Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Fuel filters are not a common item on any carbed ATV I am aware of. I always add one, though I've gotten by for years running them without….

As a kid I had a 1981 Honda ATC 110 three wheeler. It had a fine mesh screen behind the fuel selector valve that filtered any gas coming through it. Something like that would have kept the crud out of my carb. I haven't messed with the fuel delivery systems on any other ATV's so I didn't know other makers didn't use fuel filters also. It's amazing what some companies will do to save a couple of bucks.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honda never took any steps to stop the fine particulates which were eventually inevitable in those old steel-tanked Hondas. Trying to troubleshoot the leaky 'carb problem' when the problem was actually very fine rust particulates was eventually cured by installing filters on everything we drive. I suspect some of the rust we had trouble with may have originated in the tanks of the old ATVs. It was also possible that it might have originated in steel drums used to haul fuel in though also. Fuel screens or screen 'filters' don't trap the fine particulates; paper elements seem to work well however.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Why not just get a yamaha?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tansinator
Originally Posted by tzone
I'm not sure why you'd want the foot shift over the ES? But I guess some folks do or they wouldn't still make it.

I had a Foreman ES and it was flawless, like the other Honda's Ive had.

Something more to break and expensive to fix. When the sensors get wet and then freeze. Not good mojo!!

11 years and over 4k miles of riding on my ForemanES and I've never touched the angle sensor and the same with my wife's 09 RancherAT.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by coyote268

I might! It's one of two choices....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by coyote268

I might! It's one of two choices....

IMO, you can't go wrong with either choice.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I really like the Yamahas, I think that's the way I'd have to go vs a new "theory" with Honda. Needed to do some catch up.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by tansinator
Originally Posted by tzone
I'm not sure why you'd want the foot shift over the ES? But I guess some folks do or they wouldn't still make it.

I had a Foreman ES and it was flawless, like the other Honda's Ive had.

Something more to break and expensive to fix. When the sensors get wet and then freeze. Not good mojo!!

11 years and over 4k miles of riding on my ForemanES and I've never touched the angle sensor and the same with my wife's 09 RancherAT.

I hope I have the same luck!

Eagle Lake, Mississippi is close to heaven.

"Everything Hipsters touch turns to chit........Period..
Whisky.....Beer.....Tobacco.....Boots....Clothing....Gear......you name it..
Good thing the fuggers don't like firearms.." Fieldgrade

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought a 2014 Honda Foreman. I have an aftermarket winch. It came in handy last winter trying to pull a trailer full of firewood uphill in the deep snow.
From my experience it has plenty of power but tire chains might be a good thing to have.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Do you have the solid rear axle or the IDS?

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'12 foreman with EFI and EPS
no front diff lock
manual shift

starts easy the first try even if it sits for months...it doesnt get 10 degrees in georgia though...

[Linked Image]

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Had it narrowed down to the 450 Grizzly and Foreman. Local Yamaha shop had sold their last 450 Grizzly and were not sure if/when they would get more...seems Yamaha may not be making them? So, I ended up going with a 15 Foreman. They marked down the 15 models since the 16's are out. I wound up with the electric shift model rather than the foot shift mainly due to the remaining 2015 foot shift models having extra dealer add on's that I didn't want.

Spent a week with it so far, one day of which was in rough mt trails, the remainder on the farm. Quite a change from the IRS and CVT on our other machine but for my uses it will work well. Pro's and con's of each difference, depending on how it's being used. Hopefully it will last a LONG time....

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That is correct. Yamaha is no longer making the 450 Grizz. They're now making the Kodiak again, which is a cheaper version of the Grizzly while making the Grizzly as well...which is a fancier bike.

I think it's on the website now.

Either way, it should still be faster, more up to date, and just as reliable as the foreman.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just took a look at their website and it shows the Kodiak. If I read thing right, the smallest is a 700. No diff lock on the base model, to get it you go up to the SE model...and same price as the Grizzly 700. Looks nice if you want a base 700...I really don't need anything over a 500. It looks like mid-sized atv's are going the way of the dinosaur and I hate to see that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If i was buying today i would get the new Rubicon with DCT and if i was concerned with pulling heavy loads, i would get a foreman...gears beat belts for that in my book

Last edited by SAKO75; 06/09/15.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Just took a look at their website and it shows the Kodiak. If I read thing right, the smallest is a 700. No diff lock on the base model, to get it you go up to the SE model...and same price as the Grizzly 700. Looks nice if you want a base 700...I really don't need anything over a 500. It looks like mid-sized atv's are going the way of the dinosaur and I hate to see that.

It's the same size as the 550, physically.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just took a look at their website and it shows the Kodiak. If I read thing right, the smallest is a 700.

That would be the same flawed logic the sno-go makers have fallen for if that’s the case. The majority of the market might put more miles on there ATVs on trailers being pulled by large 4WD pickups but that certainly isn’t the whole market, and there are probably more miles expended on the ground by utility users of the ATV, many of them in the lower, practical horsepower ranges - where machines last and last.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I just don't need an 700 machine. A 400 has met my needs for the last 10 years. It gets used every day and I've never said "I wish I had a bigger machine or more power". Several times I've wished the footprint of the machine was a little smaller. That was one of the reasons I liked the Grizzly...and one of the reasons I didn't consider the Rancher since it is now the same physical size as the Foreman.

Diff lock I do like and have seen it make a lot of difference when climbing steep trails with uneven rocks and the back tires start spinning with one of the front tires off the ground. Doesn't help that I wear tires until I can get no more wear out of them.....

On trails this past weekend I really liked the solid rear axle. It has the down side of feeling everything more, but it seems so much more stable (compared to IRS) on the washed out ruts and uneven rocks. It was the thing that stood out most. High speed and smooth ride aren't nearly as important to me as stability. I kept thinking that the stated lower ground clearance of the Foreman was going to hit a lot of the uneven rocks/ledges that I was going over but it didn't...my IRS machine seems to hit more even though ground clearance is supposed to be higher.

Changing gears is neither here nor there with me. For my kids I especially like the CVS and engine braking, I think it's a lot safer than gears if they don't know how to use them. As long as you use them, the gears on the foreman are great, especially the low first gear when descending rocky sections. I like not having to stop and switch a lever from low to high or to reverse when driving up a steep tricky section then flattening out to a level section....just change gears and you're good.

I keep thinking I wish I had gotten a manual foot shift, but hopefully it will never make a difference.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish I had pictures - in more than just my mind- of the loads I’ve hauled on and by trailer, with my old 98 Honda 300 TRX 2wd. Too many people use engine displacement to replace a lack of cranial displacement.

Have I ever wished I could crack 60 mph just to see it on the display? I suppose it might be fun purely for no reason other than to say I’ve done it. Have I ever wished I could ruin tires faster, smoke belts, or get heavier machines into impossibly stuck places? Not so much. smirk

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
We had a TRX 300 2wd for a lot of years. I remember when my father sold it after a lot of years of use...for exactly what he paid for it when he bought it new. Several guys I know still have one, saw two of those guys using them this past weekend.

If I can remember I'll take and post a pic in the next week or two on the thread about what folks pull/haul with their machines. I'll never wear one out running fast...I might break something with a heavy load, but so far I haven't.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, Ackman, 257wthbylover, 16 invisible), 1,595 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.