Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Harry M
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
They are saying that he was flying at over 100 mph on a curve with a speed limit of 50...

He has lawyered up and is refusing to talk to police.

Another case like the airliner pilot that dove the plane into the ground?

https://news.yahoo.com/amtrak-train...stigation-begins-073410531--finance.html

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The Amtrak train that ran off the rails in Philadelphia, killing at least seven people, was hurtling at about 107 mph moments before it entered a curve where the speed limit was just 50 mph, an Associated Press analysis of surveillance video indicates.

The engineer at the controls refused to give a statement to authorities Wednesday and left a police precinct with a lawyer, police said.

More than 200 people were injured in the derailment that plunged screaming passengers into darkness and chaos Tuesday night.

Amtrak, ahhhh...yes....another taxpayer funded boondoggle. 2 Billion Dollars a year in Taxpayer subsidies, millions and millions handed out in Taxpayer funded pensions, something like 16 unions making sure the "employees" have zero accountability, a board of directors that are simply political hacks with zero railroad experience, a welfare entitlement program and not really a railroad.

Other than that.....what could go wrong.....

And as mentioned they own very little or none of the rails they run on. Now how much does that save them?

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by mohave_mauler1
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I read that he left the station sixteen minutes behind schedule. He was speeding to make up time. If the speed limit was 50 on that turn, like on a highway the turn probably could be taken in relative safety at 70 or 75 mph and in a pinch, it probably has been taken at 90 mph fairly regularly.

He just screwed up and was going too fast and then panicked. There was a retired Amtrak conductor on the radio last night who said that the train would have made that turn at 106 mph without too much problem except that he panicked and hit the emergency brakes. The brakes work from front to rear with the front cars slowing down first. Hitting the emergency brakes going that fast into a turn like that made all the back cars pile onto the front cars that had already slowed down first and caused the derailment.

It is like driving a car, the worst thing you can do is panic and lock up the breaks going into a turn.

No railroad curve is good for double the speed, even with relatively light passenger equipment. Maybe it would hold at +25ish. Nobody regularly takes curves or violates max speeds, especially not by more than 10mph over max speed. FRA takes their card for 30 days first offense and a couple more times and card can be gone for years.

Maybe, but nobody, unless he was having some sort of medical emergency suddenly decides to go 106 mph into a curve that is rated for 50 mph. He had been taking that curve way over the posted speed limit for a long time. Maybe the limit on that curve was artificially low or maybe he was a daredevil. Who knows? But you don't suddenly go from 50 or 60 mph to 106 mph. More likely he was going from 80 or 85 mph to a moment's inattention and being further down the track than he thought, and then entering it at 106 mph.

I get what you are saying, but that is what is SUPPOSED to happen. It obviously wasn't happening here because you don't go from 50 mph to 106 mph.

Dude fuct up. These aren't cars, you don't just take curves at way over speed on a regular basis if ever "because you know they are good for it". He may have gotten away with it a few times but if he made it a regular practice he would not have been working because the FRA would have pulled his card. I'm not sure what this idiot was doing, whether he was trying to kill himself and crash the train then chickened out at the last minute and tried to slow down or if he somehow defeated the crew alerter and fell asleep then woke up and threw the brakes on to late. Being able go go over 90mph is a big deal. Only very few trains on certain tracks, with certain locomotives can do it. If his train didn't qualify to do that speed he would have had to disable an over speed device that would have applied the brakes at +/- 94mph. I would like to know the max passenger speed for the subdivision he was operating on. Bottom line tho this guy screwed up in a big way.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just saw the NTSB spokesman repeating the same BS. They're giving him a few more days before his interview because he's "traumatized". In my experience when an operator is involved in a screwup or even a close call they don't get the kid glove treatment for sure. He is a weird looking guy, I wonder if his lawyer is threatening and demanding special PC treatment because he's a special...person, being ginger and all.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
That NTSB spokesman is a weird looking little bastage too.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the Corridor is Class 6 track, good enough in cross-level and integrity for 110. The rail is 142 pound in many places, concrete ties, inspected for geometry at least weekly if not daily. Amtrak has a special geometry car that is out there all the time on secondary trains. It is objectively in the best shape it has ever, ever been, very impressive.
ACELA is good for 125 and 150 under special rules, class 7 and 8, but only Acela.
Amtrak owns the Corridor, the old Michigan Central (at least big parts) and from Philly to Lancaster, those were taken from Penn Central upon the formation of Conrail.
As for the brakes -- no, these are electropneumatic systems with no dwell or delay from front to back. The brakes went on at the same time, but too late to be of much effect. It is a matter of physics that the faster you go, the less effective the brakes happen to be.
This guy spaced out big time (at 100 mph, 7 miles go by real fast) and blew his chance to set his air. Unlike the thousands and thousands of other engineers who have made it around the Frankford Junction curve safely in the last 80 years, this numbskull screwed the pooch. And killed eight people, and hurt a lot more, and ruined millions of equipment Amtrak really didn't need to write off.
I vote jail.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Do passenger trains of this type not have a co-pilot like planes do?

Why the heck not? It's the same concept.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SBH
Do passenger trains of this type not have a co-pilot like planes do?

Why the heck not? It's the same concept.

The ones that run longer distances like trains 3&4 have an asst engineer in the cab with the engineer. Not sure about the commuter trains.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
Just saw the NTSB spokesman repeating the same BS. They're giving him a few more days before his interview because he's "traumatized". In my experience when an operator is involved in a screwup or even a close call they don't get the kid glove treatment for sure. He is a weird looking guy, I wonder if his lawyer is threatening and demanding special PC treatment because he's a special...person, being ginger and all.

They already have the download from the event recorder and know every thing he did from the moment he took the controls. He will have to explain why he did not slow for the curve. He can have as much time as he wants, there is no good reason short of a massive heart attack which it doesn't look like he had.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
He can't drive 55.

The old Sammy Hagar made me do it defense... smile

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Where you been, Brother Bart ? Glad to see you posting.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Where you been, Brother Bart ?

Austin and fighting with the VA.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dayom! That's no fun at all!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Where you been, Brother Bart ?

Austin and fighting with the VA.

figured you were romancing ol' Renee!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I think the reason for it is his gay activism and that he putts from the ruff. Not sure why the media hasn't gone after that facet.

He could make 1000 posts about gay activism and not a word heard from the press. If he made 1 pro Tea Party post he'd be crucified.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Last edited by SBH; 05/14/15.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
SBH's link say's the engineer has a lifetime obsession with going in and out of tunnels in groups. Personally I like feeling my way around peaked mountains.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Never let a good tragedy go to waste.

All of the bodies hadn't even been recovered yet and the Democrats were already screaming for us to throw money at it and called for more spending on infrastructure even though it was probably human error. All of this before we even know the cause. Currently we're spending a billion dollars a year on Amtrak.

We've seen how well they manage spending. What the heck happened to the $800 Billion Stimulus Package that didn't stimulate. Oh yea, it went to the unions and then kicked back to the DNC.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They will find he was surfin the interwebs right before the crash.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When this sucker hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious schitt.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
They are saying that he was flying at over 100 mph on a curve with a speed limit of 50...

He has lawyered up and is refusing to talk to police.

Another case like the airliner pilot that dove the plane into the ground?

https://news.yahoo.com/amtrak-train...stigation-begins-073410531--finance.html

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The Amtrak train that ran off the rails in Philadelphia, killing at least seven people, was hurtling at about 107 mph moments before it entered a curve where the speed limit was just 50 mph, an Associated Press analysis of surveillance video indicates.

The engineer at the controls refused to give a statement to authorities Wednesday and left a police precinct with a lawyer, police said.

More than 200 people were injured in the derailment that plunged screaming passengers into darkness and chaos Tuesday night.

If he is a WHITE guy then he is in very big trouble.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
399 members (280shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 51 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.