Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm hoping more people become LE's that don't WANT to be one, but choose to be one.

The only one's that have ever worried me, in many professions, are the ones with a hardon for WHATEVER that job is.

My thoughts exactly. LEO's and politicians probably top the list. Those who do so out of a genuine desire to help and serve are not the problem, its the one's who want the power and perks that comes with the job. I may be wrong but it seems like there are more and more of the later these days.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm hoping more people become LE's that don't WANT to be one, but choose to be one.

The only one's that have ever worried me, in many professions, are the ones with a hardon for WHATEVER that job is.

I never intended to become a cop. My course of study was natural resource conservation and Forestry. My Brother in law was a Conservatiok officer and i liked the idea of working outside. The chance came up to attend an academy, a good friend wanted someone to go through it with him...as a 19 year old with a care free attitude I said why not. 8 moths later I graduated and took a part time job with a amall agency to help pay college bills. Then took a second part time job because I began to enjoy the work and helping the communities ai worked in. Took the test for a full time job basically for experience for the test for the state, which was only offered every four years. I ended up getting the job with the dept that I left in Feb. Of this year. I started as a head strong 19 year old and left wondering if i'll ever stop having some of the dreams I have.

I consider my self one of the lucky ones. I was hired essentially out of the cradle, and left young enough to start another career. Sometimes I miss it terribly, but then reality hits and I realize I just miss the idea of the job, not the job itself.

A younger third( maybe fourth) cousin once asked me what all he needed to do to become a cop. I told him to become a paramedic

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The guys with the overwhelming desire to protect and serve are the scariest I've met. They'll bend the rules quicker than anyone because they're convinced that they NEED to do something that's wrong for the greater good.

The cop who's just there for the perks says "no way man, if I break the rules they'll fire me and I can't get half price cheeseburgers anymore". The best cops I've ever met were there ONLY for the paycheck.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pira114
Originally Posted by roundoak
Three years ago a close friend of mine and his son were sitting around the woodstove at the cabin. After serving in the Army and doing two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan he recently graduated from the Wisconsin State Patrol Academy and was assigned to an area mid-state. I asked the young Trooper why he chose law enforcement. He said: "I wanted to go to the sound of gunfire".

God bless 'em.

I get it. I know what he meant. But that's a mentality I try to train out of my trainees.

This job isn't combat. It's a service job that CAN become combat, but shouldn't be approached that way. You have to be able to switch that mind set on and off at will.

No, you don't get it. Take for example in this thread, statements are made that they would not choose the profession, would not recommend the profession and would not want their sons in the profession. Someone has to step up and serve and protect this society. This young Trooper is saying...put me in coach.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess it's either me or the Agency I work for. Probably both.

But I'd be proud of any of my kids who followed my footsteps into an LE career.

Yes, we get scrutinized over every little thing. Yes, the bad apples make everyone hate us. And yes, it's getting bad lately.

But this ain't new. It's happened in cycles for the entire history of our country.

Sometimes it sucks, but I knew that going in. So I won't cry over it. And the good outweighs the bad if you focus on that. If you focus on the bad aspects to the point that you're soured on the job itself, you might need to reassess your career choice on a personal level. Or at least reevaluate your priorities.

I honestly wouldn't want to work for an agency that didn't scrutinize what we do. I've been through dozens of IAs. Big deal. In the beginning, they were nerve wracking just because of it being a new experience. But now, I Diddy Bop into then smiling. Why? I do my job clean. Everything I do can be legally and morally justified. My conscious is clear. My name is clear. I'm good with the process.

If we didn't do these investigations, a few of my less than ethical coworkers would still be on the job. Instead of jail, where they belong. And they were taken down by internal tips.

I'll keep doing the job until I retire (9 years), or until they say I can't. But I'm betting on retirement

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But what he's wanting the coach to put him in for MIGHT happen once in a career. For most cops it never does.

So he's got 30 years of herding cats ahead of him that he's totally not prepared for. I'd imagine that's what Pira's trying to stress to his rooks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Three years ago a close friend of mine and his son were sitting around the woodstove at the cabin. After serving in the Army and doing two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan he recently graduated from the Wisconsin State Patrol Academy and was assigned to an area mid-state. I asked the young Trooper why he chose law enforcement. He said: "I wanted to go to the sound of gunfire".

God bless 'em.

I get it. I know what he meant. But that's a mentality I try to train out of my trainees.

This job isn't combat. It's a service job that CAN become combat, but shouldn't be approached that way. You have to be able to switch that mind set on and off at will.

No, you don't get it. Take for example in this thread, statements are made that they would not choose the profession, would not recommend the profession and would not want their sons in the profession. Someone has to step up and serve and protect this society. This young Trooper is saying...put me in coach.

I know that. He knows that. What he doesn't know is the job. Yet. I'm betting he'll be great. Just needs time and experience to learn that statement, while in itself great, can lead to the wrong mindset. It can also be nothing more than him saying "I'm not afraid of the negativity." I hope so.

All I meant is I hear that statement a lot. This job isn't all running to the sound of gunfire. But I suspect he didn't mean it literally. My post was not really directed at him or you. Just that I hear that a lot from guys and about half of them really get what it means.

And thank him for his service for me

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
The guys with the overwhelming desire to protect and serve are the scariest I've met. They'll bend the rules quicker than anyone because they're convinced that they NEED to do something that's wrong for the greater good.

The cop who's just there for the perks says "no way man, if I break the rules they'll fire me and I can't get half price cheeseburgers anymore". The best cops I've ever met were there ONLY for the paycheck.

Why does that just make a strange kind of sense?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll echo what Sam said

you guys are doing a job I couldn't do, I just flat out don't have the temperament for it.

but I'm grateful for those of you who do serve with honor and respect for our laws and the badge that's pinned to your chest.

I loathe the sensational media that just wants "controversy" and the liberal politicians that will try and throw you under the bus, despite having done the correct and honorable thing in the line of duty, such as the Ferguson case.

good times we are living in, but sad times in some ways as well, imo

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
But what he's wanting the coach to put him in for MIGHT happen once in a career. For most cops it never does.

So he's got 30 years of herding cats ahead of him that he's totally not prepared for. I'd imagine that's what Pira's trying to stress to his rooks.

And dogs in garages, and raccoon in cars....and then when you do have to shoot something, it might be a beef bull.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I much prefer the 'paycheck' guys. I've run into many a folk that for some reason think because someone is doing something for a paycheck that they ain't worth a hoot.

Why the [bleep] does ANYONE work? For a paycheck, period. I'm being paid to do a job and work, which is exactly what I do and do it to the best of my ability.

Finding canon fodder is easy, finding thinking canon fodder, much tougher.

I've never hand any illusion in 29 years of military service that I was bigger than it. That I mattered. I've seen way too many good people kicked to the curb because of varies reason. All anyone is to an agency is a number, nothing more.

I cared about people in my unit and in my charge. I didn't need the kumbaya stuff to do my job.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Why does that just make a strange kind of sense?

Because I'm so insightful, lol.

The cop on a crusade will break the rules because it's worth it to him. If he is suspended and loses money or gets fired, it's evidence to the world of what he already believed-he's a martyr.

The cop who needs a paycheck because he's got kids to feed will obey the law because he can't afford to lose his job. He'll be polite because he doesn't want to get suspended. He'll learn the job so he can promote and pay his bills.

You've gotta have some sense of justice about you or you'll go to work for Obama confiscating guns from Campfire members.

But crusaders AREN'T the guys you want carrying a gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You and Pira think you know what is in this young Trooper's head and he has the wrong mindset. Exuburance and wanting to serve and protect is not a new concept and we could use more of it in this day and age.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know what's in his head. But we both know what's in store for him at work.

I don't know that his mindset is "wrong", but I do know for sure that it will serve him better if it's tempered with a little bit of reality about what the job is actually like.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
from someone who has never really dealt with a bad policeman I probably have a much different perspective, but I've known many a young man who by their sophomore year in school felt it was a calling - often joining the Explorers to get their foot in the door, I think some of them certainly had delusions of grandeur about carrying and using a gun, some of them were perfectly happy to wear an orange vest and direct traffic for parades.

But there has always been this - I'll say in the non problem communities - you don't mouth off to a cop, and if by chance you get a bit too drunk, a little mouthy and cross a line, well you might get a baton upside the head,spend a night in the clink or both, but for the most part, the next day people pretty much thought you got what you deserved. Most people probably learned their lesson , for a few it takes a couple of more times before it sinks in. As long as you just walked away with a knot on the head and a bruised ego, it was just a moment of attitude adjustment - and the cops, for the most part by everyone that didn't get a knot on their head were given the benefit of the doubt.

But that was before the days of everyone having a video camera and seeing too many instances of a policeman reciprocating with force against a person.

I believe there is going to have to be some fundamental change in how this is addressed within police - either internally or externally, and for the ones that have to deal with I'll say - the problem communities - day in and day out, if they can't adjust, they'll probably have to get out...or be forced out.

Large urban cities are on edge, just waiting for the next spark to start the fires - and people are looking for the police to turn a suspect into a victim.

It has to be incredibly tough to go into a neighborhood where you know everyone is watching, and some are just there to see how far they can push you before you snap - and if you do, all hell will break loose.

Last edited by KFWA; 05/11/15.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You and Pira think you know what is in this young Trooper's head and he has the wrong mindset. Exuburance and wanting to serve and protect is not a new concept and we could use more of it in this day and age.

I agree. And I really don't think I know what's in his head. I believe you're truly misinterpreting what I'm saying in regards to your post.

I bet he's a great guy. Already a great American to me for serving. Especially over there.

I just used that particular phrase he used to make a small point. Not intended to diminish him, his desire to serve, or as a blanket statement about everyone.

I sincerely apologize if it came off as criticizing him. Didn't intend that

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Is it as simple as, Somebody has to the job . I don't know. I assume it's getting harder to do just like anything, more regulations, everybody has a u tube account, a hotline to the boss......

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Same reason I had in 1967 when I started out. Desire to serve, thought I could make a difference, naive. However the pay was steady but low and a decent retirement after thirty years. Took ten years for the the challenge to wear down and become disappointed with the system. By then was vested and their to long to walk away. Put in thirty three years and left with a decent retirement.

Wouldn't recommend police work at all. Nephew inquired and I advised him to be a fireman as everyone is happy to see a fireman. Seldom is anyone happy to see a police officer. He went with the police and stayed two years. Told me I was right and moved over to the fire department and has been happy ever since. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I agree. And I really don't think I know what's in his head. I believe you're truly misinterpreting what I'm saying in regards to your post.

I bet he's a great guy. Already a great American to me for serving. Especially over there.

I just used that particular phrase he used to make a small point. Not intended to diminish him, his desire to serve, or as a blanket statement about everyone.

I sincerely apologize if it came off as criticizing him. Didn't intend that

Pira, no apology necessary, I did not take your posts as criticism, rather as a disturbing voice of experience. Disturbing to me in the sense that there is a need in training LEO's to break them down like a two-year old colt. To mold them into a preconceived notion of what a LEO should think and conduct themselves. Cookie cutter approach.

Blue likes a LEO that is all about a paycheck and a family man and does not want to rock the boat. That too, is disturbing to me. I would like to think that when the chips are down and it involves my safety or the safety of my loved ones that there would be no hesitation on the part of the officer to intervene on my behalf. The only faith I can have is the paycheck LEO can switch that mentality on and off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't hesitate to "run toward the gunfire" to help you, but that has nothing to do with my job or paycheck.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 05/11/15.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 9 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.