Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
......and why?
Always been intrigued by this cartridge.
Who has one? What are your experiences?
I know it's a bit much, but seems like it would be an awesome whitetail hammer.

Just ordered one of the limited edition Ruger Hawkeyes from Grice Gun Shop and wondering what to expect.

Probably will be this fall's whitetail rifle.

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Far better deer cartridges abound. I've shot plenty with it but none have been near as impressed as they have been with little bullets going really fast.

Great for bigger stuff, mine is one of the more accurate rifles I own.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have been shooting it for years in various rifles. Moose, elk, black bear, nilgai, deer and hogs. I have used the 250 gr Speer, 250 gr Partiton and the 225 gr TSX (that I have now landed on) with complete satisfaction. Same can be said for my 338-06 and 9.3x62 but I do hold a special liking to the Whelen.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That said, I did hit a deer that was looking straight at me in the center of his chest at 125 yards. He went completely ass over teakettle.

Found the 225gr Partition against the hide in his ham.

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I like it just because it doesn't blow the meat all to hell. Mine easily shoots sub- MOA. Plenty good on big game too. There are other cartridges I like better but there is plenty to like about the Whelen.

Enjoy!

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Steelhead
That said, I did hit a deer that was looking straight at me in the center of his chest at 125 yards. He went completely ass over teakettle.

Found the 225gr Partition against the hide in his ham.

As did this elk via 225 gr TSX at the same range. No bullet found, no bullet exited.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Mauser Ackley version flat shoots bug eyes with 225 SGKs and either Re-12 or 15. I'm a fan.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Browning 1895 rebored for the 35 Whelen. I live on the East coast and initially had it for guided bear hunts in Maine. I never saw a bear when I had it and I actually let deer walk by me because I just felt like I was hunting with field artillery.

I got rid of the 35 Whelen and replaced it with a BLR in 358 Winchester. I just like it better for my kind of hunting.

But I do respect the 35 Whelen and if I hunted heavier game out West I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

Dan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy
......and why?

Just ordered one of the limited edition Ruger Hawkeyes from Grice Gun Shop and wondering what to expect.

The 260 Rem and 35 Whelen are my two favourite rounds. Mine has taken several moose, a bunch of black bears, a stone sheep and a blacktailed deer. Have used mostly 225 gr bullets but in recent years the 200 gr Accubond. Everything had died quickly so far. For deer and black bears it would be very hard to beat the 200 gr Accubond, it is built a bit lighter than the 225 gr version (have sectioned both) but is still plenty tough to handle heavy bone. The 225 gr Partition and Accubond are great choices too along with the 200 gr TTSX.

Gerry.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
......and why?

Shoot 250gr bullets--it should be required in a Whelen.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
They were until I sorted that the 225 TSX would lay like a 180 gr 30-06.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
......and why?

Yes, I really like the chambering. I read a lot about it when I was a kid and bought a custom on a 98K action from a fellow who had gotten too old to hunt.I liked it well enough that I put some money in it after I shot it. Very accurate, especially with 225 grain bullets. I didn't get the velocity I expected out of the 200 grain bullets and i see no need for the 250 grain bullets for deer or elk.

I like it because of the accuracy, the ability to use cast bullets in it and so forth. The shot cartridges made with Speer capsules don't work well though.

I also like it for the amount of power I get in return for the recoil. It gets 2580-2640 or so depending on the 225 grain bullet. That is within 100-150 fps for the same weight out of my 23" barreled .338.

I haven't killed much with it, some pests and a deer at 240 yards or so. I found the 225 TBBC didn't expand as well as I hoped. The 225 gr Sierra seems the best deer bullet. All in all I agree with Steelhead, there are better whitetail rounds,

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used the Whelen to kill many deer, a couple brown bears, moose and caribou. I'm with Steelhead in that there are better deer cartridges. No doubt that it will kill them, but I've had faster results with smaller, faster bullets. For the bigger stuff I can't find anything to complain about. I've used various 250 grain bullets (notably the A-Frame and Speer Hot-Cor) on game animals and won't do that again. Any of the 225s are better performers in my experience. I prefer the 200 TTSX to the 250s, but for bears and moose I'll take the 225 TSX or Partition for most situations. My Whelen has a 24 inch barrel and weighs within an ounce or two of 8 pounds scoped and loaded. I like that it provides great terminal performance on large game with a fairly light rifle and very manageable recoil. It's not a better killer than a host of other cartridges, but as an all-around package the Whelen makes a very efficient rifle for our biggest NA animals.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I love the cartridge. It is very efficient in short barrels, throws a heavy bullet at moderate speeds with very reasonable recoil, can take any game in North America, has great barrel life, etc., etc. My current one has proven to be extremely accurate for a medium bore hunting rifle consistently putting five shots under 0.7 moa with 250 grain Partitions.

Last edited by whitebread; 05/12/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is a great round and here is a rather rare factory Ruger No 1 in 35 Whelen with no quarter rib and iron sights

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I love mine. It is a tang safety 77UL that was a 30/06. I tossed the factory barrel and rebarreled with one of the Montana Rifleman tubes they were blowing out for $40 back 5 or 7 years ago. It wears a Leupold 2.5UL in factory Ruger rings as well as an island rear sight, banded swivel, and ramp front. Barrel is 20" SS with a 16 twist. I put a steel guard and floor plate on it and a red Decelerator on the factory stock that is full length bedded.

I shoot 250s pretty much exclusively now. I've shot critters with 180, 200, and 250 grain bullets and like the 250s best for my style of hunting and shooting distances. I agree with others that it doesn't tend to produce the lightning like kills that higher speed cartridges do but I've never not had a blood trail and a short one at that.

[Linked Image]
Single 250gr Barnes at 200 yards let the steam out of this guy a couple years back, he never took a step. It's the only pic I have with my rifle in it.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I got mine after nudging from several threads like this one. The clincher was when they were footballing out the 700 CDL's for < $500.

I got mine before I had fully come to grips with how vulnerable I am to most things nostalgic. Like most of the others here, I have been very impressed with the accuracy of my rifle, and maybe even the cartridge: I briefly owned a 2nd Whelen, and it was also a sub-MOA shooter.

I diverge from the pack when it comes to recoil. I found 250 Interlocks to shoot the best for me, so I've stayed with them, but they do push me around a good bit. That cartridge is at the upper limit of what I personally want to press the trigger on. That also explains the "briefly" part of the 2nd Whelen.

But the CDL isn't going anywhere. It's a tad under 8#, carries well, points like lightning, and has taken down hogs to a moose with great reliability. If there's ever a bear or another moose in my future, that's the rifle that'll be in my hands.

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 05/12/15.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a M700 Classic in .35 Whelen and I have taken 3 bears with 225 gr Accubonds. It's accurate, and puts the bears down quickly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
......and why?

I forgot to answer part of the question earlier as a young guy I read a lot of Craig Boddington and at the time he recommended using heavy 220 gr bullets in my 30-06 for moose and bears. I remember the day going into a sporting goods store and seeing the advertisement showing the then new 35 Whelen with some heavy RN 250 gr bullets at the same speed as the 30-06 220 gr. I was hooked at that very moment and ordered a 7600 in the Whelen. It has worked very well for me since although the 7600 is long gone......

Gerry.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like the Whelen, admitting upfront that it's not the best fit for an all around deer rifle, it will certainly kill them. Not much it won't kill. It seems 35's are just easy to please accuracy wise even with factory ammo. Plain jane bullets perform well. The buck below took a 200 grain cup/core to the neck from straight ahead and I found it in the opposite side rear hock. Posted these too many times....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a Remington 700 Classic with 22" barrel.
I had an instructor in Gunsmithing school that had an old Springfield bored out and he shot lead bullets in the basement with it.
He also loaded pistol bullets in it and shot woodchucks at a farm I was renting.
That was so impressive I had to have one.
I took it to Alaska on my 10 year anniversary and shot caribou with it.
I loaded the 225 gr. Nosler Partitions at 2700 fps using IMR 4320.
I killed one bear that acted like I hit it with a piano.
It is my favorite deer rifle.
I have tried a lot of bullets and last year used the 250 gr. Speer with Varget.
It is very effective on deer leaving a big, short, blood trail.
225 seems to be much more accurate than 200 grain
but they all kill well.
It throws the 225 as fast as a 30-06 throws a 180 gr. What more could you want?
I have only recovered one bullet and that was on a huge buck quartering away it was a 200 gr perfectly mushroomed.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Not quite. It'll shoot 225's about the same speed at the muzzle as a 30-06 will shoot 200's, about 100-150 fps slower than 180's. And with 225 gr .358 bullets having a BC of around .430 vs about .588 for 200 gr 30-06 bullets ( comparing Nosler Accubonds) the 30-06 has the edge at around 100 yards. The gap widens as range increases.

I had one of the Rugers in 35 Whelen for while and my brother had the 7600. There is no doubt it will kill stuff and is a fun round for those who just want to be different. But there is a reason it never has, and never will become mainstream.

I came to the conclusion that the recoil was just out of proportion to the performance. Both 35 Whelen and 300 WM shoot comparable weight bullets to about the same speeds, and with comparable recoil.

If I'm getting 300 WM recoil, I'll shoot the better bullets available in .308 caliber. Or drop down one bullet weight in 30-06 and get about the same performance with a lot less recoil.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ruger 77 w 225gr Swift AFrames. 352lb 18 1/4" skull.

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Ruger 77 w 225gr Swift AFrames. 352lb 18 1/4" skull.

[Linked Image]

Is this a pig thread? (What a hog! Nice.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Here's a real Whelen dink

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by JMR40

Not quite. It'll shoot 225's about the same speed at the muzzle as a 30-06 will shoot 200's, about 100-150 fps slower than 180's. And with 225 gr .358 bullets having a BC of around .430 vs about .588 for 200 gr 30-06 bullets ( comparing Nosler Accubonds) the 30-06 has the edge at around 100 yards. The gap widens as range increases.

I had one of the Rugers in 35 Whelen for while and my brother had the 7600. There is no doubt it will kill stuff and is a fun round for those who just want to be different. But there is a reason it never has, and never will become mainstream.

I came to the conclusion that the recoil was just out of proportion to the performance. Both 35 Whelen and 300 WM shoot comparable weight bullets to about the same speeds, and with comparable recoil.

If I'm getting 300 WM recoil, I'll shoot the better bullets available in .308 caliber. Or drop down one bullet weight in 30-06 and get about the same performance with a lot less recoil.

......buzzkill

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If left with only one choice for an all around big game rifle it would be the 35 Whelen. I love my 300 H&H and my 400 Whelen but would choose the 35 if I could only have one.

I've taken three caribou with mine and 250 grain Partitions. Only recovered one bullet that traversed the full length of a caribou and came to rest in the right ham. Two dropped at the shot and one was a broadside 250 yard shot. That one went weakly, about 100 yards in a half circle, painting a blood trail that looked like it was made with a paint roller.

The 35 Whelen has a lot going for it as an all around big game round. Recoil is modest, some great bullets available and it pegs out the coolometer.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one in a 700 KS and a 7600.

I've killed a couple deer with various Whelens over the years but I'm pretty much over that. And I much prefer the 225s to keep things light on the back end. smile

Mine flings the 225 TTSX, 225 Northfork and 225 Accubond all pretty much the same.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Gee, boys, thanks SO MUCH for the left-handed compliments...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I have shot my 700 classic a lot. Not killed anything with it. It shoots ANY bullet about an inch and a half...every pistol, lead, fancy pants and pulled 35 Remington RNs...(except some nice looking 286 RNs that shoot patterns and Sierra 225s that go bug hole). I suppose that kind of user-friendlyness is a good thing!

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If one is just going to use 225gr bullets I see no reason to pick this over the .30-06.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I ignored the 35 Whelen for many years, just chalked it up as some old outdated cartridge that was only good for "brush busting." Then in a just a couple days I talked with Matt Bettersworth at Hill Country Rifles about a build and he suggested the 35 Whelen. He mentioned that he had hunted extensively with it and I should look into it. A few days later I called Nosler customer service about something and somehow got on the subject of a 35 Whelen. The gentleman on the line stated that it is very popular with the crew at Nosler and that many of them hunt with it as one of their main rounds. Both parties suggested that it was not just a short range round and with modern bullets like the Accubond and TTSX it was 400 yard elk rifle.

So I got curious and did some research and played with some ballistic calculators. I was surprised to see that it stacked up very well against a 30-06 with a 180 grain bullet. Here are a couple screenshots I took of a online calculator I just found just to give you a idea of the ballistics. This is with a 200 yard zero and each bullet leaving at 2700 fps.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So I said what the hell and bought a used 700 CDL in 35 Whelen, picked up a box of 250 grain Core Lokts and a box of Nosler Trophy Grade ammo with 225 Accubonds. Got on paper with the Remingtons and then zero'd with the Noslers shooting right around 1" at 100 yards and left for Montana for a Elk/Mule deer hunt outside of Butte, MT. Ended up getting a small bull that literally dropped in his tracks when hit. My dad used my rifle on a cow with the same results. We both were pretty impressed. Also recoil doesn't seem any worse than a 30-06 with 180 grain bullets.

The 35 Whelen has since become my primary round. It gives me warm and fuzzies and that is important. It is a round I just want to shoot. For me, hunting it more than just pulling the trigger. I love all aspects of it including the research, load development, range work, history of the round, etc. Is it better than a 30-06? Who knows and I don't really care. For me, it is the round I prefer. There is just something about that big .35 caliber bullet that holds my interest. Life is too short to hunt with boring calibers!

Last edited by STS45; 05/13/15.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Slavek
If one is just going to use 225gr bullets I see no reason to pick this over the .30-06.

Run the 250's in a 7.2# rifle (with scope) and get back to me on the reasoning. smile

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Just joined the club myself.

M70 Classic SS (BACO/S.C.)
Micky Edge Win M70 New Hunter pattern speckletone
PacNor SS #3 1:12" 3 groove @ 22"
Timney MOA trigger
7# 9 oz scoped

Still breaking the barrel in while working up loads. Focusing on 200 TTSX and 250 Horny/Partition for now.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have hunted with the .35 Whelen and 225 gr. bullets for the last 20 yrs. with complete satisfaction. I also shoot cast bullets and .357 jacketed pistol bullets, it shoots them all very accurately. My powders of choice in the Whelen are IMR 4064 and RL-15.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've owned two, still have one. I've never connected with one I kept, I put a couple of deep gouges in it one hunting trip when I took a spill. I never really liked the stock so I sanded it down to remove the gouges, and worked on the stock a bit. Opened the grip a bit, but I'd like to do more and think it's beyond my limited skill. One of these days I'll put it back together and actually hunt with it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/taylorce1/35%20Whelen/P1000449.jpg[/img]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am a fan of the 35 Whelen cartridge. I used one exclusively for hunting whitetail for several years with excellent results. The accuracy from the rifle, a Remington 700 Classic, was quite good with 250 grain bullets.

μολὼν λαβέ
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I hunt with a Ruger K1-A, 35 Whelen. I use it for mid-range elk hunting. Knocked the heck out of a cow elk at 135 yards a couple of years ago.
I tend to gravitate to nostalgia chamberings that still do the job and the 35 Whelen is one of them along with 300 H&H, 348 Win, and 444 Marlin. All used for elk at varying ranges.

Dave

One shot, one kill........
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With heavier bullets it is good choice for: elk, moose, brown bear, bison,.....for smaller game there are better choices. I bought .300H&H on the only hunting rifle. While there is nothing wrong with that for smaller deer species and game calibers like: 7x57, 6.5x55, .308, .270 would be better choices. Thinking little deeper best choices would be: .308, .270Win and .30-06. My friend went hunting in "Tinyville" Colorado and tiny supply store that only had: .223,.308, .270, .30-06 and ,300WinMag in stock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Weight doesn't make a bullet good or bad. I'd like to know how many brown bears you've killed with a Whelen using 200 grain bullets versus 250 grain bullets and describe your results.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd take a 180gr Barnes TTSX all day long and twice on Sunday over a 250gr Cor-lokt

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
theres about 16 solid and consistent long term members and an additional 6-10 guys that seem to come and go, as members in my elk hunt club.
two of the most popular cartridges in my hunting club are the 358 win (mostly in browning BLRs) and the 35 whelen in remington 7600 and several bolt actions) by far the 250 grain speer
the 358 win in the blr pushes that 250 grain speer bullet to about 2300fps
the whelen pushes that 250 grain speer bullet to about 2500fps

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

either and both have an enviable record of a long list of very dead elk and mule deer, so much in fact that several of each rifle in those calibers have been purchased due too the consistent successful results.
I purchased both my 7600 remington and my browning BLR after years of watching both convincingly fill tags.
those two are almost the standard most of the guys use to judge other rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a Ruger No. 1A in the Whelen. Quite accurate but I never warmed up to that particular rifle (and I really like No.1s).

One problem was the skinny barrel. When I put irons on it with full bore 250 br loads that thing kicked! Off the bench it was absolutely no fun and probably the 'fastest' recoiling rifle I ever shot. Ended up selling it on here.

If they had spec'd it with the 'S' medium contour I probably would've kept it. My 1-S in 9.3 balances and feels much better...

Took the Whelen on a combo hunt one year but got zip so I only killed paper and steel with mine.

Nevertheless, a cool cartridge if you dig it...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been carrying one in cdl for a few years now and is very accurate with very reasonable recoil. Some posted that faster killed better and several other cartridges were better for deer such as the the 30-06. Although I would never discount the '06, a Whelen pushing the same bullet faster certainly wouldn't bounce off game.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With heavier bullets it is good choice for: elk, moose, brown bear, bison.

I must have missed the memo. smile

225's:
[Linked Image]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice bear, sir

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by STS45
So I got curious and did some research and played with some ballistic calculators...

+1, great post. I found it also stacks up pretty closely to a 165gr 308.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane
With heavier bullets it is good choice for: elk, moose, brown bear, bison.

I must have missed the memo. smile

225's:
[Linked Image]

Now that's a nice bear! Care to share details?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's a little bear that tangled with a 200 grain bullet from a Whelen.

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
That is a beauty!

He's been whelen'd!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'd probably love the Whelen, if I hadn't discovered the .358 first.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd take a 180gr Barnes TTSX all day long and twice on Sunday over a 250gr Cor-lokt
For deer, having used a host of other bullets in the past, that's undoubtedly the bullet I'd select.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Compare and contrast the terminal performance of a .30-06 vs. 35 whelen, both equipped with a 180 gr. TTSX. Would it be equal?
Same bullet weight, different caliber.
Basically the same cartridge, I guess.
Someone enlighten me please.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The whelen (or338-06) should start any 180 faster than the '06 can, just due to larger bores being more efficient on the same case. How that translates at 3-400, with bc disparity, I dont know....probably not much. I know the .358 w/180s, can be right there with the '06 180 loads I've known.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shot a cow caribou at 325yds with a 180 Speer semispitzer started at 2800fps. Bullet completely went to pieces, never found a fragment bigger than a pencil lead, but the cow went down like I'd jerked the rug out from under her. The 200 TSX works great for caribou and I'm sure it would work just fine for anything else in North America, my rifle launches them at 2700fps and I haven't caught one yet.

I save the 180s for using in my 35 rem super14 TC barrel these days and haven't used a 200 in a while. My gun shoots about 6 different 250s into small groups with no POI shift so I use them. I like the way the 250s perform and I have 7 30/06s for launching 180s YMMV.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Compare and contrast the terminal performance of a .30-06 vs. 35 whelen, both equipped with a 180 gr. TTSX. Would it be equal?
Same bullet weight, different caliber.
Basically the same cartridge, I guess.
Someone enlighten me please.
I would not try to quantify the terminal differences between a 30/06 and a 35 Whelen on deer. As was said in the beginning, there are better choices for deer than the 35 Whelen. However, if I was going to pursue deer with a Whelen the 180 TTSX would be tops in my opinion/experience. The Whelen is a "big" game cartridge and deer are not "big" game.....

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have two rifles chambered in the Colonel's 35...and I have found I get better (smaller) groups with the 225gr pills.
I have taken it on 3 bear hunts,,,but so far the bears heard I was carrying the Whelen and stayed away from the bait.
However, on paper the rifles shoot great.

Have Gun Will Travel,, The more dust on the trail- the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA, VFW, Six Napoleons
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey

Don't leave me hanging! Tell us why? I was just at Sportsman's Warehouse and they had two box of Hornady brass in 358 Winchester for $30 each. I couldn't in good conscious just leave them on the shelf. So now I am eyeballing a rifle in 358 Winchester too. It really is a sickness these damn .35's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't leave me hanging! Tell us why? I was just at Sportsman's Warehouse and they had two box of Hornady brass in 358 Winchester for $30 each. I couldn't in good conscious just leave them on the shelf. So now I am eyeballing a rifle in 358 Winchester too. It really is a sickness these damn .35's.

If you own a Whelen, I think it's required by law to own a .358 too. whistle
[Linked Image]

WWP53D
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I loved my old 350 Rem Mag.
Would love to have a 358 STA

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Or 358 Norma....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SKane

If you own a Whelen, I think it's required by law to own a .358 too. whistle
[Linked Image]

Wow. Damn good looking rifle. What are the build specs so I can shamelessly copy it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Over the years I've owned several different rifles in various calibers, 6.5x55 to 375. I bought a cdl in 35 whelen when they first came out and it quickly became my favorite. It's been used on several hunting trips with shots from 30 yards to a measured 272 yards. For the hunting I've done, about the only situation my whelen would not be my first choice would be antelope out west.

Using Barnes bullets before they were cool.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Then in a just a couple days I talked with Matt Bettersworth at Hill Country Rifles about a build and he suggested the 35 Whelen.

Hill Country builds an excellent Whelen.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wow. Damn good looking rifle. What are the build specs so I can shamelessly copy it?

LOL. Nothing too fancy - .308 screwed out to .35.
Brown Pounder stock / cerakote.

It's a puddytat as long as I keep bullet weight to 225gr and under.

WWP53D
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

I've owned several Whelens.

[Linked Image]

But this one is one my kids will have to decide whether to part with.

Don't always use it, but when I do............

[Linked Image]

the results are usually consistent.

[Linked Image]

JAPPFT

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
there are better choices for deer than the 35 Whelen.

No. There are not! grin

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
NICE! Wheelen, sir!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Son got a Whitworth Express in 30/06 and sent it to JES and had it rebored to .35 Whelen. Sharp looking rifle. Wish I had a photo. Sure knocks the snot outta hogs! Hopefully we'll get to go after elk in October. Bet it will do the same to them! wink

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
As was said in the beginning, there are better choices for deer than the 35 Whelen.

My experience is the opposite. For the deer hunting I do, the Whelen has done as well or better than anything else. Some calibers have worked as well as the Whelen for me, but not better. I use the 225gr Partition.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Another thing to love about the Whelen - shooting plinking loads with pistol bullets. Just try that with a 9,3x62 or .338-06

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agreed! I'm not a fan of playing find the Easter Egg after the shot and with the whelen I generally don't have to.

Using Barnes bullets before they were cool.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd sooner have a 223 than a Whelen for deer.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
When it comes to hunting deer, what is the advantage of a 223 over a Whelen?
It seems like the smaller 223 round would be affected more by wind drift, and downrange energy would be diminished quicker when compared to a 35 caliber bullet.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

With no disrespect intended - that sounds a little obtuse. You may have had a bad experience with the Whelen, but it would be really hard to make a logical argument for the 223 being a "better" deer round, unless recoil and cost are at the top of your list.

There are definitely Whelen bullets I would not use for deer, the 225gr Sierra GK being at the top of that list, but with the right bullet, the Whelen is as good as anything else out there. Not to mention, if it's important to you, with the right bullet choice the big slow bullets can do less meat damage than the lightweight zippy calibers.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Yondering; 05/15/15.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I might agree with this if I was hunting back east, but out west there is no way I'd take a 223 over a Whelen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Me too, but I like'em both about equal. Currently owning a 358Win.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering

With no disrespect intended - that sounds a little obtuse.

It's not obtuse, it's for the sake of argument.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have hunted with 270's for about 40 years, and 35 Whelens since Remington made the legitimate, coming onto 30 years. I go back and forth between between them, as I have never been disappointed by either. Both calibers have proven to be harder to find a bad load than good, they just don't seem to be picky.
My grandsons seem to be finding the same thing.
The 270 with a 130 gr Partition or Etip, and the Whelen with just about any 250 gr bullet are just deadly on game, all of them. Both calibers have produce a bunch of DRT kills for us.
When in doubt, overkill is just right.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BTW, great string guys. Enjoyed reading all of it. Congratulations on the lack of juvenile commentary.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
[Linked Image]

35 Whelen bull 250 Speer

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by SuperCub

With no disrespect intended - that sounds a little obtuse.

It's not obtuse, it's for the sake of argument.

It's far from either. I've never needed to put a second slug from a 223 into a deer. I've shot several deer, several times with a Whelen and you'd never know they were hit.

Furthest I've ever had to chase a deer was shot with a Whelen. I've never had a deer take more than a couple of steps when shot with a 223.

Little and fast is much better on deer, can't fathom a reason in the world for picking a Whelen over say a 243. Nothing wrong with using one if that's what tickles you, but it ain't a better deer mousetrap.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

I might agree with this if I was hunting back east, but out west there is no way I'd take a 223 over a Whelen.

That and some of the 'wind' drift comments. I'm curious as to how many of you are shooting at deer at 400 yards with your Whelen? Show of hands

I can't comment about out west, but I know a 223 works just fine for deer in Alaska.

Again, lots of folks make decisions based on romance, Elmer Keith or Taylor KO values. All of which mean not a damn thing, most especially where deer are concerned.

I've seen more than a few deer get 'thumbed' by 250 grains for friendliness from a Whelen, only to trot off as if untouched.

I'd take the Whelen any day of the week for bigger stuff, but I've no desire to use it again for deer.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

With no disrespect intended - that sounds a little obtuse. You may have had a bad experience with the Whelen, but it would be really hard to make a logical argument for the 223 being a "better" deer round, unless recoil and cost are at the top of your list.

There are definitely Whelen bullets I would not use for deer, the 225gr Sierra GK being at the top of that list, but with the right bullet, the Whelen is as good as anything else out there. Not to mention, if it's important to you, with the right bullet choice the big slow bullets can do less meat damage than the lightweight zippy calibers.

Just my 2 cents.

And again, bullets matter. I've slung enough little Barnes bullets at things that 'meat' damage ain't a concern.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kk alaska
35 Whelen bull 250 Speer

Nice moose ... I shot my first moose with the same rifle and bullet.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

With a sobriquet such as Steelhead,

[Linked Image]

makes one wonder if you ever do any fishing/trolling/chumming.

Just Sayin'

BTW,

why "overgun" with a 22 cal.

[Linked Image]

when you can dink around with 20 Cal, 40 gr. @ 3,850 FPS.

JAPPFT,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's not though. Had I said a 257 Roberts it likely would have been like a bobble head contingent behind the computer screens nodding in agreement.

I would take a 223 over a 35 Whelen any day of the week and twice on Sunday for deer, period.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I liked to kill deer with my 35 Whelen just to agitate my in laws.
I envisioned it as an elk, moose, and bear rifle. I would much prefer it to a 338 Winchester Magnum.
I prefer overkill to wounding animals and not recovering them. Jmho
Bob Hagel wrote that it is better to hunt with something that will do the job when everything goes wrong rather than something that will do the job when conditions are ideal.
whelennut

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not though. Had I said a 257 Roberts it likely would have been like a bobble head contingent behind the computer screens nodding in agreement.

Head bobbing now.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

That and some of the 'wind' drift comments. I'm curious as to how many of you are shooting at deer at 400 yards with your Whelen? Show of hands

I can't comment about out west, but I know a 223 works just fine for deer in Alaska.

Again, lots of folks make decisions based on romance, Elmer Keith or Taylor KO values. All of which mean not a damn thing, most especially where deer are concerned.

I've seen more than a few deer get 'thumbed' by 250 grains for friendliness from a Whelen, only to trot off as if untouched.

I'd take the Whelen any day of the week for bigger stuff, but I've no desire to use it again for deer.

I'd prefer not to shoot at a deer at 400 yards period and rarely do if I can help it. Honestly I wouldn't shoot at a deer with either of those rounds at 400 yards. I'd gladly use a 223 at my buddies farm in Missouri. I'll be in a blind, the shots will be slow and controlled at known ranges, with the longest being about 150 yards. I would choose a Whelen shooting 180 or 225 grain Accubonds hunting mule deer here in wide open Nevada any day of the week over a 223.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

That's a really nice setup!!

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. I'm liking it as well. Bevan King in BC made and installed the bbl with a McMillan and FXII 4x. Weighs 7.5# as shown.

Has shown vg accuracy with 200 and 250gr Hornadys. Hope to get some 250gr Speers to shoot in it tomorrow.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't usually hunt deer with my Whelen but my experience with the 200 gr Accubond @ 2840 fps on black bears has been excellent. Have no doubts it would work equally well on deer. Of course I usually use my 260 Rem and will use the new 270 Win a lot too on deer but the Whelen will deliver if needed. I shot one black tailed doe and a stone sheep with the discontinued 225 gr Ballistic Tip and they both went down fast.

Gerry.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've shot several deer, several times with a Whelen and you'd never know they were hit.

Steelhead, it's pretty easy to imagine that had someone else said that, you would reply with a sarcastic comment about not being able to place a shot with a bigger bore rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't ever shot anything with mine that wasn't already dead so can't comment on that I will state that it's a push of recoil way different than any .300 mag I've fired and that is a huge factor in the enjoyment of it.

I am using 250gr Partitions and 250 Hornady Interlocks.

I've posted the pics in the past but it's a Karnis reshaped Boyd's nutmeg JRS stock on a VZ-24 action with Talley Ruger style bases and Ruger rings Pac-Nor SS Super Match #3 12" twist 22" long teflon coated black.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My Whelens and I have killed somewhere around 15 elk, a few moose, and one big mountain caribou with 250 grain bullets, mostly Speer Grand slams but also the Hornady and Remington standard bullets. A couple more elk with the 225 TBBC and one with the 225 X, and a few whitetail deer with the 250 GS and 225 Sierra.

The elk were all killed very decisively and I was really impressed how the big bullets can break shoulder bones and continue in a straight line to the vitals, unlike my experience with a few 30 caliber bullets which did not do so well against shoulder bones.

I hunt during mixed game seasons, so carry stout elk or moose loads and not deer specific loads. In my opinion the Whelen with stout bullets is not a quick deer killer compared to almost any lighter, faster cartridge. Two of the longest tracking jobs I ever had on deer, and one deer hit and not recovered were shot with the .35 Whelen. Even a .243 with a standard 100 grain would have worked better!

I bet the Whelen would be an excellent quick killer of deer with 200 grain bullets of light construction. I may have avoided the deer troubles by using Nosler partitions, they open quick and penetrate too. But I kinda agree with a previous poster, there are many better deer cartridges out there. And few if any better really big game cartridges.

I don't love my Whelens ( I've had three) but we're good friends and I like them a lot.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I am puzzled by the people who don't like the 35 Whelen as a deer rifle. It has been my favorite deer rifle since I bought it.
Try some Hornady 200 gr. Interlocks and get back to me.
Another possibility is that mine are normally shot in the woods at close range. Maybe at long range when the velocity has dropped of and bullet placement is less than ideal.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree, using lighter built slugs it works well, if you use a slow expanding bullet in any round you will have problems. It is a bullet issue nothing else. Bullets like the Nosler Accubonds and Partitions are an ideal compromise since they open up easily and still can handle something like a moose with no problems.

Gerry.
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Federal offers their Fusion ammo in 200 gr.
Seems like that would be a good factory loaded option for Whitetail.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Didn't buy a 35 Whelen to shoot deer, but of course, had to see if it was up to the task and have taken a few with it. The first rifle was a second hand one built on a 1924 VZ24 action with a Buhmiller 24" barrel, topped with a 2.5K Weaver and weighed in at 10.5 lbs.

Favorite load was 54 grs IMR4320 with a 250gr Hornady RN at 2480 fps. When Ruger came out with the cartridge in their "sylvette" 77 I dumped the VZ24. The Ruger likes the 250 gr Speer with 54grs IMR4320 at 2500fps. Never shot a deer with this rifle, just bear, elk and moose.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Roundoak, what barrel length are you getting 2480fps out of? Was that on a really hot day?

Last edited by whitebread; 05/16/15.
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I was wondering the same thing about barrel length

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
My friends and I have used the Whelen on animals as small as southern deer to eastern moose. My experience with it is that the bullets are what matter most. I've loaded 200gr. Hornady SP at 2700 fps for deer and hogs, Barnes 225gr. TSX for bear and the original Barnes 250gr X for moose. All have worked fine on the game intended. None have moved more than 20 yards from where they were hit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whelennut
I am puzzled by the people who don't like the 35 Whelen as a deer rifle. It has been my favorite deer rifle since I bought it.
Try some Hornady 200 gr. Interlocks and get back to me.
Another possibility is that mine are normally shot in the woods at close range. Maybe at long range when the velocity has dropped of and bullet placement is less than ideal.......
I never said that a Whelen won't effectively kill deer, I just said that it is not the best choice. I've used the aforementioned Hornady and found it devastating on shots through the slats, but have recovered too many of them from deer to trust them on tough angles or larger animals so I've given up on them in my .35 caliber rifles. I should be clear, I've killed more than a dozen bucks with a Whelen and recognize that it kills deer dead. In my opinion and experience there are still much better cartridges with which to hunt and murder whitetail deer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whitebread
Roundoak, what barrel length are you getting 2480fps out of? Was that on a really hot day?
I've no problem getting 2550ish from several different 250 grain bullets in the Whelen and where I live it's a rare day that gets over 55 degrees.....

My present Whelen has a 24 inch tube.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whitebread

24" bbl. This particular load was chronographed at 65 deg.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Interesting. I guess my barrel is lowering velocity more than I thought - 21" with 1/12" twist. I have tried 4064, 4320, and RL15 and have trouble getting much above 2400 fps. The load I settled on is a 250 partition at 2385 fps (63F, 170' dens alt) with 53.5 gr of IMR 4064. Max load was within 25 fps and that charge was reached with both the OCW and ladder methods and proved to be very accurate. I would very gladly give up some accuracy to get another 80+ fps.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Just about every manual I have lists 55.0 gr of 4064 as max. I got 2,400 fps (Horny Spire) and 2,415 fps (NPT) in yesterday's workup session. 56.0 gr yielded 2,470 fps with the Horny from a 22" tube. I'll probably give 56.5 a "shot". Still like Varget better tho . . .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used various powders in the Whelen and never found anything not to love about RL-15, though before RL-15 was available I shot W748 and there's not much to complain about with it either. Various rifles have taken different charges, but 2750 fps has never shown any problems in rifles I've shot with 225 grain bullets or 2500+ with 250s.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I could make do with IMR 4320 or Varget.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well I couldn't help myself. Just came across a new in box Remington 700 Classic in 35 Whelen for $700. Couldn't pass it up. I've owned a couple Classics on different calibers and they were always solid shooters.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
A traditional take on a Whelen...
[Linked Image]

Peep sight in case the scope goes gunnysack on me.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful rifle Utah.

Break......

I think I've heard it all now. If your longest tracking job came from a Whelen etc. I think the bullet or shot was the issue, not the caliber.

Last edited by MGunns; 05/21/15.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
STS: I predict you will love the Classic Whelen. One of my favorites as it's light, accurate, balances well in hand, and packs a punch. Hopefully mine will get its exercise this fall in Maine's Moose Season.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Friend asked me to find him a 7600/.35 Whelen back in the mid 1990s. Found a mint used one that had a Williams receiver sight on it for short money. Pulled the receiver sight off, put on a Weaver base and Leupold 1.75-6 scope and 20 deer and a moose later he is still a happy camper. Only bullet he has used is the 225 Nosler Petition. Last year he killed a beautiful Pa. 8 point that was in the 170# area.

I would probably be a Whelen fan also but prefer short action bolt guns...so I use the .350 RM.... Puts out the same juice in a much smaller package.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have had excellent results in my Whelen with 54gr. IMR4064 both accuracy wise and performance on deer using 225gr Sierra or Nosler bullets. I have a pound of RL-15 and I am going to work up a load for it since it seems to be a highly regarded choice in the Whelen.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What's not to love?

It's big and it's an excellent round (although it will not do really long range) it's powerful and accurate and will kick the crap out of you.

Plus it's old-school.

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DancesWithGuns

and will kick the crap out of you.

Only if you're a effete left wing phaggot like you..

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I just picked up a NIB Ruger 77 All Weather in 35 Whelen for an upcoming moose hunt in New Foundland. Ammo of choice is Barnes Vor Tex 180 grain Barnes TTSX. I'll keep you posted on how it shoots!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by NJelksmacker
I just picked up a NIB Ruger 77 All Weather in 35 Whelen for an upcoming moose hunt in New Foundland. Ammo of choice is Barnes Vor Tex 180 grain Barnes TTSX. I'll keep you posted on how it shoots!

I really hate you. That is the rifle I had been holding out for I just never can find one. Where did you snag?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a Whelen for Primitive Weapons season in Louisiana. It's not very primitive (stainless Apex single shot with 3-9x40). I load it down with RL10x and the 225 Accubond at a bit over 2,400fps. Shoots plenty flat enough for a 225-250yd rifle that won't kick a person too hard. Kills well, even at those ranges.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RJM
Only bullet he has used is the 225 Nosler Petition.
Bob

Does it kill like Congress? grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by DancesWithGuns

and will kick the crap out of you.

Only if you're a effete left wing phaggot like you..

I second that motion. Problem is he knows not that he knows not.
Ignorance can be fixed by education but stupid cannot be fixed. Methinks he's . stupid.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been hunting with my 7600 in 35 Whelen since 2005. KYHillChick bought me the rifle with the help of the guys here as a ST Hubert's Day present. I've shot more deer with it than anything else using mostly 200 gr Remington CL's . It was my rifle of choice for topping off the freezer for a decade. Last year I took it out of the rotation for a 30-06 and a 25-06, and I was happy with the decision.

My reasons for switching away from The Whelenizer:

1) There is only so much mass to a whitetail. There is only so much force to impart by the Whelen before . . . oops, you're out of the deer and in the dirt!
2) I'm reloading, but it was still an expensive rifle to shoot-- a lot more than an '06. It took more powder, bigger bullets.
3) The results were not significantly better than the other deer chamberings I use. Dead's dead, and the Whelenizer was not making them that much deader.
4) Recoil. Look, I don't mind a stout load, but when you can kill a deer with significantly less recoil, you have my attention. When I shoot it, I'm glad Mom made me drink my milk.
5) A few times I went looking for the Remington 200 gr CL and there weren't any.

I'm not a guy that demands DRT, pole-ax, laser death ray performance. I'm a realist. If I can shoot and the deer falls down somwhere I can see from standing in the deer's tracks, I'm happy. By that standard Whelenizer did as good a job as any of my 06's or my 308 using 165 grainers. All can reach out 200+ yards and bring down a deer. If I really had to pick based on dead-in-their-tracks performance, I would probably pick the '06. The Whelenizer just wasn't THAT much better.

On the plus side for the Whelenizer:

1) It is a cool round. I keep one by my chair.
2) It has a distinctive report. Everyone around knows when I've taken a deer. In fact I've had strangers come up to me and ask.
3) It has growth potential. If I ever draw a KY Elk tag, this will be my first choice in a rifle.
4) My buddy shot with a 300 Win Mag for a few years. I thought that kicked much more than my Whelenizer. His was a much heavier rifle too.

So what's the future of the Whelenizer?
It sat out last season, but I am working up a cast load with H4895 and the 200 grain GC RCBS bullet. I hope to be pointing it at a whitetail again this fall. I'm shooting for roughly 35 REM to 358 WIN velocities. I'll be using the same amount of powder as my current 308 loads, and the bullets will be powder-coated pure lead. What's not to like?

BTW: The new chambering I added to the rotation was the 25-06. 35 Whelen is probably the high-water mark for my whitetail battery. I'm starting to investigate the smaller calibers now. It did well as a freezer filler its first time out. Better than the Whelenizer? I shot, the deer ran around the field a little bit and piled up dead. No great muss or fuss. By the time I'm in my 90's, I figure to be taking them from my wheelchair with .223 REM.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by shaman
I am working up a cast load with H4895 and the 200 grain GC RCBS bullet. I hope to be pointing it at a whitetail again this fall. I'm shooting for roughly 35 REM to 358 WIN velocities. I'll be using the same amount of powder as my current 308 loads, and the bullets will be powder-coated pure lead. What's not to like?

I think you'll find pure lead is way too soft for that application, both in the bore and on impact. Air cooled wheel weights is about the right hardness for that velocity range, depending on the meplat size of your bullet. Even with air cooled wheel weights I found a significant accuracy improvement from applying lube on top of the powder coating (to keep the lube grooves from collapsing, not to lube the bullet). That was with the heavier Saeco 352 though; the lighter RCBS bullet may not collapse that way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry, I didn't mean the way it came out. I meant that in contrast to jacketed.

Actually, I'm still experimenting with the hardness. My first loads came out ridiculously hard, even though they were a modest 50-50 wheelweight/lead . They worked for proving the combination worked, but I'm sure they'd shatter on the deer.

I'm still tinkering with it. I've got some powder coat on the way too. Lube and PC? I think I'll give that a try.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

2) I'm reloading, but it was still an expensive rifle to shoot-- a lot more than an '06. It took more powder, bigger bullets.

More powder? That's where you lost me.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sure, depending on the powder. I promise you that you'll use more say 4064 in the Whelen than you will in an 06

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Sorry, I didn't mean the way it came out. I meant that in contrast to jacketed.

Actually, I'm still experimenting with the hardness. My first loads came out ridiculously hard, even though they were a modest 50-50 wheelweight/lead . They worked for proving the combination worked, but I'm sure they'd shatter on the deer.

I'm still tinkering with it. I've got some powder coat on the way too. Lube and PC? I think I'll give that a try.

Something's weird if your 50/50 ww mix is too hard. Are you water quenching them? That would make them too hard. Straight wheel weights, air cooled, expand nicely without shattering. I use it for hunting bullets in my rifles, and all of my pistol or subsonic rifle hollow points.

Bullets on the left are the Saeco 352 (245gr) fired from a 35 Remington. (Far left is old stock, before I powder coated.) Bullet on the right is a subsonic hollow point I made for the 35 Rem and 35 Whelen. All of these are cast from straight wheel weights, air cooled.
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I also use straight wheel weights in the Whelen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Even if its an average of 60 grains of powder for the Whelen and 55 for the 30-06 per pound (which I doubt if its that high for most powders commonly used in both rounds). That means you can only make roughly 116 rounds per pound of powder for the Whelen and 127 for pound of powder with the 30-06.

Figure $35 per pound of powder then powder per round on the Whelen is roughly .30 vs 27 and a half cents for the 30-06. Hardly a drastic difference in cost IMO. Skip the latte once a week and you can shoot 200 rounds per week in the difference. smile

Hard to deny the 30-06 is much more versatile, but the cost in rifle powder is hardly the reason to pick it over a Whelen.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And a Whelen kills deer NO better than say a 7mm08 (because saying 223 snaps too many people), which uses much less powder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HAHA so true...Whelen would be way down the list if only shooting deer.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
But the "cool factor" of the Whelen Is off the charts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

More powder? That's where you lost me.

I was scratching my head at your response and then it dawned on me what we were each saying.

If you were trying to shoot a 200 grain bullet out of a 30-06, I don't know how much powder it would take vs shooting it out of a 35 Whelen. My guess it would be near the same. So in that respect, I agree.

For me however, it was the difference between a 200 grain 35 Whelen round and my standard whitetail load which was a 30-06 165 grain Hornady SP. In that case, both using H4895, the 35 Whelen was taking 10% more powder.

Both do a good job on deer, but between brass, powder, and bullet, the 35 Whelen probably costs me about 20% more than my 30-06 to shoot. I agree that is not a HUGE difference, but it was enough to get me thinking about alternatives.

If I was to limit myself to factory ammo, the difference would be much greater. A box of Remmie Green Box '06 might set me back locally about $20 these days. I saw Remmie Green Box 35 Whelen last fall at Dunhams. The price was $45.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Let's compare bullets of the similar sectional density, so there's an apple-to-apples comparison.

Always used 57.5 gr of 4831 and a 180 gr bullet.

I use 56.o gr of 4064 or Varget and a 250 gr bullet.

Check the economics of 158 jacketed pistol bullet and 13.o gr Blue Dot. Cast bullets are even cheaper to shoot.

What's this factory ammo you speak of? grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

But the "cool factor" of the Whelen Is off the charts.

Damn right!

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Arthur "Whelen" Fonzarelli

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I kindda like it, well I don't know!!!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Whelen, I like it. Miss my 700 CDL, 59-60 GRS of RE-15, 225 gr TSX, Rem. Brass, WLR primer, can't remember C.O.L.Long throated and 24" barrel got 2700 fps. Shot very good.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Just because I read it on the net doesnt mean its safe....35cal.com
T

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"...
Edmund Burke
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Personally if I wanted something little different I would pick 333 Rimless NE Jeffery. One can get 2450+/-50 fps with 250gr bullet in caliber that was used in India and Africa. Much more interesting cartridge imo. Just like with 9,3x62 there is nothing remotely romantic about .35 Whelen.

S
S
the Fusion ammos a very good choice for deer in the 35 Whelen

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 340mag
theres about 16 solid and consistent long term members and an additional 6-10 guys that seem to come and go, as members in my elk hunt club.
two of the most popular cartridges in my hunting club are the 358 win (mostly in browning BLRs) and the 35 whelen in remington 7600 and several bolt actions) by far the 250 grain speer

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

either and both have an enviable record of a long list of very dead elk and mule deer, so much in fact that several of each rifle in those calibers have been purchased due too the consistent successful results.
I purchased both my 7600 remington and my browning BLR after years of watching both convincingly fill tags.

NICE TRY, but you might want to check your pics account regarding that 7600 35Whelen, because it's not a 7600, it's a 760 Carbine in .308 that I restocked. It belongs to me and my grandfather before me.

Here's the same pic you have of MY rifle and another closer pic of the same rifle. The second pic clearly shows the 760 stamped on the side of the receiver. crazy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Uh oh! 🙀

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B

NICE TRY, but you might want to check your pics account regarding that 7600 35Whelen, because it's not a 7600, it's a 760 Carbine in .308 that I restocked. It belongs to me and my grandfather before me.

Here's the same pic you have of MY rifle and another closer pic of the same rifle. The second pic clearly shows the 760 stamped on the side of the receiver. crazy

Lol ouch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a decent rifle:
European carbine

This caliber has been around since pre-WWI and is well proven. The Whelen is 9x63 so as you can imagine the rounds though not interchangeable form practical standpoint are the same. When I had mine the only ammo available to me was Norma brand, but now several companies load for this caliber including: Remington, PPU, Hornady, RWS (long time manufacturer), Federal, PMP, Wolfgang Romey and others.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
That is quite a sight shroud at the end of the barrel!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 340mag

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just out of curiosity but by "restocked" you mean you bolted factory wood onto it? I don't know who's rifle it is and don't care just thought it odd.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Doesn't sound odd to me, it looks like a 760 that had 7600 wood put on it. Are we to understand that 340mag poached a pic of Supercub's heirloom rifle and posted as his own?

Reminds me of Root.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
Just out of curiosity but by "restocked" you mean you bolted factory wood onto it? I don't know who's rifle it is and don't care just thought it odd.

Nothing odd ..... I did simply bolt 7600 factory wood on it replacing the original, thus the reason Mr. 340 was confused on the actual model of rifle he claimed to be his.

Originally Posted by pabucktail
Doesn't sound odd to me, it looks like a 760 that had 7600 wood put on it. Are we to understand that 340mag poached a pic of Supercub's heirloom rifle and posted as his own?

Reminds me of Root.

Exactly!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
never said it was my rifle its just an example posted of the type , of slide action remington

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
So if there's a thread about who loves wives hunting and a guy posts a picture of someone else's wife, gets called, and then passes it off with "it's just an example of the type", as in female, would that guy get a pass?

Just seems sketchy.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Sketchy indeed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
**Please note that I do not actually own the tractor or implement shown in the pic below.**

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The 'Fire never fails to amuse.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yep.

Reading the latest safariman thread in the classifieds is just as entertaining.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have done most of my deer hunting with a whelen for the last 20 years.I have a 700 classic. It shoots all factory ammo well and kills what I shoot with it. It makes 2 holes and leaves a nice blood trail. It doesn't bruise up as much meat as faster lighter bullets.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The .35 Whelen is one of my favorites too,but,it doesnt always make two holes, even on deer .An adirondack buck that I shot in the shoulders with the 200 gr. Hornady psp didnt go all the way through.He did drt though!My 7600 pump is accurate with almost any load that I shoot through it.It also made a 750 lb. dressed weight moose sick in a hurry after being hit with a couple Nosler 225 gr. partitions.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Loved this thread

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If you like to shoot cast bullets in your Whelen you ought to try 15.0 gr. of Unique with bullets from 200-225 gr.. Accuracy in my Whelen is outstanding, it is a nice easy shooting load.

H
H
Have a Remington 750 in 35 Whelen carbine it's a dream to shoot , have been looking 5 plus years for a 7600 35 Whelen carbine I gave up and just recently picked up a mint 7600 270 carbine that jes will be reboring to 35 Whelen. Great bear gun love the carbines short and sweet and they get the job done.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is professional grade short to mid rage caliber very suitable for larger NA game like: large bear, moose, elk, bison,....European version which dates from ca. 1906 wears numbers 9.3x62 while American version is 9x63. Cool, eh?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,355
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.