Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#9694935 03/18/15
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Gonna be in FL in couple weeks and fishing out of Boca Grande or Stumps Pass area, mostly off shore, but not way out. If the mackerel are running whats the best way for a nominally set up guy to go after a few of these? Probably try a little bottom fishing for snapper, so any advice for that is appreciated too. Im all set with a boat, but a slim selection of artificial lures.

GB2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
17Hunter, When you say Stumps Pass, you probably mean Stump Pass at the end of Englewood Beach. You're talking about one of my favorite places on earth. If you go over the bridge from Englewood to Englewood Beach, you'll get to a point where the road stops and the sand starts. That's Englewood Beach State Park, which runs all the way down to Stump Pass. You can't drive the beach side at all, but you can walk. It's a fair walk, so be prepared. But, there are some sandy paths on the intracoastal side where you can pick your way through to a couple open spots to fish. That's pretty, too, and not bad fishing either. Spooked snook and redfish running through there in a boat in the early a.m.

Englewood and Englewood Beach are, shall we say were, a couple of sleepy little old FL cracker towns until a few decades ago. They've grown in size and popularity, but still somehow managed to maintain their old FL charm and pristine environments. The outside beach at Englewood Beach State Park is a big sea turtle nesting area in season.

I've probably caught more fish in less time in this area than anywhere else in FL. When I was younger, I spent a good part of a summer building a car dealership nearby and we caught fish everywhere we tried. We also netted big shrimp from the Englewood bridge with long dip nets at night. Every night after work was a race to get out to fish. Caught boatloads of snook, redfish, trout, snapper, and even caught a 10 black grouper from one of the docks on the inside one night after we already had a cooler full of the other usual suspects. BTW, we ate everything we caught, so most of our discretionary income went towards beer. smile
There were plenty of times we'd fish 'til the wee hours and get up and go to work the next day, and do the same thing the next night.

As for Boca Grande, it's a great spot to fish, too. However, I think accommodations may be a little richer in that area. The big tarpon tournament is in June, IF I'm not mistaken, which means beaucoup big money tarpon boats sitting right in Boca Grande fishing the tarpon tourney for the big prizes. There are still plenty of other fish to catch there at the time you're going.

Since you have a boat dialed in, you should be golden on wherever you choose to go. There's a BassPro down south of you. BassPro has a small 5 ft bait net they sell that can roll up and fits in a box less than the size of a loaf of bread. Good idea. Hint, hint.

Also Suggest you try http://forums.floridasportsman.com/ for other local tips and more info.

Also, IMO, the best pizza in FL comes from an old wood paneled walls Italian place in Englewood on Placida called:

Angelo's Pizza
2611 Placida Rd
Englewood, FL 34224

Look at it on Google Maps. Looks like a schithole, doesn't it. smile

HTH, and enjoy your trip.

Best Wishes,
LD

Last edited by local_dirt; 03/18/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Did you graduate from Lemonbay? I did. I loved out on Manasota Key, just south of the county line. Still remember the wooden bridge headed out to the beach.

LOVED Angelo's back in the day. We use to fish/shrimp on the old railroad trestle headed out to Boca.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
You indicate a preferrence for nearshore fishing. Really anywhere in Florida you will find live bait the preferred choice. plain jigs in 1/8,1/4 and 3/8 oz sizes will serve you well as will an assortment of hooks and sliding type lead. Fluro leaders help also. Id not be worried about not having many lures. Live shrimp will do an excellant job on everything you want. Visit a few local tackle shops and discuss your intentions and they will help you.
Boca Grand might be a good place to avoid during the peak tarpon
season. Spinning outfits cover much of the Florida fishing
including larger species. 2 rods, 1 10/12 lb and another 15/20 pound class should cover most of your needs.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks guys. Yes it will be more near shore fishing. I have shore fished at Englewood Beach, Manasota Key for the last 15 years. Always had decent luck with Spanish Mackerel, flounder and ususally 1-2 pompano each year. We will be staying in Venice for the Spring Break with my in-laws. We will be taking a boat out of Venice, Placida and Stump Pass. 3 days on a boat and 1 day spent with a Charter Boat Captain. I can't wait!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Did you graduate from Lemonbay? I did. I loved out on Manasota Key, just south of the county line. Still remember the wooden bridge headed out to the beach.

LOVED Angelo's back in the day. We use to fish/shrimp on the old railroad trestle headed out to Boca.

No, SH. Didn't graduate from Lemon Bay, but fished that whole area we're speaking about a lot. College sweetheart's Mom had a house on a canal in Northport. Her dad was a PD Sergeant and was a complete outdoor sportsman nut. Did a ton of fishing with him out of his 20' open fisherman all through here and also up in the Myakka river. There are some monster snook caught around the bridges on the Myakka. Their backs are really dark most of the time, due to the tannic water there.
Have fished that area for many years since and really love it there.

Pretty cool you're another Angelo's lover. Place looks like a schithole from the outside, then you open the door and walk in and the place is packed. smile

17Hunter, as was mentioned, live bait works very well. If you really want to try some artificials, you could pick up a few Capt Hank Brown jigs in the sizes above and tip them with some shrimp or squirting some scent on them that you can pick up at BassPro. Mirrolure are also good, as well as YoZuri's.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
All my old stomping grounds. The snook fishing was amazing back then. I've chased some hogs off the North Port road, but most of our hog hunting was in the flats near Placida.

I haven't been to Englewood since 1987, but as a kid you could sleep in the middle of the road and not worry about getting hit by a car.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have really enjoyed spending a week each year in and around Venice, but it has really built up in the last decade. Now with kids, we are pretty much stuck going during spring break with every other human on this planet it seems. Now that my kids are older they enjoy spending more time on a boat fishing than they do battling the crowds at the beach. The only thing I hope for is decent weather and a calm Gulf. Catching some fish will be a bonus.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's it, river road was the road from Englewood to N. Port, I couldn't remember what we called it.

Sorry for the interruption.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Steelhead, did you ever fish the runoff behind the Publix in Northport? That used to be a good spot. Kinda' steep getting down to the water, but oh boy, if it'd been raining a lot. As some other places, I've caught 'em on the first cast when the sun, moon, and stars all line up. smile
Remember when the local newspapers used to print the solunar table on page 2 of the sports section? It wasn't perfectly gospel, but myself and plenty of old buds have used it to success on more occasions than I can remember.

Love the backwoods areas around Northport. Back in the day, you could drive all over out there on paved roads, but no houses and rarely any other people! We'd park and just walk out into the fields and woods and shoot clays with SA Ruger .44's and shotguns 'til our hands and shoulders got tired, then go fish with ultralight gear and beetle-spins in the tiny little creeks buried back in the woods for panfish.

17Hunter, You can fish for gar around some of the bridges over fresh or brackish water, if you're so inclined. When I used to mess with that around supper time, after a while I started taking the hooks off the lures. Got that tip from an elderly gentleman who lived in the area. The gar will grab onto the lure and only let go when they feel capture is imminent. Kinda streamlines the whole process. smile

Most people, even locals, still don't know how expansive and wild it is back in there. It's the largest "city" in Florida.

As the Sarge used to say, many a pot plane got unloaded out there on those remote paved roads.

Have heard hogs have gotten more prolific, but I would not know. Haven't hunted over there in some time now.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
All my old stomping grounds. The snook fishing was amazing back then. I've chased some hogs off the North Port road, but most of our hog hunting was in the flats near Placida.

I haven't been to Englewood since 1987, but as a kid you could sleep in the middle of the road and not worry about getting hit by a car.

Steelhead, we probably drove right past each other in '87, buddy. Hope you're doing well.

Best Wishes,
LD

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Still hogs on Cayo Costa. I see them out there quite often on the beach in the early morning.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice spot. Drill one! smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
841 members (12308300, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 83 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,195
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023
<

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.