Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I think the 280AI is a pretty good cartridge,sandwiched as it is, between a 280 and a 7 Rem Mag.(Which is a pretty narrow niche itself).

But can anyone tell me what's so magical about it,and what it does (in the same action and barrel length) that a 7 Rem Mag doesn't? confused

Don't get me wrong I understand the "want" part when it comes to rifle cartridges,which is reason enough to get one. But some of the claims here leave me perplexed. crazy

I usually avoid kicking hornet's nests but figured I would make an exception here. My curiosity has the best of me. smile

I have one..And every time i do anything serious my 7mm has a belt on it..The 280AI is a nice cart, but guys like me trying to get 30 cal mag performance out of a 7mm are bias toward the mag 7's,IMO there is no downside to going with the 7 mag over the 280AI.

Some argue the 280AI is the best use for 30-06 hulls, i disagree..best use is 6/06.

BP-B6

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
rosco that has been my view of the world as well. Taking a step up above the standard cases with the heavy 7mm bullets I always wanted more capacity.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
No, Bob, I actually put a lot of careful, esperienced thot into the decision to spend that coin at my age on the system I built based on the Kimber MA.

I had purchased a second Dakota 76-.338WM last summer and love it for most walking hunts as it is very light, Magnaported and really nice to shoot, even with my 250NP buster loads....but, I am now pretty gimped and still long for the mountains of my youth in the Kootenays.

Soooo, after several very experienced guys here, *sheepists* and other such rather weird types, kept telling me how well their MA-.280AIs performed, I thot, WTF, one more rifle......you know how THAT goes..... smile

I am starting to sell most of my guns, not easy here in Canada, where relatively few will spend the $$$$ to buy P-64 Alaskans, etc. and seem to consider a Tikka T3 the ultimate hunting rifle -blech-, but, if this Kimber works as I suspect it will, I am going to buy an exact mate to it and then use my Dakota .338s and the Kimbers for all my hunting, except coastal Blacktail Deer, for which I have two fine custom pieces in .308Win. and 7-08Rem.

I have even considered modding the MA with adding a STS floorplate from a Stainless Select, Kimber told us they would ship just that bottom metal and STS Ruger front sight plus a Redfield *Ace in the Hole* on a spare black Talley rear base.

This, would be a less than 7 lbs, all up, superb *mountain rifle* and in one of the VERY few *wildcat* rounds I have ever thot worthwhile.

I spend a lot of time and considerable coin refining my gear as it helps me to do at least some of what I have done for so many years, lighter really helps at this stage of life.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by GuyM
A buddy of mine wants a nice hunting rifle, for deer, elk & black bear "out west." He's got the cash for a nice rifle, and has been asking me about the .280 AI. I have no experience with that cartridge, but have heard good things about it. Perhaps you could educate me a bit?

He's not (yet) a handloader. Is Nosler the only source of loaded ammo for the .280 AI?

Is there more than one version of it, and will a rifle from say, Cooper, digest ammo from Nosler?

He's looking to get near 7mm Rem mag performance, without the blast & recoil of the magnum. Not a big guy, not a young guy, but a pretty doggone good shot. He's moving away from a .300 Win mag he's been using. Looking at rifles from both Cooper & Nosler, and also considering having a custom rifle built. He handled my .30-06 700 CDL very well recently.

Any other problems he should be aware of?

Thanks, Guy

I just got my 280 AI back from the smith. I had it build heavier specifically for LR shooting. That being said, I compared my expected loads to my 30/06 loads and they are basically the same animal.

I'm a looney in my early 30's as well. That's why I chose the 280AI. If I was not, I'd go 30/06 and be set for anything. 30/06 is more than capable for just about any type of hunting the average guy will do. AT 500 yards, the 10 MPH drift difference is 2 inches. Energy is within 50 FPE and velocity is 100 FPS or so.

Also, to put it into perspective, I set a rifle up and gave it to my brother in law. I chose 7mm-08 for the ease/convenience.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
But can anyone tell me what's so magical about it.......

Don't get me wrong I understand the "want" part when it comes to rifle cartridges, which is reason enough to get one.

Nothing magical. The 280 AI gives me the capability to drive 140's & 150's to velocities that most of my commercial barreled 280's will not attain. That is an honest 3200 fps with 140's & an honest 3000+ fps with 150's. I don't need or want 7mm Mag velocities in my 284 caliber cartridge choices.

I love my 300 WSM's. It supercedes all of my other hunting rounds and is my go-to hunting choice. I simply wanted a 280 AI, nothing more.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think we can conclude that anyone who owns a 280AI isn't going to say "oh, its a piece of schit", and the same can be said for any other pet calibers/rigs.

Well, except for a few chuckleheads.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Reloader/SNAP: It all sounds logical to me!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have one and it doesn't offer anything over what a .30/06 will do as velocities are equal for bullet weight at least in equal 22" barrels.

The .30/06 is however, a more suitable choice when the game gets larger as it begins to shine when the bullets start to get heavy for caliber where game is larger than deer.

I look at the 280A1 as a substitute for the .270 as it has a larger bullet selection. The flaw in that argument is that there is no animal suitable for one that cannot be taken with the other.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
There is NO game animal here in northern-western Canada, that a .30-06 is superior to with any bullet weight over a .280AI, none.

Actually, the .280s-.270 are a bit flatter and kick a bit less and WILL KILL Elk, Moose and Grizzly very nicely using appropriate bullets....as will the .30-06, of course.

You really need a 24 inch tube to get what the .280AI can deliver and also should use 150-160 bullets, IMO.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Snap
All true.
But if you want 150-160 grain bullets and they both can provide same, how is less caliber an advantage when modern bullets that defy SD theories such as the TTSX's exist and may be applied?
John

IC B3

G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
BTW - last I heard from my buddy, after he tried my .30-06, was that he had stopped looking at .280 AI rifles, and was strongly considering a .30-06 for his purposes.

Not a handloader. Going to be doing more elk hunting, and has a plains game trip coming up in the next year.

I'm sure that he'll buy a good quality rifle. Was still looking hard at Cooper, he seems to really like their rifle.

Thanks for all the info on the .280 AI though!

Regards, Guy

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Based on the original post, I believe the most sensible outcome was obtained. That could be a first, at least for some time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GuyM -
It is easy to get enamored with the idea of a new gun and cartridge, even if same is not particularly practical. Often, as time is available to consider the options, practicality will eventually win out. It sounds like that is what happened here.

I think your friend is making a wise decision if he goes with the .30-06 instead.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 59 invisible), 3,158 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,213
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.