Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I made a little run to a few LGS's after getting caught up around the house with yard work. Did not have anything special to look for as things have been not turning up much at the shops. Pawn shops seem better here lately. The second shop had a 39A Marlin on the used rack. It turned out to be a well cared for rifle and I had some money I made detailing a Harley and a few items I sold I was not going to use. It had a 4x Bushnell scope on it that was bad but I didn't want that scope any way. Took the scope off and canned it because it rattled inside and shot it with the open sights and had to drop the rear two notches and was right on. May leave this one open sights as I have peep and scoped ones to shoot also. Here is a few pics with the scope still on it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh dang,you did good.$300 is a steal.I have one just like it.Best shooting 22 I've ever owned.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lucky dog!

Hope the BATF don't find out cause that's theft any way you look at it. wink

Oh,,,, and thanks for taking that hideous scope off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That pawn shop looks like a great place to buy guns. The price and description is wrong. Hopefully you frequent that store, there should be many more...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That barrel looks like 24" to me, not 20" as per the tag.

All to the better, IMO.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
The barrel is 24". They had it wrong on the tag. A friend of mine said they had more than the barrel length wrong.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd whack it to 20". Just so's it matches the tag.....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I'd whack it to 20". Just so's it matches the tag.....

Blasphemy!

Marlin carbines are a dime a dozen, at least in comparison to those with 24" barrels.

The OP got a steal with this one.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll take a dozen. Where do I send the funds?......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just picked up one of these today. 1952 39A with a period 2x Weaver. Excellent condition for the age. I need to replace the missing bullseye, but it is a sweet gun that will one day belong to my oldest son. Got a nice price, although nowhere near the steal that the OP got on his.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 05/13/15.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
[quote=Paul39]

Marlin carbines are a dime a dozen, at least in comparison to those with 24" barrels.

The 24" barrel far out numbers the 39A's in the 20" that come up for sale. If there is a Mountie at a show for sale people will be on it fast. They also seem to always be a higher price than a 24" rifle. The Mountie has the "cowboy look" that appeal to almost every one. I like them to. I have lost out on a few Mounties by making the second pass through a show only to find some one else grabbed it up. Sorry to say the carbines are not a dime a dozen even in my area where prices are a whole lot better than other areas of the country. In the last 10 yrs. of hitting the shows regular and LGS I have saw maybe a dozen 20" for sale.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pics of my new 1952 39A

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Very nice '52 39A. Marlin guys like to find those older Ballard barrel guns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by johnnypa
[quote=Paul39]

The 24" barrel far out numbers the 39A's in the 20" that come up for sale. If there is a Mountie at a show for sale people will be on it fast. They also seem to always be a higher price than a 24" rifle. The Mountie has the "cowboy look" that appeal to almost every one. I like them to. I have lost out on a few Mounties by making the second pass through a show only to find some one else grabbed it up. Sorry to say the carbines are not a dime a dozen even in my area where prices are a whole lot better than other areas of the country. In the last 10 yrs. of hitting the shows regular and LGS I have saw maybe a dozen 20" for sale.

same around here too. i did pick up a early 60's golden mounty just a couple months back for a song ...... but it did have a few issues. the original butt stock had been broken and there was a new replacement on it. also the bluing showed some wear and freckling but for a shooter grade gun under 300.00 i wasn't going to pass it up. i will keep an eye out for a more period correct mounty stock over time and if i fine one i'll slap it on and make it look whole again. i have two mounties but not one 24" rifle model. will have to fix that one day down the road.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like those older 39's.

Years ago, I bought a Volquartsen 10-22, tricked out for .22 Shorts. I thought that would be the deal with its big SS tube.

Well, guess what. My 39 Marlin shot those shorts more accurately than the tricked out Volquartsen. It didn't take long for me to sell the barrel, aluminum bolt, tricked out rotary mag and replace all those parts with std. .22LR stuff and a Gander Mt. bbl.

My 39 has seen a lot of configurations, various scopes, sort of an ongoing project gun. I fitted a Fajen stock many years ago and checkered it. Currently it wears a tang sight and higher front as a companion piece to a similar .45-70 Cowboy Marlin.

I did a trigger job, installing a trigger stop set screw. It's about as close to a match trigger as I've seen on a 39.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Dirtfarmer, You done a fantastic job on your 39. That is one to be proud of and it looks like a great shooter. Thanks for the pictures.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Johnny.

The trigger stop isn't that hard to do and it does make a difference.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
DF, now I don't usually like modifications on guns, especially nice older Marlins, but I believe the trigger stop will only help your gun. Nice job on that beauty.

Mark

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I don't mind a carefully done, subtle modification if it helps and this one surely does.

Like you, I hate to see "bubba smithing" on an otherwise fine piece.

DF

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Sweet deal on that 39! - wouldn't mind sharing where that shop is would you wink and nice job DF!! The 39s are fantastic shooters!!

PennDog

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

376 members (160user, 222ND, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,226
Posts18,447,692
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.