Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Conan7 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
May 9, 2015
I just arrived back from a hunting trip in Grahamstown South Africa with a company called KMG Hunting Safaris. I first heard of them when I went to the Toronto Sportsman Show, where I spoke to Marius (owner of KMG). Even though I got a good vibe from our meeting I wanted to research this company online before I invested my money into them. Their website looked reputable but I prefer to read reviews from a third party website other than the company’s own web page (I feel that they can pick and choose which reviews go on their web page). I was not able to find any reviews on this company other than their own website. I was left with a hard decision but decided to go with them for 2 main reasons; I received a good vibe from Marius on our meeting in Toronto, and they were the cheapest company out of all the ones I looked into. I did promise myself that I would write a review on this company (good or bad) after my trip was complete for anybody that is interested in planning a hunting trip to South Africa.
I was greeted by my hunting guide Warren, when I arrived at the airport in Port Elizabeth. From there it was approximately a 2.5 hour drive to Grahamstown. The hunting Lodge is a 5 star quality with a beautiful scenic view of hills and valleys without a house in sight. You can see all kinds of wild life from the deck because the lodge is located on a games reserve. Before Diner I had the chance to take a couple of shots with the guide’s rifle so that I would be comfortable for the coming hunt. I had Marius set up a day jeep safari for the next day, where we saw lions, elephant, hippos, giraffes, etc. This was a nice relaxing day to get over some of the jet leg before the hunt.

The first animal I hunted was the Fallow Deer. I was told that these animals are generally tricky to hunt but in April they are in the rut, which made things a lot easier. We started the hunt at 7:00am and had my Fallow Deer by 2:00pm. Within the next 3 days I had shot an Impala, Kudu, and Warthog. It rained quite a bit the first 2 days but did not affect the productivity of the hunt. My guide Warren was very knowledgeable and professional. He was able to get me within 200 yards for every animal because I told him that I was not comfortable with long range shooting. I felt he was always looking out for my best interest and communicated his opinion very clearly when I asked but was never pushy.

All the meals were amazing (in my opinion South Africa has the best food out of all the places I have visited around the world), staff are extremely friendly and accommodating.

I learned a lot on truths and myths with managing animals in this Country. One thing that impressed me was how Warren and other hunters are big advocates with conservation of all animal so that everybody can enjoy them. He explained how money generated through hunting helps fund and protect animals against poaching to sustain a balanced population (poaching is a big problem in South Africa and not legal hunting). From what I can see South Africa has an excellent program in place for legal hunting. I also appreciated how nothing goes to waste with the animal that was hunted. From skin to the guts, Everything gets used.

I did a 4 day hunt for 4 animals and could have easily stayed longer if time had allowed me. Instead, I rented a car and drove to Cape Town, making stops along the way (I would recommend doing this road trip). We walked cheetahs and elephants, went to a monkey and snake sanctuary, Zip lining, Cango Caves, cage diving with great white sharks, see penguin colonies, and Table mountain to name a few of the things we did on our way to Cape Town.

Overall, hunting with KMG was the highlight of my trip and exceeded all my expectations. I highly recommend KMG hunting Safari for anyone interested in hunting in South Africa.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've also hunted with Marius and recommend him highly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Nice animals. Sounds like you had a great time with some great folks. Nothing like hunting Africa.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great trophies! You are spoiled more than you can ever imagine, Those are world class. Congrats!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
C
Conan7 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you. It was amazing experience hunting these animals.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So where is home, how did you fly, what rifle bullet combo? What did you find new and strange in RSA, what food did you discover?

What did you use for footwear, and how did it work out? Jackets - fleece or windbreaker.

Did anyone handle your gun permits at the airport. Etc.

See, we want to know the whole experience from rusks with your morning coffee to the last Castle you swigged by the braai.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
C
Conan7 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
hmmm....I probably won't go into the level of detail on my running shoes....lol.

I am from Kitchener Ontario, Canada(about 1 hour from Toronto). The flight was 30 hours to get there (22 hours in the air). My total vacation was 3 weeks. I realize after this trip that I would not want to spend less than 3 weeks.I used the guides 300 meg rifle. It appeared to shoot straight smile.

It was definitely strange driving on the left side of the road. I find that there are not as many cars on the road, plus the roads are also more narrow then here in Canada.

I noticed on our drive from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town that the landscape changes so fast. One minute we are in a forest with 600 year old trees to flat farm fields and then to mountainous terrain.

Cape Town reminded me of Venice Beach are in LA. It is a happening place. I also found the people were really friendly.

The abundance of wild life is also something that I can not get over. I have always have had a deep appreciation and fascination for animals in general, so this was like visiting heaven to me.

As for foods....pretty mush all of South African meat is foreign to Canadians (with the exception of chicken, pork and beef). I was surprised to see the ostrich I ordered at the restaurant to come as a steak (like beef). I though it would be more like chicken (dark and white meat). It was very good though. I tried all kinds of meat (warthog, kudu, steenbuck, springbuck, etc.). I kind of like the springbuck the best though.

People where super friendly and helpful to travelers (at least to us they were). Like I said in my post, I could easily come back to this wonderful Country. It has so much to offer!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kitchener Ontario, Canada

Home of Moe Norman!

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Conan, glad you had a wonderful time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Jason,
Thanks for taking the time to write a report. Much appreciated.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Who is your little friend in the warthog photo?

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of the latest additions to the tracking dogs. His name is Tasco. Lean, mean crapping machine.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (6mmbrfan, 2500HD, 14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,531 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.