Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
On again, off again results today… I purchased a CZ 550 FS 9.3x62, installed a NECG peep and went to town reloading 232 Oryx and 250 TSX bullets.

However at the range there seems to be some quirk involving the safety and the single set trigger. The set trigger seems to function after the safety is moved from fire to safe and back to fire. It also seems to work after the bolt is re-installed into the action. But at other times the set trigger just releases back to the original position. I realize there are no less than 4 [four] adjustments for a CZ trigger. [And I tried the set trigger adjustment at a various settings with similar results.]

Something I'm missing? Anyone encounter this issue before?

Thanks in advance.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am not a gun writer, but I will try and answer your question. Are you saying the set trigger will release when you move the safety on and off and also when re-installing the bolt into the action? If that is what you mean then you have the set-trigger adjusted too light. You need to increase the pull weight of the set trigger.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
MuleDeer is the one to answer this. He has a couple of the CZs, I think. I seem to recall that when he adjusted the set trigger below a certain point, the set function ceases to work, but the regular single-stage function remains.

He will no doubt get to this in time.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pappy is correct on what I have found (and it's generally what I do to 550 triggers, if I don't replace them with a Timney).

Have never encountered your problem. You might just want to contact CZ.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have the same rifle, as an understudy to my pair of Z-47 factory 9.3s and my Oberndorf Type B 9.3.

I had mine customized with a Micky AHR stock, AHR 3-pos. safety and AHR trigger plus an old Lyman banded ramp I found here and a Marbles sourdough plus Recknagel peep and Zeiss Conquest 4x in Burris rings.

The work was done by a guy from Ralf Martinis shop and Brno21 who posts here and it is just excellent.

I would call Wayne at AHR and do what I did, makes these into a fine piece and is not that costly.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
One thing to watch for. When the set function is dialed out, the trigger won't pivot forward. The trigger slot in the bottom metal is pretty tight. When removing the barreled action from the stock, and the trigger blocked for forward pivot, the MIM part can get in a bind and isn't that hard to break.

I cut the trigger slot around 3/8' rearward to give more room. And, disgusted with MIM parts, replaced the CZ trigger with a Timney. The Timney sits farther back in the trigger guard and positions the trigger finger back from the bolt handle. With this flat, butter knife handle, that is a good thing. Probably not as big a deal with the conventional bolt handle.

I also put a weaker spring in the safety and it will now slip back and forth without an audible click.

DF

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SNAP
I have the same rifle, as an understudy to my pair of Z-47 factory 9.3s and my Oberndorf Type B 9.3.

I had mine customized with a Micky AHR stock, AHR 3-pos. safety and AHR trigger plus an old Lyman banded ramp I found here and a Marbles sourdough plus Recknagel peep and Zeiss Conquest 4x in Burris rings.

The work was done by a guy from Ralf Martinis shop and Brno21 who posts here and it is just excellent.

I would call Wayne at AHR and do what I did, makes these into a fine piece and is not that costly.

I have an AHR CZ 9.3x62 with the AHR trigger. It's good, the Timney is better. And, this gun is a full house AHR custom. I traded for it, didn't pay what you see listed on the AHR website... shocked

I've adjusted the AHR trigger as well as I can, but the Timney breaks cleaner and is easier to fool with. And, with Wayne's lastest price lists, the Timeny is probably cheaper. Get the model number and shop Ebay. The Timeny is very easy to install, is all steel and about bullet proof.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Maxed out AHR CZ. Wayne's trigger sits back in the trigger guard even more than the Timney. When the CZ trigger is set, it's really forward, and more forward than AHR or Timney when not in set mode.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Could be, but, with 30+ big bore hunting rifles, aged almost 69, and some Timneys in some of my rifles, I am not about to change it now.

I might build on another factory polished receiver ZG action I have and it would be a STS barreled 9.3, but, I will get a Dressels trigger for this if I do it.

Each to his own, yours is a nice rifle, for sure! smile

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Some folks gripe that the CZs aren't quite "Mauser enough" to suit them, but i'm willing to be fooled by ones as nice as yours. Very slick.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Some folks gripe that the CZs aren't quite "Mauser enough" to suit them, but i'm willing to be fooled by ones as nice as yours. Very slick.

CZ's are well made and strong. Reportedly, they're configured like the older Mausers with a "C" pattern, vs. later Mausers with the "H" pattern (both raceways cut through, the "C" with only the extractor cut). The "C" is reportedly better at diverting gas from a blown primer, ruptured case, etc. This FN action now wears a Shilen 23" 6.5x55 tube and I did blow a primer recently. No gas, no problem.

Here's the late '50's FN/"H" configuration.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We had the C vs. H discussion here a while back. I prefer the C, given a choice, but it's not a big deal, and most commercial actions produced in our lifetimes feature the H collar.

I never owned a CZ centerfire, but they are on my short list of desireable, current production bolt actions.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My 550's trigger is fine since I disabled the set function. That was not hard to do but your problem is strange enough I would call CZUSA. Their service dept. was great to me on a non-trigger related problem.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I own three CZ 550 rifles and have had zero problems with any of the triggers.I found them easy to adjust to my liking by following the directions in the manual that came with the guns.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, that's been my experience. I did replace one with a Timney just to see how the Timney worked, and of course it worked fine.

But you know Campfire rifle loonies: Never use a simple solution when you can spend extra money "customizing" a rifle that already works fine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The CZ 550 factory trigger I replaced was working fine until I broke the MIM part. I don't know about shipping to Canada, but would be willing to send the OP this unit. He could replace the broken part from his trigger. This one has a good pull with the set feature dialed out.

This may be an option if he gets no satisfaction from CZ. His trigger may just need some adjusting, but my offer stands.

DF

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
We had the C vs. H discussion here a while back. I prefer the C, given a choice, but it's not a big deal, and most commercial actions produced in our lifetimes feature the H collar.

I never owned a CZ centerfire, but they are on my short list of desireable, current production bolt actions.

Probably not a big deal. As I posted, I did blow a primer with this "H" action and got no blow back at all.

The "C" vs. "H" difference may be as much a Loony discussion point as a real gas handling issue.

But, without such issues, how would Loonies keep themselves entertained... grin

DF

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I choose to spend varying amounts of $$$$$ on each of my hunting-working rifles because I can have them made more efficient for my uses here in western-northern Canada.

I happen to have become most familiar with the Mod. 70 safety and find it easier to just have all my rifles so equipped as *muscle memory* is effective in sudden encounters with Grizzlies, especially when alone far from any assistance in remote areas of my country.

With 50+ years and about 150 rifles under my belt, this is what works for me and I consider the expense well worth spending, others in other situations may not.

I also have Mausers with both C and H rings and prefer the original design, but, will not make a big deal about it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't like the set trigger on my CZ and replaced it with a timney

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SNAP
I choose to spend varying amounts of $$$$$ on each of my hunting-working rifles because I can have them made more efficient for my uses here in western-northern Canada.

I happen to have become most familiar with the Mod. 70 safety and find it easier to just have all my rifles so equipped as *muscle memory* is effective in sudden encounters with Grizzlies, especially when alone far from any assistance in remote areas of my country.

With 50+ years and about 150 rifles under my belt, this is what works for me and I consider the expense well worth spending, others in other situations may not.

I also have Mausers with both C and H rings and prefer the original design, but, will not make a big deal about it.

Lot to say for muscle memory and having them all set up the same.

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,966 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.