Print Thread
Hop To
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yesterday a good customer of mine brought in a shortened, rather heavy SXS 10 ga shotgun that he wanted the firing pins removed to make it inoperable. He got it from a relative, took it to Cabelas to see about a trade for something else.. They handed it back saying that they wouldn't touch it..

I noticed the design and the weight of this thing and dragged out some books for research.. Only exterior markings is "Remington Arms Co." on both sides of the frame, a very uniquely designed and stylish S/N on the trigger guard tang, that starts with a "P".

Apparently, when Parker Bros quit in 1934 Remington took over production for a short period (about 4 years). The Blue Book does have some info on this thing and notes the 10 ga items are quite rare. The chamber measures 2 7/8" which early 10 ga shells were made. I didn't look to see when those were discontinued..

The barrels look to be fluid steel - not damascus. I think, even though the barrels had been shortened to 20", that he's got a fairly valuable shotgun there. The wood, especially, is excellent - with hardly a mark on the buttstock. The action is tight, everything works fine and, other than someone years ago had polished the barrels after cutting them to 20", I think the original $50 investment on that gun his father made about 30 years ago (from a retired jeweler) might turn into a handsome profit..

Anyone ever see one of these? He's going to sell it and I said to try Gunbroker and start it at $1500.. I guess it's one way to find out. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I believe he will have a tough time selling it to a Parker enthusiast with those barrels. No idea on price.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I remember reading articles 45+ years ago advocating shortening what we now call "classic American doubles" into HD guns or 'trail guns'.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
cut bbls is a killer.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Be a neat one to send to Kirk Merrington down in Kerrville and have him mono block and rebarrel. It wouldn't be cheap but if the rest of it is as nice as you say it is I think it would be worth it. Imagine slaying a limit of honkers with an old Parker 10 bore. If I had nothing into it that's what I'd be doing.

IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bobski
cut bbls is a killer.

Exactly. This gun becomes a wall hanger with those cut barrels, especially that short. I don't think the gun could be worth more that $500, and I'd call that optimistic. Finding a replacement set is nigh unto impossible, let alone the cost of the barrel and fitting.

In valuing a double gun, the barrels and their quality are generally about 75% + of the value. These are almost zero.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
it would cost more to rebarrel it than what its worth. i mean seriously...10ga?

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bobski
cut bbls is a killer.
It definitely does hurt the chances..

The other problem is the chambers on this shotgun is for the 'old' 10 ga., not the modern stuff today which is longer..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wall hanger..............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hey redneck.....your avatar shows you holding a nice o&u. is that you? why not bring it and come on down to mo in oct and join us for the 1st ever 24hr shotgun shoot at my place?
wi aint so far!

IC B3

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nah - that's not me... But the guy in the pic IS a lefty...so THAT part fits.. laugh

I've shot SKBs since I bought the first one in Yokosuka Japan at the Navy store on base.. That was back in '68. Ever since our shooting range was litigated out of existence (had been there since 1933) I haven't shot much at all. I'd be pretty rusty.

Still have that 3-barrel set.. This look familiar? Still in 98%+ condition..

[Linked Image]

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 700 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.