24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Years back we shot NRA High Power and Service Rifle matches up on Range 6, Fort Huachuca. Our impact area antelope and deer were a common reason to call a cease fire.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Up to 0.5 gr powder, a 22 CB Short in a 24" rifle is BB gun quiet with subsonic gas escapement. Above that charge there is one atmosphere above ambient of supersonic gas escapement, and the amplitude of the wave is + 2A peak, and -0 A trough. This is the threshold of cavitation and as loud as air can get. The frequency content of the wave is dependent on the size of the gas ball when it slows to subsonic and propagates a wave. "The frequency rolls off as a single pole below where the ball diameter = 1/4 ~ 1/2 wavelength of sound.", says the nerd.

Pay no attention to the nerd behind the curtain.

Think of it as a 22 saying "bang" and a 50BMG says "boom".
The 22 just has a tweeter, but the 50BMG with more powder and thus a bigger gas ball, has a tweeter AND a woofer.

The low frequency is harder to suppress. It goes around corners. It carries further. All I heard from Mt St Helens 100 miles away was the bass note. The range built suppressors will work better with rounds with fewer grains of powder.

Blue Dot can often get the job done with half as many grains as 4895.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by forpest
Finally had some time to shoot out the window of the gun room in my workshop.

There's your problem right there. Crack the window a little and shoot from inside. Course I could see how that might cause other problems...

Circles
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Cut the bottom out of a 5 gallon bucket and spray foam on the interior. Mount on a pole so it will be positioned over the muzzle.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
forpest Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ringworm:

Thanks for the idea! I will be shooting out a window, and will build a "Goodyear silencer." There will be a gap between the tires and the muzzle, and you have nailed the extension tube that will solve that problem.

While rummaging through some estate goods, I found a sound meter, apparently used in industrial situations. I believe the PO used it to test rifle noise. I need to replace batteries and make sure it works. Then, I propose to evaluate the Goodyear silencer by firing at least one rifle 5 times before I install it, and then 5 times after. Will also include noise levels to the side at 50 feet and at 100 yards (the house).

The rifle I have with the biggest bark is probably a .30-06. From shooting benchrest, I know a 6PPC has a sharp bark as well. But is that from being around lots of them at a time? I also have a 30/100 SMc with a brake, and will include that in the test as well. I will probably also include a .22 rimfire in the test because it will be easy. Anything I'm missing?

Of course, results will be shared here. Thanks for all the good info!

'pest

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
790 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 87 invisible), 3,152 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.