Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't mean off body, necessarily, but i'm thinking about a maxpedition versa-pak to carry when traveling - sort of a mini go bag to keep all the normal "stuff" in one place on family get aways. Aside from the obvious things to be carried, I think it could be handy to keep things like a camera, keys, and just general stuff without the bulk of a full backpack

Anyone ever consider one of these?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Diaper bag works better. No one will give it a second look as long as the kid is present. My wife bought me a camo diaper bag so it didn't look weird when I used it.

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maxpedition screams gun to me. A diaper bag sounds better, but only if you have a baby with you. Otherwise, it is like wearing a photographer's vest without carrying a camera.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Sounds like a messenger bag would work, one from a non-"tactical" maker, and especially one without MOLLE attachment points, FDE fabric, etc. I have a Timbuk2 messenger bag that I carry to work and it is very well made and functional. Might be worth a look; you'd have to add a holster but there's plenty of ways to do that without calling attention to the bag.

Last edited by Oregon45; 05/14/15.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm currently working at an Embassy overseas and all the security folks carry a Maxpedition bag with emergency gear, but we're in a semi-tactical environment. I think if I was looking for an alternative carry for more gear than I could carry on my belt/pockets I would look at one of the single-strap backpack. Google "sling bags" or "sling backpacks" and you will see all sizes, shapes, and colors. You see them everywhere now days...

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Maxpedition screams gun to me. A diaper bag sounds better, but only if you have a baby with you. Otherwise, it is like wearing a photographer's vest without carrying a camera.

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have two that I have been carrying for 20 years....

One is a small black pouch that can carry a 1911 size pistol but rarely does as it has my chackbook wallet, glasses, sunglasses, extra keys, lighter, energy bars, some para cord, meds, small first aid kit...sounds big but it isn't. It was made by a company "Ellis of Florida" but have never been able to find the company to buy another one. BagMaster has some that are similar...

The second is a MountainSmith lumbar pack. This can hold the small bag, camera, water bottle, rain jacket, just lots of "stuff". Can be carried as a waist pack, with a carry strap or like a backpack using the MS "Strapletts".

Neither scream "GUN". Will try and post a picture later...

Eagle Creek also makes a lot of small to medium size belt pouches that don't scream gun...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one of these Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack that gets occasional use. It really isn't very comfortable to lug around and I find that I pay too much attention to it when a gun is in it and it isn't over my shoulder.

[Linked Image]

Put a big water bottle in the side pouch and nobody pays any attention to it as a potential gun transportation device. However, if you want something that folks don't associate with guns, use an old SLR camera bag.

IIRC Sam (Mannlicher) posted a while back that he has one and likes it.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I carry a Maxpedition Fat Boy Versa Pack everywhere I go. If I go into the grocery store, the bag stays in the 4Runner, behind the seat and out of sight. My pack has the main compartment, and 6 others.
In mine, today, there is:
CZ 75D PRC with three 14 round magazines
camera
alternate cell phone
back up meds
small first aid kit
ESEE Candiru knife in Kydex pocket sheath
Spyderco Native 5
Swiss Army multi tool, as well as a CRKT pry bar tool. Measuring tape, and other tools
Keys, that I don't want to carry in my pocket
water bottle
Clif Bars, Altoid mints
two Surefire lights
charged battery gizmo to keep my iPad or iPhone charged
iPad Mini, along with charger, cables, patch cords, ear buds
'mini office' in one of the pockets. Check book, calculator, pens, stamps, other items
Billfold, change, eye glasses cleaner, sun glasses,

I am sure other stuff is buried in there somewhere. Weighs a bit, but when I leave the house, I have everything I need with me.

oh, front pocket of my shorts has a S&W 442, along with a couple of Bianchi speed strips, another pocket knife (today, a belt knife).
Behind the front seat, there is a .30 USGI Carbine and extra mags.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 05/15/15.

Sam......

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I very strongly feel that if one carries in social situations, the gun must be carried on the person.
I've got a good friend, a retired LEO, that has two guns stolen because he left them in his car while having lunch or using an ATM.
That said, I do carry my extra magazine in the glove box of my Jeep when out and about.
When doing my exercise hikes, in and out of our local canyons, I do carry my SIG 220 in a Mountain Smith Lumbar Pack. But I also have a five ft. long walking stick and a folding knife with me as well.
But, rain or shine, even in very hot weather, the 220 rides in it's IWB holster under a loose fitting shirt. E

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I carry a Maxpedition Fat Boy Versa Pack everywhere I go. If I go into the grocery store, the bag stays in the 4Runner, behind the seat and out of sight. My pack has the main compartment, and 6 others.
In mine, today, there is:
CZ 75D PRC with three 14 round magazines
camera
alternate cell phone
back up meds
small first aid kit
ESEE Candiru knife in Kydex pocket sheath
Spyderco Native 5
Swiss Army multi tool, as well as a CRKT pry bar tool. Measuring tape, and other tools
Keys, that I don't want to carry in my pocket
water bottle
Clif Bars, Altoid mints
two Surefire lights
charged battery gizmo to keep my iPad or iPhone charged
iPad Mini, along with charger, cables, patch cords, ear buds
'mini office' in one of the pockets. Check book, calculator, pens, stamps, other items
Billfold, change, eye glasses cleaner, sun glasses,

I am sure other stuff is buried in there somewhere. Weighs a bit, but when I leave the house, I have everything I need with me.

oh, front pocket of my shorts has a S&W 442, along with a couple of Bianchi speed strips, another pocket knife (today, a belt knife).
Behind the front seat, there is a .30 USGI Carbine and extra mags.

Sam, sounds like you're ready to go down into the 'hood. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My boys are in there teens, so carrying around a diaper bag would look pretty out of place for me.

I have a Maxpedition Fat Boy as well loaded up with similar items as Sam's and for the same reasons you list. I only carry mine when on hikes or other similar outings while traveling. Otherwise, it stays in the truck. I'd much rather have my gun on my person than in a bag that I can be separated from. Usually, the gun in the bag is there as a backup to the one on me or as an extra one for a family member.
They are available in all kinds of colors and I got mine in a non-tactical color. Looks more like a camera bag than anything else.

It is nice cause, as you say, it's not as bulky as a full back pack. Just big enough for some essentials.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (14idaho, 35, 280shooter, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 701 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.