Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I see you say that you live in Wyoming. Thats great because I hunt in Duboise every year. I would be more than glad to give you the opportunity this fall to "toughen me up" as you put it. I have no problem passing info along this forum with you so that we could make that happen.
As for the rest of the tough guys here. I was just on the fence about my purchase because as stated before Im not a large guy, and As far as being RECOIL sensitive, I don't mean that I can't shoot heavy calibers. I can, but I probably shoot my "hunting rifles" more than most people do, because I believe in practicing with what I hunt with. As of right now I hunt with a Sako 270 WSM but after fifteen to twenty shots, I notice my groups starting to open a little. I am just getting BACK into reloading and was looking for something a little different than what I currently have. I have a 300wsm as well that I really like shooting 180's out of , and once again, after fifteen to twenty shots my groups start to open up a little. Im not an experienced reloader, but I do shoot a lot and shoot out to six hundred quite often. I don't have access to any land yet to shoot further.
On a final note, as for all the TOUGH guy comments, save them. I was simply asking some questions trying to get some friendly opinions. Sorry I ruffled so many feathers. As a guy who has practiced MMA for the last ten years I get my ass beat around on a daily basses in real life, I don't really want to have it done on the internet as well.
To all the people who tried to help, THANK YOU. I really appreciate you and your time. Sorry for all the ruckus.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Savage_99
There is not going to be a significant recoil difference.

What action and stock?

Why the 280 at all. The ammo is not easy to find. Consider a 270 or less.

Here is an excellent slip on pad I use at the range.

[Linked Image]

The poll is in...you're still and idiot.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by billiam280AI
Ok looks like the 280ai gets the nod over the standard 280. I kinda figured it would be preferred. I just wished there was a way of getting 280AI brass with the correct headstamp. I am anal as hell and would rather my brass have the right headstamp. Is nosler brass not a big deal to most of you? I just really like norma and lapua brass.
Scenarshooter....Are you saying that the nosler 280AI brass is actually made by Norma?
If so, that is awesome.

How did you come up with that conclusion by reading the posts here?

How far are these elk you're shooting that "the 7-08 will come up a bit short?"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I, for one, am impressed by the MMA comment.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now that's some funny schit, I should guessed Monster Energy or Rock Star. And now you tell the rest of the story.

BTW, you'd be miles ahead with 1:8 twisted 260, sporter + balance and something Lapua shoved into a Lapua.

In fact, Tanner has a rig in the classifieds that would fit your bill......

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
16 bore......what rifle are you talking about in the classies? Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nobody's trying to act TOUGH. Pretty much everybody's trying to help. YOU came across in a way guaranteed to draw a bunch of wisecracks from the cranky old farts that frequent this place. Everybody here catches Hell, and dishes it out from time to time and everbody occasionally or frequently acts like an ass. We all think we're funny and sometimes we are. If the locker room atmosphere here rubs you the wrong way, better clear out. Otherwise, welcome.

Last edited by Pappy348; 05/19/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tanners badass rig

He's as good a dude as they come.....

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Nobody's trying to act TOUGH. Pretty much everybody's trying to help. YOU came across in a way guaranteed to draw a bunch of wisecracks from the cranky old farts that frequent this place. Everybody here catches Hell, and dishes it out from time to time and everbody occasionally or frequently acts like an ass. We all think we're funny and sometimes we are. If the locker room atmosphere here rubs you the wrong way, better clear out. Otherwise, welcome.

I'm not that old.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks 16bore!!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'd take the 280. It never really needed any "improvement". smile

Agreed.

My first ".270" had ".280 Rem" stamped into the barrel. I got the .280 Rem dies and started working up loads. Sold that rifle, a nice Ruger #1, after 3 years and bought a Ruger Hawkeye All-Weather instead. Since I already had dies, the Hawkeye was also a .280 Rem rather than a .270 Win.

One thing I learned was that for many years, back before I had a chrono, I had been shooting my 7mm RM at .280 Rem velocities or just above. During those years the 7mm never let me down. With the exception of an unfortunate buck antelope that was the subject of a Barnes XLC bullet test, game went down quickly, often at the shot. (The problem with the antelope was a bullet problem, not a cartridge problem.)

While I don't have a problem with the .280 Rem AI per se, I do see it as a niche cartridge for loonies. (Full disclosure - I have a custom 6.5-06 AI, another loonie cartridge.) The gain over a standard .280 Rem is marginal and no matter claims to the contrary, it can't reach 7mm RM levels of performance. A claim has been made the .280 Rem burns less powder than the 7mm RM but that is debatable - to reach top performance the difference is negligible at best and requires compressed load densities up to 109% (better crimp those to keep the bullets from moving). In other cases the .280 Rem won't reach those levels of performance but might save 7 grains of powder or so - a 1 pound difference in consumption for every 1,000 rounds loaded (and with an even more marginal difference, if any, over standard .280 Rem performance, which burns even less powder). Do the math, 7 grains amounts to about 3 cents per cartridge and you're not getting top performance. When I have to worry about 3 cents difference in hunting cartridge costs it will be long past time for me to stop hunting.

Had that Ruger #1 been chambered for a .280 Rem AI, I would have purchased it just as quickly. After it was sold and I bought the Hawkeye it would still have been a .280 Rem rather than a .270 as I already use 7mm bullets. It is highly doubtful, though, that I would have rechambered the .280 to an AI configuration, opting instead just to buy a standard set of .280 Rem dies. My 7mm RM will do everything the .280 Rem will do and then some and I can easily download it to .280 AI or .280 velocities if desired.

Give me the standard .280 Rem. No muss, no fuss, lots more load data, easily obtainable and inexpensive brass with the proper headstamp and more factory ammo options for those times when such is needed. And performance that is more than adequate for most tasks. (And when it isn't, I wouldn't be reaching for a .280 Rem AI.)

YMMV

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
OP, from the responses, a lot of people here are reading you like an open book.

I think I better move before next hunting season. Now that I know the OP is into MMA, I'm feeling insignificant and vulnerable, and I'm not sure if my life is in jeopardy or if he just wants someone to drink coffee with him. Or maybe he plans to invite me for coffee and then karate chop me in the throat when I have a mouthful of coffee.

It's all pretty scary either way.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone

I'm not that old.

Cranky Old Fart (C.O.F.) is a state of mind.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I think he had his mind made up before he asked the question, then looked for responses that supported his decision.
P

We all do that.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Bayou....You are the one who is easy to read. Anyone who goes to your profile and looks at your posts which I have, can see there is nothing of substance there. Every one of you comments are demeaning and belittling, no matter what the subject. I can't find where you have tried to help anyone anywhere on any subject. You are a smart ass bully, and that is the exact type person I can't stand. You come on the internet and look for any opportunity to degrade someone, and why? All because momma didn't play with you enough.....oh yeah, and dad played with you a little too much possibly! Im done with you, have a great day. BTW, there is NO SUCH thing as a Karate chop, those are only in the movies. lmao
Enjoy you coffee

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Several thoughts:

A) I have a 280 AI & like it a lot

B) the factory 280 Rem out there is loaded to lower pressure than similar cartridges (25-06 & 270), but hand-loaded 280 Rem gets close enought to AI velocities when loaded to like-pressures

C) 280 Rem factory ammo is nearly as difficult to find as 280 AI

D) there are different versions of the 280 AI and Nosler brass doesn't work in them all, while 280 Rem factory will fireform in all chambers

I think they're both fantastic cartridges but don't think you'll be able to tell a difference between them recoil-wise.

The only thing that needed improving in the 280 Rem was SAAMI pressure specs. Otherwise it's superfluous to AI it.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I thought hard about the 7-08 as I can get Lapua brass for it, but thought it may come up a touch short for Elk. I would rather have one rifle for everything from antelope to Elk. I want said rifle to be good out to about 600 which is my max comfort zone when conditions are perfect. The 7-08 Im thinking is really pushing it for elk at those ranges,

Have you taken a look at these in a side-by-side comparison in a ballistics calculator?

I was astounded at the minuscule difference between the two when I started loading them at about the same time.

There isn't an elk on the earth that'd tell the difference between them.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bayou....You are the one who is easy to read. Anyone who goes to your profile and looks at your posts which I have, can see there is nothing of substance there. Every one of you comments are demeaning and belittling, no matter what the subject. I can't find where you have tried to help anyone anywhere on any subject. You are a smart ass bully, and that is the exact type person I can't stand. You come on the internet and look for any opportunity to degrade someone, and why? All because momma didn't play with you enough.....oh yeah, and dad played with you a little too much possibly! Im done with you, have a great day. BTW, there is NO SUCH thing as a Karate chop, those are only in the movies. lmao
Enjoy you coffee

I'm impressed that you took the time to read everything I've posted here and from that you then have the ability to characterize a complete stranger with lewd outrageous remarks about his parents. My parents raised me just fine with no problems and I was taught to never talk down to anyone with remarks like those. I'm truly sorry that you obviously missed that in your raising.

As for the karate chop remark, I injected that to counter your silly remark about being martial arts trained; as thought that might make some of us cower in fright in your presence.

I'd buy the 280 AI if I were you just because its obvious that you're special and you seem to want a bunch of complete stranger to validate your decision.

Carry on dude. You're impressive in your own special ways.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
See what happens when you forget to call "No Mothers"?

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
See what happens when you forget to call "No Mothers"?

grin grin

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,072
Posts18,463,761
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.