Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
hey tx aint so far from mo. come be my guest some day. i hold cyber shoots twice a year at my farm. come join us guys. the steaks after the shoot are more fun than the shooting. lol.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
When I get some more vacation time I might swing on up.

Use my 2 weeks every year in Alaska during moose season currently.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
mark your calendar...9-10 oct is our next cyber meet. had 25 last april.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I started competitive skeet shooting when I was 15 years old (44 years ago). I stopped competitive shooting when I got married and started my family but continued shooting skeet and some trap just for fun. I had a skeet and trap club just down the road from where I worked and used to shoot during my lunch hour. Then I got into .22 rimfire benchrest and competed at that pretty heavily and successfully. I've just about run my course with that and have been thinking about shooting skeet on a limited basis again. The last round of skeet that I shot was in 2007 at the range that I first learned to shoot at in my old hometown. That club had to shut down due to the fact that they shot over a body of water and the EPA didn't like it. They held a big event on their last day and I shot the last 25 straight at the club.

I've dusted off the old Browning Ultra Sporter, located my skeet choke tubes and will head to the skeet range this week. Kinda wondering how I'll do after all these years. Getting excited about it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remember, a low house miss at 7, buys the beer.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well I went to the skeet range today and shot a couple rounds. I was shooting some of my old reloads with 1 oz. of #8s. The first round I showed my rustiness. I only managed a 16 but felt pretty comfortable doing it. I thought about that first round and realized that I was probably not married to the stock enough and concentrated on keeping my head down for my second round. I frickin' amazed myself by going straight. Some of the guys I was shooting with called me a sandbagger (with a smile) but I knew the leads and concentrated on keeping my gun speed up and my head down. The nice thing about having done a lot of high level .22 benchrest competition and maybe my overall experience and age but I was not nervous in the slightest as I stepped on station 8 with 3 shells left in my vest's pocket. I'll be doing more.

I never missed the low 7 but I did miss one high 7 by peeking at it in my first round.

Last edited by cooper57m; 05/19/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOVE it! Been doing it seriously for close to 25 years now. Shot lots of registered skeet and sporting clays and want to do some ATA this summer but doubtful I'll take to the extream I did with the other two.

One of my really good friends is a pro, about the time I feel like I can really kick ass he shows up to shut me up LOL!

What guns are you guys shooting?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a couple that I use for Skeet. My favorite is a Browning Ultra Sporter with 30" barrels which I usually choke Sk and Cyl that I bought slightly used in the late 90s. It has an adj comb on the stock and I have used it for trap shooting by raising the comb a bit. I also have a Citori Skeet gun with fixed Sk/Sk chokes and a high rib that I bought in 1982.

Last edited by cooper57m; 05/19/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a few K-guns for years till I stopped shooting registered stuff and then could not justify a 15k scattergun for playin so it went down the road.

Im a 1100 super slut now, the darn things just work. I have all variations, trap, skeet, sporting but Im really liking my 1100 comp synthetic. That gun offers the most for the buck over any other gun on the market IMO. Just a perfect all arounder.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I started out shooting a 1100 SA skeet gun that was my Dad's. My Dad, brother and I all shot that thing when we were all learning to shoot skeet back in the early 70s. When I could afford my own shotgun, I also bought an 1100. When I needed cash in my college days, I sold it. After college I worked off the books at a gun shop. When I left in 1982 to start my career, the shop owner owed me for some back pay. When I told him I needed to get paid before relocating, he said he didn't have the cash. I looked on the rack at the new Citori Skeet model and said, "How bout I take that instead." He went for it. I've put a goodly number of rounds thru it but it is still in great shape.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been shooting in a trap league for about 5 years now.
I shot about 10 years ago, and did fairly well with a double 20. Started up again ,and averaged about 13 the first year, maybe 14 the second.bought a different gun,and did no better.
Got a new pair of glasses,and last year my average was 22.4 for the year.
Summer League starts tomorrow night for me and the 18 yo son. Got him a used beretta Al390 to use this year,but may have to shoot it myself,as he says it kicks harder than the 1100 of my brothers he used before.
I've been using a field model bps for three years now
We use the standard 3 dram eqiuv, 1 1\8 oz of 8 shot mostly.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Sure doesn't seem like 25 years ago...and I cherish this picture, as I was standing in very good company...

I'm on the left, holding my Winchester Model 12 Trap Gun. This was the 16 yard event, and I missed my very first target out..

That's "Zip" Eaton in the center, from Helena, Montana. Zip was one of the best of the best. It was a real privledge to have him as a friend. He was a fierce competitor, even when he shot, and competed into his mid 70's. On his left, is Scott Levengood, from Kalispell, Montana. Scott was one of the best shooters to ever come out of Montana. He still holds many trap shooting records to this day. He was taken from us much too soon in his early 40's from cancer. Not many days go by without me thinking of the fun we had shooting together. On Scott's left is Missoula's Norm Jones. Norm was a master at the 16 yard line and walked away this day with first place after a great shoot off with the other lone 100 straight in AA. On my left is one the best friends I have in my life, Bill Beyl, from Bozeman, Montana. Bill is the most talented "shooter" I've ever known. Rifle, shotgun, pistol, bow, slingshot, it didn't seem to matter what weapon it was, he could pick it up, sight unseen, and make it work. Just about everything I know about shooting, Bill passed on to me..Bill was the first Trap Shooter from Montana complete a Grand Slam. That's 200 straight 16 yard, 100 straight doubles, and 100 straight from the 27 yard line.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thats a great pic!!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Great picture, just wondering if you still have the Model 12 Trap gun?

Doc

Last edited by Doctor_Encore; 05/20/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hey, look what I did.my first!!
got the patch, and a free pitcher of beer laugh

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
Great picture, just wondering if you still have the Model 12 Trap gun?

Doc

I'll never part with that gun....broke a 499X500 in a singles marathon in Billings, Montana with it in 1990.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I love that photo. We have some old ones from teams at Camp Perry at Nationals. Brings back great memories with great friends.

I'm envious, we know you can shoot a rifle, but I never could shoot a shotgun for flip. Birds are thankful though! Lab was always pissed though... But I did at least hit the banded pintail he retrieved... may well have been one of if not his last retrieve.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
anyone here a current 3 game card holding shooter? trap/skeet/s.clays?

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Enjoyed reading all this.. Shot trap a bit in the mid 90s, but now only shoot a bit at the local club.. Been considering skeet.. Tried it several times, but I think I am too old and slow.. The same deal with SC and 5 std.. Hope to get in some trap and skeet shooting when I get back in Wy. and maybe in Mt..

Molon Labe
bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
whats the max you guys ever paid for a skeet or trap gun?

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 60 invisible), 3,224 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.