Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No one except me shoots over my Oehler.

When I got the Oehler 33 back in 1979 I set it up in a channel iron with slots for the electric eyes to be perfectly spaced at ten feet. A friend came over and wanted to test his .38 loads. I told him don't think about the channel iron, just aim at the target. His first shot left a lead colored streak about a foot long right in front of the second eye. If it wasn't for the channel iron, it the eye would have been center punched.

What is so hard about aiming at the target?!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish they made some sort of attachment on the magneto speed that maybe hooked up to a sling swivel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bobnob17
I set two up in tandem, an RCBS unit and Chrony F1, and fired several strings of different calibres through them both, comparing the readings.

There were not any wild fluctuations shot to shot, and the readings were consistently close with the F1 generally reading about 15fps faster. Loads were 270 Win, 7mm RM and 308 Win.

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I bought a chrony F1 about 15 years ago. It was and still is my first chronograph.

On an overcast day it seems to work pretty well and consistent. Sunny days and especially sunny days with snow on the ground it seems to have readings that are less consistent, and some missed shots.

I always set it up 30 feet in front of the muzzle.

Overall it has served my basic needs for working up loads rifle and handgun loads, and fiddling with rimfire velocity checks.

If I ever upgrade I'll go with one of these strap-on bayonet style Magnetospeed chronos that do not rely on light at all, and don't need a tripod or any 'lining up'.

I've used an Alpha Master Chrony with at least 15-20 rifles and have shot many of those out to 800+ yards with good results. Dead nuts with JBM. Actually killed the original body with a bullet, and the replacement worked just as well as the original.

I've also shot the Chrony in series with a Pro Chrono and they were within 2% or less as I recall. They both stopped "reading" under the same low light conditions. I do a lot more load work during the fall, winter, and spring so most of the time its overcast. Direct sunlight on the sensors is an issue, but I just stack boxes and whatever else is handy to provide shade... no problem.

I shoot in the coast mountains, but if I were using a chrono at a formal range I'd rather have a remote to reset the chrono, turn it on or off, etc.

In rain, my buddy has a plexi-glass cover for the Pro Chrono but the rain drops screw with the readings. I've thought about using a cardboard box with a hole in the top covered with a white kitchen bag. Have never needed to do it though.

I have zero complaints with the Chrony but like Shane, if I were to upgrade or start over I'd look at the Magnetospeed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a friend who's been a competitive bench guy for years who gave away his chronos and now uses the V3 Magneto speed. Says his load development time has been cut way down and on target results match his S.D. data now. I'll take his word for it and save myself the expense of learning from his trials.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Even if you can't afford or don't want to pay for a more expensive chronograph, there's at least one far more reliable and consistent brand for "Chrony money," the ProChrono.

That is what I use now.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
have a rifle range acquaintance, who enjoys cash being no problem in his life. he always buys the best of everything...

he has both the PACTs and Oehler Chronies...

He always has said, that he is amazed how quick I can set up my Shooting Chrony, get some readings and then break it back down quickly...

When comparing results over his spendy ones, and my Cheap One, their was hardly any, if any, variations in the readings...

He finally bought a Shooting Chrony also... not planning on giving up the Oehler or the PACT.... but admitted, he got it for the times, he has a small number of shots to test out... he liked how quick it was to set up... and liked the variation was minimal compared to the spendy stuff...

I admit on using mine.. when I am shooting a string, and I get a reading way off, I just sort of discard that reading, and go with those that have a parameter to them...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pro Chrony Digital - I have found using the lighting unit in an Underground range does away with any unexpected, lighting in duced variation.

Best deal to be had.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (10gaugeman, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.