-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have for years used Javelina and various other 50/50 lubes with my cast bullets. They have always been a little dirty shooting in that after a shooting session, my guns and hands would be covered with black soot. I have mostly blamed it on the powder.

Today I fired 30 rounds thru my 44Redhawk. 250 gr. Keith bullet, 9.0 gr. of Power Pistol and lubed with LBT Blue Soft. No dirtier than when shooting jacketed bullets and a real plus; the gun and bore cleans up much easier with zero leading. The only change was the lube. I am sold......

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
An aside to my original post.

Bullets lubed with LBT Blue Soft are not messy to handle either. The lube actually feels less sticky and doesn't come off on your hands or stick together. I like it a lot.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Congratulations.

It's always good to find someone willing to try, as well as admit, that some things are better than others.

Been trying to convince some folks for many years now that LBT Blue is good stuff.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good to hear. If I ever tire of using Javelina (yes, I'm one of those old silverbacks) I'll try it (but first I gotta use up the 30-40 sticks I have). I just wish one could still get it.

I experimented with a lot of lubes over the years, and dabbled in making my own. I always came back to Javelina. Is it the very best? No. Will a bunch of other lubes/coatings work "better"? Undoubtedly. Do I like it nonetheless? Yes. It is a consistent performer in all my applications, I learned long ago to put up with its foibles, I don't mind a little mess at the end of the day, and the smell of the stuff (both in the raw state and while shooting) is a powerful stimulant for triggering memories of handloading in my Dad's basement, which along with the smell of Hoppe's #9 is a portal to my youth.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/08/15.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Good to hear. If I ever tire of using Javelina (yes, I'm one of those old silverbacks) I'll try it (but first I gotta use up the 30-40 sticks I have). I just wish one could still get it.

I experimented with a lot of lubes over the years, and dabbled in making my own. I always came back to Javelina. Is it the very best? No. Will a bunch of other lubes/coatings work "better"? Undoubtedly. Do I like it nonetheless? Yes. It is a consistent performer in all my applications, I learned long ago to put up with its foibles, I don't mind a little mess at the end of the day, and the smell of the stuff (both in the raw state and while shooting) is a powerful stimulant for triggering memories of handloading in my Dad's basement, which along with the smell of Hoppe's #9 is a portal to my youth.

In my case it isn't necessarily tiring of using the same stuff. Many of the lubes I once used are long gone, including Javelina. I am sending my last stick of Rosebud off to one who can use it and who will probably remember the smell from now on. Not that they didn't work or that there was something better, I just tried different lubes to see what worked best for me.

Well, after reading your post I might go ahead and use the last two sticks of Javelina I have for old times sake, or maybe keep some bullets lubed with the stuff to load and shoot once in a while. I'm with you on all accounts, especially the smells triggering the memories. Nothing like the smell of ALOX or Hoppe's #9 in the morning. I doubt you'll tire of using Javelina. It's good stuff and I'd probably be using it if it were still around.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LBT blue is great lube, probably the best I've used.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Another LBT Soft user here as well. I experimented with a few and even tried making one batch. Never again. I worry enough about getting my cast bullets to turn out well that trying to fiddle with different lube incarnations was just too much to worry about. I bought a batch of LBT soft and never looked back. I need to go ahead and put in another order or two.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm gonna order up a lifetime supply (I'm 71, so I probably won't need a truckload). I don't want Veral to quit making it and catch me running low.

Doug
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
LBT soft is super and so is Felix lube. What you have found is hard lube SUCKS.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check out White Lube I like their Red Carnauba and their Xlox 2500. The Red will require a heater and the 2500 won't.

http://www.lsstuff.com/

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 09/25/15.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Check out White Lube I like their Red Carnauba and their Xlox 2500. The Red will require a heater and the 2500 won't.

Yup, great lube, great people to deal with. The 45-45-10 is a great tumble lube for lower velocity loads.

Keep your plowshare and your sword, know when and how to use them.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I spent a number of years looking for that perfect lube for each application, and did find some good ones, Speed Green and then TAC being at the top of my list for handgun loads. I know it's heresy to traditional bullet casters, but my favorite lube now - powder coating. It does everything you can ask of a wax lube and more, and is faster to apply.

Last edited by Yondering; 01/23/16.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Great thread. A memory lane kind of thing. I too powder coat now. Even did some this morn. But when I play with my black powder cartridge stuff I will have to use the old timey way. I mixed up some lube years ago and it worked great. Added some crayons in it for smokeless use. All I used til finding out about PC.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
O
OSB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

What he said.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I like LBT Blue Soft, it is a great lube so is Carnauba Red.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

603 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,190 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,683
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.