Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My first rifle was and still is a N05 Jungle carbine. I have killed just one white tail and a rabid raccoon with it, but probably will never sell her.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
BP-B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
It would be fun to have a 303 Brit and a 30-40 Krag in a Ruger No 1 medium sporter. I have a 30-'06 in a No.1 RSI that is as accurate as one needs and handles as smooth as any bird gun double I ever shot.

Last edited by Aught6; 04/28/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got an unaltered Jungle Carbine that was my grandpa's like most of them its not a great shooter, 3 or 4 moa type of thing I've packed it for bear issues but never really hunted with it. I had a sporterized No 4 though by Parker Hale with their barrel and it shot pretty well 1.5 or so. They sure are dependable though and a cool bit of history smile

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Dont know whether to keep this thread going. My enfields were all cherry picked . i look for good triggers and good barrels. They are still available. I often stop at an open field where you can see there is no living thing and no place where a stray shot may hurt anything, and shoot at random rocks with my number 4. I do reasonably well. I often say to myself Its amazing that the firearms industry hasn't really made much advancements since 1945. I have current remingtons, winchesters tikkas and brownings, but there isnt huge difference .

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My first experience with this caliber was with a rifle owned by my cousin. I'm not sure what make it was but, I do remember it being a stock military rifle with what was probably a cheap scope so, maybe an Enfield but, I can't be sure. Early one morning, I saw him take a coyote at well over 200 yards, across a pecan grove. He dropped the rife down for a split second and then looked though the scope again and said "I got it." I remember thinking this had to be the best hunting rifle ever. I was 14, maybe 15 years old at the time. I'm now 63 and still fondly remember that shot.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So there I was in early 1970's, moose hunting near Cherokee Lake. The bull in question was within 50 yards of us two hunters, but we were 1/2 mile from our weapons, which had been portaged on the first effort (another greenhorn mistake).

Nearly a four-minute mile in full hip-boot-dress, resuted in Alvin, having retrieved his British, placing two 150 grainers through the heart of a 1400-pound bull moose. The rest of the story is long and involves carrying meat, drinking and celebratation. I should write it down some day!
Bill

There are many copies.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
When I was growing up there were quite a few 303 British and 30/40 Krags still being used. And a lot of times the cartridge wasn't even mentioned, it was just the "high power" or "the deer rifle".
My uncle killed his biggest mule deer with the 303 in the early '70's, I don't know the model of rifle or if it even had a scope. What I do remember is that he killed it at the base of some river breaks and the only way out was up and he forgot to bring rope and his license and it was a long way from anywhere.
So he used his boot laces to tie the deer's ankles to a pole and him and his brother carried it out indian style on their shoulders up the breaks.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
just some random thoughts on the .303:

Ruger did have a run of #1's in the caliber a couple years ago, and if one were interested in maximizing the cartridge potential, that would be a good place to do it:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=481388361

I have a #4Mk1. It taught me that headspace gauges were invented for a reason blush It also educated me, that #4's were designed with interchangeable bolt heads, so one can easily adjust headspace. I needed a replacement bolt for mine, and after some testing of different heads from Gun Parts corp, I managed to get the rifle where it would resist closing on a "no go" headspace gauge.

I have only shot factory loads in it, but it seemed to shoot well, so some handloads are likely for this summer's testing.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by SNAP
If, that IS an actual Ellwood Epps conversion, you have a gem.

'Tis a gem, but I have my doubts as to whether Epps had anything to do with it. I don't really know enough about him or his work to know. I do know that the dealer I bought it from could be more than a little full of raw excrement product at times, and it was the dealer I bought it from who billed it as being stocked by Epps. It looks like an old U.S. made Bishop brand stock set to me, but with MUCH more highly figured wood.

Your reference to cold weather hunting made me chuckle as we always hunted deer in BC in late November into mid-December and it was COLD, sometimes below zero. We liked the L-E because it worked so well in such conditions and we always seemed to get our game with them.

Believe it or not, it gets pretty cold here in Oklahoma from mid-November to the end of December when our modern gun seasons are happening (general and holiday antlerless) thanks, in no small measure, to our friends in Canada graciously sharing their refreshing Arctic air with us. But the old No.4 Mk1* is indeed a joy to use under such conditions. Heck, it's a joy to use anytime!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Its nearly 50 years ago, but, I seem to recall that Epps actually did use some of Bishops stocks in his various conversions.

His best work was actually quite decent, but, he did not have a sense of line and proportion equal to that of Al Biesen whose rifles could be had legally in the Kootenays of BC where I lived then and, of course, the JOC influence was strong.

I just missed a G33-40 .257 that he did in a relatively classic style a couple of years ago, thot about it too long......well, too many guns as it is.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E
Telecaster,

Would love to see a pic of that rifle if you have one available?

Regards,

Peter

Ditto!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Pete E
Telecaster,

Would love to see a pic of that rifle if you have one available?

Regards,

Peter

Ditto!

I'd love to post some pics for you but Nigerian Internet Scammers have more sophisticated Internet access than I do here in the heart of the Cherokee Nation. Also, all the digital photos I have of the rifle are really photos of my son using it and they're really photos of him and not the rifle.

You're not missing much, though. The rifle looks like the bone-stock Military Issue Long Branch No.4 MK1* barreled action was fitted with a set of Bishop furniture more highly figured than normal and installed with more effort than simply bolting new pieces on. The wood around the butt socket isn't proud of the receiver, for example, but has been finished to fit level and even with the metal. I know the butt was a Bishop item because I found the butt plate it had on it last night while rummaging through a "misc. bits box" for a set of Weaver rings. The butt plate says Bishop on it and it's the one originally on the rifle when it was mine.

The rifle still has the bayonet lugs in front of the front sight base. I would think if Epps would have had anything to do with it, those would have been ground off. But I don't know enough to know.

I had the barreled action manganese phosphate coated by Federal Ordinance in South El Monte, CA shortly after I bought the rifle. I don't remember what made me think that having that done was a good idea -maybe I thought it would be more weatherproof for hunting pigs in February through April, when the Central Coast of California gets a fair amount of rain. Maybe I just thought it would look cool... I don't remember.

Anyhow, I may well try to post pics of the rifle, but I'll have to take some new ones and will probably post them in a separate thread when I do.

Whether Epps had anything to do with it or not, it's a cool rifle and it was a favorite of mine that got a lot of use before I gave it to my son.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Here is my 200 yard target from my 303
[Linked Image]

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I killed several deer when I did hunt with one of my .303's.
My favorite load was mild but effective. I used a 180 grain soft point Speer over 40 grains of IMR4895. I got really acceptable accuracy and it was not a particularly harsh recoiling load. None of my .303's had recoil pads on them.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
449 members (300jimmy, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 39 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,932
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.