Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Dirtfarmer,I dont know the difference between the C&H design.Can you help me out? Thanks in advance.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, that's been my experience. I did replace one with a Timney just to see how the Timney worked, and of course it worked fine.

But you know Campfire rifle loonies: Never use a simple solution when you can spend extra money "customizing" a rifle that already works fine.

Damn straight.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Autofive
Dirtfarmer,I dont know the difference between the C&H design.Can you help me out? Thanks in advance.

The "C" has only the extractor raceway cut thru, thus it sorta looks like a "C".

The "H" is both raceways cut thru, sorta looks like an "H".

Gotta use your imagination...

DF

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the offer Dirtfarmer.

PM sent.

BTW, here is the little beauty. The colour of chocolate cake with dark marbling throughout the walnut:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by olgrouser; 05/18/15.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice, long and sleek.

If I can figure out the Canadian shipping details, I'll send you the trigger. Other than the broke piece, it's really good. I probably wouldn't have gone with the Timney if it hadn't broken.

If you're gonna dial out the set feature, see my earlier post on extending the bottom metal trigger slot . It will save you some heart burn... whistle

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 05/18/15.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
The CZ 550 factory trigger I replaced was working fine until I broke the MIM part. I don't know about shipping to Canada, but would be willing to send the OP this unit. He could replace the broken part from his trigger. This one has a good pull with the set feature dialed out.

This may be an option if he gets no satisfaction from CZ. His trigger may just need some adjusting, but my offer stands.

DF

[Linked Image]

I hate MIM.

I've read that MIM parts have 95% of the density of real steel, but experience shows that there are potential flaws that often go undetected and can lead to failure. Magnafluxing or a similar process could probably detect the flaws, but it's unlikely to be done on a part made so as to save money. The adjustable sight on a Kimber Target II I bought for my son snapped off at the top of the dovetail, and as it was apparently pressed into place by a hydraulic press, had to go back to the factory. DF's trigger problem could have gotten somebody killed.

Kahr uses MIMed slide stops for their lower-grade pistols, but increases the diameter to compensate for the weaker material.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Since we are on this subject. DF, can you tell me if this is a set trigger? The older gentleman I bought it from told me it was not a set trigger, but the older single stage. Interesting topic guys. By the way, I really like this trigger. It is set to 2 3/8 pounds and breaks like a glass rod. It was adjusted this way when I got it, so I haven't messed with it to see if it is a set trigger. Just took the old guy at his word. I'm more of a model 70 guy, but this CZ 550 9.3 is a great gun and extremely accurate.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
That is a set trigger.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks ed...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EdM
That is a set trigger.

+1

Compare it to the photo I posted.

Same.

DF

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks the same. Thanks guys.. I really like the trigger. It is very smooth, no creep and breaks like a glass rod. Set is disabled in adjustment I guess. I've never messed with it because it has been great where it has been set by previous owner. I'll also keep an eye on the trigger guard when I take it out of the stock. If I remember correctly, it is tight when pulling the guard out of the stock. Kind of hangs up on the back of the trigger...

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
bsa

Two CZ's and one ZKK 602 adjusted to about 3# by 'smith did exactly that to set feature, which I am happy about. And, yes, they are tight fitting, particularly when bedded.

Last edited by agazain; 05/21/15.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am pleased that my ZKK 602 came with a single stage trigger. I still don't understand why CZ is putting the set trigger on their larger bores. No one wants them and one would think that the simple single stage trigger would cost less to make, install and adjust at assembly time.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Set triggers must be a European thing.

Look at the photo I posted earler. The steel housing looks machined, non MIM, although the broke part is MIM.

This trigger is a lot more complicated with more parts and machine work than the Timney that replaced it.

I have two CZ's, neither one has the factory single set trigger. Although in all honesty, the one I broke was adjusted pretty well and if it hadn't failed, I'd probably still be using it. It wasn't as good as the Timney, but not bad.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
I am pleased that my ZKK 602 came with a single stage trigger. I still don't understand why CZ is putting the set trigger on their larger bores. No one wants them and one would think that the simple single stage trigger would cost less to make, install and adjust at assembly time.

That reminds me of the first cape buffalo I shot, using a CZ 550 416 Rigby. It quartered very close to us, and I was so used to setting the trigger I did for this shot. The PH heard the "click" and turned white, thinking my rifle had misfired. grin

I love set triggers, single or double. I used my first one at 13 and have liked them ever since. I'm convinced I shoot more accurately under all circumstances with an 8oz pull.

I do like good single stage triggers like my Timneys, Dayton Traisters, and inexpensive Bold triggers.

Good triggers go a long way towards preventing the jerk-n-flinches.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the advice and input. Yesterday I went to the range after disassembling the CZ rifle and adjusting the trigger. I think the problem is sussed. The set trigger function every time except when I engaged the set trigger with the safety in the off position. If the issue persists I bought 6 & 7mm wrenches to completely reset the trigger unit as per the instructions posted.

I found a medium load for 55 gr. of H4895 and Barnes 250 gr. TSX bullets {may need to reduce this in order to seat the bullets under 3.29"].

Anyone used any Barnes bullets and similar loads on game?

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the same 550 in the same caliber and my set trigger has never done that. It seems to work fine. I have no gripes about it and it shoots great. The trigger is pretty crisp without setting it so I hardly ever use the set feature. It kicks enough that I don't like the very light pull. Amazingly, the best accuracy I have found is the Prvi 285 grain factory loads and they work great on game. It will shoot 1" groups all day and my handloads are no better. Plus it's pretty reasonably priced. It's Mauser enough for me and it is one of my favorite rifles.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Never, ever use set triggers for hunting.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.