Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 70 1 2 3 4 5 6 69 70
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I can appreciate those who pay homage to the 300 WSM in this thread.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I can appreciate who pay homage to the 300 WSM in this thread.
In my thinking, this may be closer to ideal: light, compact package, plenty of thump. My bro has a SAUM that is a light, short, and ideal, season after season.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The 300 Weatherby works pretty good on elk. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
my favorite Elk rifle is the 338-06 Ack

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Wow, talk about resurrection of an old thread!
In the few years since this original post, two more bulls have been taken with my MkV .300 Weatherby. It now wears a McMillan Edge stock, reducing weight with scope and mounts to around 8 3/4 lbs. Favorite bullet remains the Barnes 165 gr. TSX. I may treat her to a new Leupold VX3 2.5-8x scope, since I took the old one off to use as a spare for an Africa hunt.
If I get a return trip to Africa for plains game, the WBY gets to go along again- in addition to being a superb elk cartridge, it also performs extremely well on everything in Africa except the really big stuff.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
300 Weatherby and 200 grain bullets, it is the ideal elk combo.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I.... The 340 is a virtual elk hammer. Of those twelve Bulls nome required a second shot, went beyond a few yards and at least half were taken between 300 and 500 yards.... I handload everything....

that pretty much sums up my experience with the 340 wby,using a 250 grain bullet, but Ive also had good results with the 375 H&H 45/70,35 whelen 358 win and a few others... while the 340 is darn impressive its sure not the only effective route to putting elk on their nose

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Have used the .340 on three elk.. To me it was no more effective in dropping elk than any of my .300's..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I use a muzzleloader, and depend on the 290gr Barnes T-EZ to get it done on elk out to 150yds.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yes!!!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I killed my first dozen with a puny .270.

The last 1/2 dozen elk, in a half dozen years have all been with a .308 Win.

Various cartridges in between.

While I certainly enjoy my .300 winchesters for long range target shooting, I find myself carrying my little 20" Tikka for all my elk and mule deer hunting. May play with an -06 this year.

Never felt the need for lightweight heavy recoiling rifles for big game.

In regards to the .243 for elk. A BUNCH of elk get killed by locals with them every year. Wives and kids tend to carry them. Husbands don't tell them that the internet says it is not enough and elk keep tipping over..

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Excellent elk round as well. Not going to answer that OP's rhetorical question as we all know there are many cartridges that are damn near perfect elk medicine. 338 win mag really comes to mind, since it was made for elk hunting... wink ..OOPS, that was a slip up.. grin .. But true..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Excellent elk round as well. Not going to answer that OP's rhetorical question as we all know there are many cartridges that are damn near perfect elk medicine. 338 win mag really comes to mind, since it was made for elk hunting... wink ..OOPS, that was a slip up.. grin .. But true..

But these are the same guys who say the 338 recoil is bad but shoot 300 win mags and 300 weatherby mags all day long. Me on the other hand think the 338 great round, recoil not bad but I cannot stand the recoil of a 300 win mag. I rather get kicked in the nuts before I shot a either version of the 300 mag

Last edited by 79S; 05/16/15.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Ah, the age-old argument: Keith vs O'Connor. Speed vs momentum. Flat-shooting vs raking-shot penetration. I suspect many who shoot the 300 Wby feel it is the perfect balance of the two sides of the argument: it shoots as flat as a magnum 7 and has the energy of a magnum 338. If there were fewer guys pole-axing elk with wee little calibers, then I might consider a 300 Wby. Or a 338.

But an '06 makes big holes through elk really, really well. And I can manage the recoil and gun weight.

I'd rather have a Toyota Camry to run around town than a Chevy with a Duramax. Of course, when getting firewood in January, the Chevy IS necessary. The elk hunting I've done looks far more like a Camry situation than it looks like a Chevy situation. In fact, I've put a cow elk in a Camry before.

I hope my analogy makes sense. It is a rough arthritis day today, and my head is spinning from pain at the moment. The point I am making is that small and efficient is a great idea for most situations, whether we are talking about running errands or guns for hunting elk. If I can do it with a Camry, I'll leave the Chevy in the driveway.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
OH, now you are taking all the fun out of it. Sometimes I need my "chevy" to get to my elk hunting spots.... laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
OH, now you are taking all the fun out of it. Sometimes I need my "chevy" to get to my elk hunting spots.... laugh
Good call. I don't go hunting in the Camry anymore. Plus, last year, when no elk could be found for the 12th time, I stopped and cut firewood in a foot of snow. It was far more successful than the elk hunting.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Good call. I don't go hunting in the Camry anymore. Plus, last year, when no elk could be found for the 12th time, I stopped and cut firewood in a foot of snow. It was far more successful than the elk hunting.

Ha ha.. A few years in a row (when I first started elk hunting) I thought about throwing my rifle in the ditch and taking up golf. laugh. Those were the years I actually packed a 300 wby around. All this rifle/cartridge talk is fun in the off season. The main thing is getting into the elk. When you do this, damn near any legal chambering will get the job done. As long as you put the bullet in the right place. I hear you about the wood cutting though. grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's a good thiing then in the end that the various "elk states" describe various legal cartridges or acceptable "power levels" for cartridges that can be used for elk hunting.

The "best" is at best a theoretical best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As much as I like .308, .30-06 and .300WM cartridges, I don’t have much interest in the .300WBY. Or any WBY cartridge for that matter. If I can’t get it done with my .300WM, a 300WBY won’t give me any warm fuzzies.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

The "best" is at best a theoretical best.

That's a tag line there, George. A quotable quote indeed.

Page 4 of 70 1 2 3 4 5 6 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 6 invisible), 1,598 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.