Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by 79S
I have 3-4 boxes in storage in colorado and I don't even own s 30 caliber anymore.
What are you going to do with all those?

I picked them up at a gunshow in Alaska when I had a 300 WSM. I also have a [bleep] of the 8mm 220gr SPFB bullets. They discontinued those in favor of the 195's.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
HR IC

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hornady has a bad habit of canning the old tried and true stuff, for all this new 'better' stuff.. as that is what sells...

society has migrated from Tried and True, to believe in "new and Improved" BS...

give me a good old round nose any day, as I don't need a 500 yd load, I need something that performs at 250 yds or under, regardless of impact velocity...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Color is a marketing tool. It works too.
Shiny nickel cases with black bullets.....
Blems aren't shiney enough.....
Plastic tips can be un any bright color.....
Silver Tips were part of the transition
Shapes too, make a bullet different, boat tails, hollow points almost too small to exist, Boat tails, releif grooves, things you can't see like bonding, ogive changes, BC's beyond need, retained weight?
What maket segment have I missed?

And then you see a thread on the rediscovery of the humble .30/30 using factory ammo. If we want to be as good as our forefathers, maybe we can drop the camo and these endless anti human pong sprays, also incidently in bright colored spray top bottles and grab a pair of bib and brace overalls with matching flannel shirt and leather work boots, the extravagence being, 2 pairs of sox.

It can cost an aweful lot to kill a deer because of all these improvements and, don't forget your cough silencer......

Maybe we are just a gullible generation but I do like warm sox and boots and a warm jacket that breathes and......

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is what Hornady sent me in regards to the 190 gr BTSP.

"We definitely appreciate the feedback as we are always looking to improve upon our products. Unfortunately the 190gr BTSP is obsolete and we understand how one feels when something they have used with great success is no longer available. We appreciate your business."

I can't believe they would call the bullet "obsolete" I prefer the regular flat base and BTSP Interlock's to anything else they make. I guess I must be in the minority these days.....

Gerry.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To be obsolete I'd have thought there'd need to be a better, very similar product at the same or cheaper price within the same brand.

Maybe I've missed it, but not sure what that is?

The 180g BTSP Interlock is the closest but it isn't better. And it has been around for donkeys' ages too.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Here is what Hornady sent me in regards to the 190 gr BTSP.

"We definitely appreciate the feedback as we are always looking to improve upon our products. Unfortunately the 190gr BTSP is obsolete and we understand how one feels when something they have used with great success is no longer available. We appreciate your business."

I can't believe they would call the bullet "obsolete" I prefer the regular flat base and BTSP Interlock's to anything else they make. I guess I must be in the minority these days.....

Dammit. I dislike options going away. Thanks for clarifying from the source, Gerrygoat. Their reply sounds to corporate for me though.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 05/21/15.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bobnob17
To be obsolete I'd have thought there'd need to be a better, very similar product at the same or cheaper price within the same brand.

Uhh, they've got Zombie Ammo. How did you miss that vital detail? (You don't even have to hit with it; all you need to do is get close, as long as you do it fast and frequently.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Sounds like Armalite Marketing from 50 years ago.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Damn. i really liked the 190 BTSP in my .300 H&H

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Ingwe
If you have a 7x57 and a .300 H&H, that almost obligates you to top it off with .465 Royal H&H Double?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That bullet was the heat on elk and accurate to boot!!!

They did the same thing with the 220 gr 8mm and the 375 300 gr BTSP

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Bummer. I have 200 of them I bought for my 300 WSM and .30-06 but I haven't worked any loads up for them yet.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a big fan of Hornady BTSPs, that being the only one I've cared much for in a hunting bullet. Next up, they'll probably drop the 139 SP in 7mm and the 129 in 6.5 since those are the two other Interlocks that see more use in my rifles.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The good news is that we have lots of bullet options today. The bad news is that some of the old standbys are being dropped.

I just emailed Hornady regarding 100gr 257 interlocks and 120gr HP Interlocks. The answer was that the 100grainers are scheduled for production in July. But they don't have the 120s scheduled "at this time " smirk

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I'm not a big fan of Hornady BTSPs, that being the only one I've cared much for in a hunting bullet. Next up, they'll probably drop the 139 SP in 7mm and the 129 in 6.5 since those are the two other Interlocks that see more use in my rifles.

The 6.5 mm 129 gr Interlock is one of my favourites too, accurate in any 6.5 mm gun that I have ever tried and works well on game too. About to try some in the new 260 and expect good things.

Gerry.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
My old '06 shot the 190 BTSP like it was a target bullet at 2800 fps. I sold the rifle before I got the opportunity to try the bullet out on elk. But am convinced it would not have bounced off.

I replaced the '06 with a Ruger #1 in STW, and it shoots the 162 gr BTSP as well as the '06 did the 190. And I have successfully used the 162 on a couple of bulls. I was very pleased with the results.

But alas, I am one of the customers who drove Hornady to declare the BTSP an obsolete design.

I have two hundred STW cases presently loaded with the 160 Nosler AB from Shooters Pro Shop, and the cabinet is devoid of the Hornady BTSP.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

The 180g BTSP Interlock is the closest but it isn't better. And it has been around for donkeys' ages too.

I'm thinking the 180 btsp is more popular and probably contributed to the demise of the 190. I gave the 190 a fair chance in about 5 of my 30 cals and to be honest, the 180's shot better. There's little to no gain in going to the 190 vs. the 180 and I'm sure Hornady feels the same way as they reviewed sales of the 2 bullets.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Damn. i really liked the 190 BTSP in my .300 H&H

Sure, I saw a picture of you the other day in my Barnes manual.... whistle Don't let them know you've been using plain ol Hornady's in that H&H.. laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Uhh, they've got Zombie Ammo. How did you miss that vital detail? (You don't even have to hit with it; all you need to do is get close, as long as you do it fast and frequently.)

True, can't believe that eluded me!

I actually wet newspaper tested the 168g Zmax (which I believe is just the Amax with a green tip) vs a 180g Interlock and the Zmax ain't no Interlock that's for sure.

It didn't perform poorly, but I was not pursuaded to walk away from Interlocks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
681 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.