Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9866076 05/09/15
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Do you clean the flash hole in your brass?

Can you use a small drill to give the flash hole a more uniformed hole? Would it be wise to make the flash hole slightly bigger?

I am Canadian.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/case-prep/flash-hole-uniformer.php

That's what I use on non-euro brass. It uniforms the inside of the case removing any burrs from the flash-hole punch without changing the hole size, which you don't want to do.
I also use it to push out any kernels after tumbling.
Euro brass is drilled I believe, so no flash-hole burrs.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I say never make the flash hole any larger, but keep it cleaned out. Making it larger can have dangerous affects on pressure.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good advice. Know a guy who decided that if he enlarged the flash hole a little he would get better ignition. Which he did.
2nd shot froze the bolt so hard the bolt handle broke off trying to tap it open. laugh
Had to take it to the smith and found out it bulged the barrel and action. Rifle was toast, but he kept all of his body parts. grin

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use a Uniformer on all of my brass, just enough to remove the burr left behind from the punch. No drilling here, figured that out when I increased the size of the flash hole in a muzzleloader nipple, first 2 shots blew the hammer back to a cocked position.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I am in agreement with the others.
I use a small drill bit and 'run it though' the flash-hole.
It does not make the hole larger,,,,just cleans it out and make it a uniform circle.

Have Gun Will Travel,, The more dust on the trail- the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA, VFW, Six Napoleons
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by lastround
I say never make the flash hole any larger, but keep it cleaned out. Making it larger can have dangerous affects on pressure.

+1

K&M makes a nice product for this as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So long as the flash hole is there, I tend to ignore cleaning them up like I used to do along with a whole slue of other case prepping, like weighing brass, reaming primer pocket depths, turning necks etc etc. I just found that now that I am using Laupa and Norma/Nosler brass, these "extra" steps are mostly just time consuming. The three brass choices I mentioned seem to be so consistant, that I've found them to be mostly useless for hunting reloads.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use a flash hole deburring tool for everything unless it's Lapua or Norma, I don't touch them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm still anal enough that I usually clean primer pockets, but the only cleaning the flash hole gets is the small Allen wrench that gets poked in it to make sure the media from my vibratory cleaner is not plugging it.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I use a flash hole deburring tool for everything unless it's Lapua or Norma, I don't touch them.

No reason to touch them as they are drilled and not punched, no burr left with the drilling process like a punched flash hole.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by lastround
I'm still anal enough that I usually clean primer pockets, but the only cleaning the flash hole gets is the small Allen wrench that gets poked in it to make sure the media from my vibratory cleaner is not plugging it.

If you leave your decaping pin in your sizing die, it will take care of that for you when you size and save yourself that step of poking with the Allen key.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Proof, everyone has their own way of doing things... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Some people use the vibratory cleaner after sizing to remove lube.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Then you need to check to make sure that any media is not stuck in flash hole after you remove from tumbler. I use the Lyman flash hole tool to put the bevel cone shape inside the case. I feel it gives a more uniform ignition powder burn. Just my two cents worth.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I never run a drill bit through the flash hole. There is usually a small burr inside the case that I never worried about for years. Then all the talk of needing to remove it got me to try it. I made a de-burr tool with a drill bit and a 1" dowel, works great, didn't do a think to improve accuracy that I could measure. Of course I don't measure my group's to a thousandth of an inch either. I think time is better spent practicing with a one or even one and a half inch rifle than trying to get a quarter inch rifle to shoot a thousandth smaller group with a hunting rifle!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I uniform all my primer pockets inside the new cases if they have been punched. Norma and Lapua brass are drilled so i don't bother. I never re-prime a case without cleaning the fired primer pockets first.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^^^^^^^
This

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I quit all primer-pocket cleaning, flash-hole deburring, etc. etc. many years ago, after testing its effects in a very accurate .223 that averaged 1/4" 5-shot groups at 100 yards. The only factor I found that made any difference was sorting or turning case necks for uniform thickness.

But a lot of handloaders like to dink with stuff, and apparently it keeps them happy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mule Deer,

I quit all primer-pocket cleaning, flash-hole deburring, etc. etc. many years ago, after testing its effects in a very accurate .223 that averaged 1/4" 5-shot groups at 100 yards. The only factor I found that made any difference was sorting or turning case necks for uniform thickness.

Did you ever try squaring the heads?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,663
Posts18,455,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.