do that say it will do fine for me.

We see quite a few Sea Arks for near-shore use on the norther coast. They seem to be plenty tough and handle water pretty well.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 05/11/15.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Agree that a flats boat would be a perfect bass boat. If open water is in the mix they will be horrible and I would go with a "bay" boat. Bay boats typically have higher gunwales and have a little more capability to handle the chop.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Any boat you own will be a compromise at some point.
Especially if you intend using it for other than it was designed
for. I lived in the keys for more than 10 years. Flats skiffs
there appear to be given away free. Ive been 20 plus miles offshore on the humps fishing next to 16' flats skiffs. But those
days were few. I now live in Vero Beach and i have close access to both fresh and saltwater fishing. Lake Ocachobie for example
is an hour drive. The massive Indian River lagoon is within minits to a launch ramp. Make up your mind that any large body
of water wether fresh or salt can become rough and even dangerous
within minits. common sence can be more important than the shape
and size of your boat. In my opinion for what youve(described)
here a flats skiff would be a good choice. BUT,and its a big but
dont be thinking about sneaking thru an inlet because its a nice
flat day. Because when the tide changes its a whole different story. My current boat is a 17' Key West sportsman center console. I can run it in less than a foot of water with the 90
horse motor tilted. I also have a bow mount electric. It has slightly higher sides than the same companies bay version. I do on occaision run thru the inlets and fish the ocean side. For me for what i do its (close)to perfect. But last week i spent 2 days at Mosquito Lagoon and at times was wishing for a small flats skiff with a jack plate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Salt is no biggie, unless you're lazy, then it'll cost you quickly and dearly.

In the same vein as yobuck, a 17' Boston Whaler Montauk can do a lot of things well. Great fishing layout for a 17'er. They float shallow but also have decent gunnel height for less than flat water.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Salt is no biggie, unless you're lazy, then it'll cost you quickly and dearly.

In the same vein as yobuck, a 17' Boston Whaler Montauk can do a lot of things well. Great fishing layout for a 17'er. They float shallow but also have decent gunnel height for less than flat water.

If i could have found a nice one id probably be running one.
Down side for some (not me)would be weight and poling ability.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I grew up on the Gulf coast (flats and off shore) in FL and now live on a large lake in NC. My boat is a 22' Bay Boat with trolling motor. It works well in both waters. There are dozens of manufacturers of these boats. Hit goggle for Bay Boats and pick your poison. New boat prices can be pretty astounding these days but good used Bay boats still in excellent shape can be found for reasonable prices. I would suggest you look in the 19 to 22 ft ranges. Draft of 12 to 18 inches to get you into the tidal creeks comfortably for speckled trout and redfish and with the right side height and overall construction, you can range quit a way off shore on good weather/sea days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All boats are a compromise. One that will run shallow will have a hard time off shore. I've been 20 miles off shore at Galveston and run in to a Bass Traker. I was in my 22 whaler and was nervous. People do dumb things.
I stated with a
1. 17 Montauk
2. 20 Rabollo
3. 22 Whaler
4. 19 Whaler ( low pro)
They all met my needs at the time I owned them. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
All boats are a compromise. One that will run shallow will have a hard time off shore. I've been 20 miles off shore at Galveston and run in to a Bass Traker. I was in my 22 whaler and was nervous. People do dumb things.
I stated with a
1. 17 Montauk
2. 20 Rabollo
3. 22 Whaler
4. 19 Whaler ( low pro)
They all met my needs at the time I owned them. Hasbeen

Well i think foam floatation sometimes contributes to that.
The opinion being your safer on a 16 footer that wont sink as
opposed to being on a 30 footer that will.
Loran is what opened the door to the northeast caynons for loads
of fishermen. Companies like Whaler and Grady White furnished
the needed sequrity.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A boat around 22' would be about right for both fresh and salt water. Perhaps something with a cuddy for a head and a place to stow your gear.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by pal
A boat around 22' would be about right for both fresh and salt water. Perhaps something with a cuddy for a head and a place to stow your gear.

[Linked Image]

Now thats a real classic beauty that would be best used at a large freshwater estate and stored in a nice boat house.
Thousand islands N Y area comes to my mind.
But nice as it is its far from what the op is looking for.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by pal

[Linked Image]

I'm thinking it would be pretty hard to run trot lines (fresh water fishing) or use a trolling motor to fish bream beds or get to bass through flooded timber or work shallow bays for reds with that. Be nice for trolling for stripers though.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Also pretty hard to car-top, paddle, row or portage.

But a safe, comfortable boat for salt water.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I ran a 18' Carolina skiff with a 40hp Yamaha for around 12 years. Fished a lot in northeast Florida and all the rivers and lakes around here in TN. Lobstered and fished from it in the keys and ran it ten miles plus in the gulf if the weather wasn't bad.

It was a great all around boat-you can't get everything in just one. This was close. If I ever boat up again I'd go in that direction, maybe a bit bigger in both boat and power. It would be powered by a Yamaha without a doubt.

Golden............
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I too pondered this same question when researching hulls for my new charter boat...went with a Carolina Skiff 238 DLV.

handles the walleye waters here in Michigan and will work equally well when I return to my home state of Florida...

[Linked Image]

Added some good Humminbird electronics and the fish are in trouble now!

[Linked Image]

Had her out on Saginaw Bay a few days this week......fresh walleye for dinner!

Yamaha f150 fourstroke outboard pops her up on plane in 3 seconds and I can cruise at 20 mph at 3,000 rpms....talk about a very efficient fuel burn! Installed a Motor Guide Xi5 105# 36V with GPS up front and it handles this boat extremely well!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by frogman43
I too pondered this same question when researching hulls for my new charter boat...went with a Carolina Skiff 238 DLV.

handles the walleye waters here in Michigan and will work equally well when I return to my home state of Florida...

[Linked Image]

Added some good Humminbird electronics and the fish are in trouble now!

[Linked Image]

Had her out on Saginaw Bay a few days this week......fresh walleye for dinner!

Yamaha f150 fourstroke outboard pops her up on plane in 3 seconds and I can cruise at 20 mph at 3,000 rpms....talk about a very efficient fuel burn! Installed a Motor Guide Xi5 105# 36V with GPS up front and it handles this boat extremely well!

I think they must be giving those things away someplace also lol. Yours is a little bigger than most of the regular Carolina
skiffs i see and some like yours are set up really nice.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Grady White, nuff said.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by panjandrum
Grady White, nuff said.

Well thats sorta like saying a Peterbuilt is the best truck.
And it very well might be.
Unless like the op you only need a 1/2 ton pickup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,635
Posts18,455,246
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.