Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
Here's an interesting "thought experiment."

Suppose they passed a law stating:

1. It is illegal to use any caliber rifle for big game except 30-06. "Big game" means up to and including Cape Buffalo and Moose.

2. It is illegal to use any bullet except the 180 grain Nosler Partition, the 150 grain Sierra Game King, or any 220 grain round nose. H4350 is the only legal powder if you hand load.

3. It is illegal to shoot said rifle from a bench except for 25 shots per year. No limit on practice from field positions.

4. To buy a hunting license, it is required to dry fire at least one hour per week for 52 weeks.

5. For elephant, it is illegal to use any cartridge except the .375 H&H with 300 grain bullets.

I'm betting that, if such a law were passed, the success on big game would improve and perhaps fewer hunters would be injured by dangerous game.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds OK to me.

Most of the people on here would need deep therapy. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sounds great if you like stupid laws. Living in a state with plenty, I'll pass on more.

But why an '06?

.308 could do it all with less. Then again, a .260...

;-)

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Coming from a state that recently passed legislation that:
1. classified bb guns as firearms
2. considers a crossbow a muzzleloader
3. says you can use a 10 shot clip so long as you only put 7 rounds in it
4. made it illegal to bring your trophy buck from Pennsylvania back to NY for mounting
5. made it illegal to sit in an elevated stand with a young hunter....
I think you must be insane to ask for additional regulations and expect them to be rational. I'm not sure it should even be joked about.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pass a rule that grumpy old guys with Savage 99 in their handle could only hunt deer with a 5.56 AR-15.

grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I already meet your criteria.

I don't know that means I can't qualify as a "rifle looney" though. I like single shot 30-06s, wood stock/blued 30-06s, synthetic stocked/stainless 30-06s...

I am definitely not a chambering looney though. I gave a newish 25-06 that I haven't blooded yet. My plans for this year include hunting with my 30-06 again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Pass a rule that grumpy old guys with Savage 99 in their handle could only hunt deer with a 5.56 AR-15.

grin

That's just UNFAIR!

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

1. It is illegal to use any caliber rifle for big game except 30-06. "Big game" means up to and including Cape Buffalo and Moose.

2. It is illegal to use any bullet except the 180 grain Nosler Partition, the 150 grain Sierra Game King, or any 220 grain round nose. H4350 is the only legal powder if you hand load.

3. It is illegal to shoot said rifle from a bench except for 25 shots per year. No limit on practice from field positions.

4. To buy a hunting license, it is required to dry fire at least one hour per week for 52 weeks.

5. For elephant, it is illegal to use any cartridge except the .375 H&H with 300 grain bullets.

I'm betting that, if such a law were passed, the success on big game would improve and perhaps fewer hunters would be injured by dangerous game.

I Imagine Diane, Nancy, and Harry will get right on that for you.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by fishdog52

... I'm not sure it should even be joked about.

Yeah, they don't need any more ideas!!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Sounds OK to me.

Yep, they's wake up screaming at nite, having nightmares... shocked

You can't cure Loonyism like that, it would just exacerbate the condition, turning semi-sane sufferers into screaming maniacs... grin

DF

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Sounds OK to me.

New laws are usually expensive for somebody. I can't afford therapy! Not with all the money I spend on all these different bullets...

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Some folks are missing the point I think. smile

The "law" wasn't the central theme of Indy's post...he only mentioned the law as an imaginary situation under which everyone was compelled to use two cartridges,the 30/06 and 375 with simple optics and forced to practice.Eliminate the useless gack that goes on with magic cartridges and bullets,and imaginary "LR" shots,etc..

Put the emphasis on hunting, and the development of personal skill sets with a rifle that are useful in the field instead of worrying incessantly about theoretical issues and just learn how to shoot straight in the field.

I think his point was that many rifle nuts tend to over think things that really don't matter a hoot in the hunting fields,and lose focus on the important stuff.

That was the central theme; the mention of the law was a red herring.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The "law" is biased and discriminates against anorexic and fat bullets. smile

Last edited by doubletap; 05/18/15.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Avoid extremes. wink

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Avoid extremes. wink

Now, Bob.

You know that won't work here on the Fire... laugh

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
wink

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The law is definitely whacked, but can I use a 270 instead of a 30-06? grin

I think you could get rid of the caliber restrictions and implement the practice regimen and have the same results.

As we like to argue and pick apart the minutia of various cartridges and bullets on the fire. Ultimately, shot placement trumps a lot of discussions.

Last edited by CRS; 05/19/15.

Arcus Venator
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by CRS
Ultimately, shot placement trumps a lot of discussions.

As do Partitions and 30-06's.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
It was an interesting thought experiment for about 2 1/2 seconds until cynicism/skepticism kicked in.. the list of amendments on said law would likely look something like this:
1) Rifle loony lobby would attach wording to allow same, but only with the cartridge of their choosing.
2) Anti's would limit law to spring powered single shot bean bag guns only, with an orange tip and no "thing that goes up" on the stock
3) The critter huggers would want velcro tipped foam bullets, so no animals would be harmed.
4) The tree huggers would throw in with the critter huggers as long as said bullets were non carcinogenic, bio-degradible and/or edible, and preferably made from recycled materials.
5) .gov would undoubtedly put a nice safe speed limit on them of around 140-180 FPS. In lieu of the now unnecessary tax stamp for suppressors, the will allow the new option of foam wrapping and velcro coating a rock of less than 16 oz., as long a you fill out the necessary paperwork, go through the waiting period,have a serial number on said rock, and buy a tax stamp for $500. No collecting surplus rocks from federal land either (they're not in that business anymore you know, and ABSOLUTELY no green tipped rocks)
6) Dry firing is mandatory and must be documented by a fed. certified instructor who will issue a certificate for a "reasonable" fee.

Cynicism toggle off. smile

I need another cup of coffee.

While I don't disagree with the premise of more practice, and do you really truly need more than one rifle to do the job on the vast majority of big game at least in N.A. (no, not really), any kind of "law" only opens things up to people who know how to manipulate them, and only restricts those who do know squat about the subject.
On to the next topic... If we all had only XXX vehicle to drive, could only use regular or mid grade, and practiced a lot..in our driveway...we'd all be better drivers smile

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Governments picking winners and losers through legislation is most of what has taken us into the dire straights we're in as a nation. Particularly when insider trading is legal for congress, and back-door deals are made daily which end up being simple money transfers from tax-payers to politicians and their friends.

Legislation in the fashion of this thought experiment would be the same, and the deals would be brokered before the law was even on the public's radar, with appropriate stock purchased or dumped, with last-minute amendment due to those not wanting to lose business bribing lawmakers.

Get rid of laws. Let the free market decide what the best products are. You want people to make better choices? Educate; don't legislate. That only empowers corrupt and greedy lawmakers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Governments picking winners and losers through legislation is most of what has taken us into the dire straights we're in as a nation. Particularly when insider trading is legal for congress, and back-door deals are made daily which end up being simple money transfers from tax-payers to politicians and their friends.

Legislation in the fashion of this thought experiment would be the same, and the deals would be brokered before the law was even on the public's radar, with appropriate stock purchased or dumped, with last-minute amendment due to those not wanting to lose business bribing lawmakers.

Get rid of laws. Let the free market decide what the best products are. You want people to make better choices? Educate; don't legislate. That only empowers corrupt and greedy lawmakers.

Your points are valid but who decides who gets to educate us?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I think then entire meaning of the OPs topic has been misunderstood.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Paradiddle

Lots of crazy uncles on the fire.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by cast10K
Originally Posted by Paradiddle

Lots of crazy uncles on the fire.

LOL

I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
Most of you have missed the point.

Obviously no government should pass such laws.

But the point is that most hunters look for some magic cartridge, not really better than any other cartridge, shoot endlessly off the bench trying to shoot meaningless small groups, don't know how to shoot off their hind legs like a man, and would be far better off learning to be a GOOD SHOT than endlessly discussing and worrying about cartridge and group minutiae.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe Mule Deer has discussed this phenomenon. People have far less time to spend afield and far fewer places to be afield so must drive much longer distances to get there. Many people don't even have a good place to shoot their rifles closer than an hour or two hours away. So instead of actually hunting or scouting or doing target practice they concentrate on this minutiae.

If someone really wants to drive people batsh*t crazy, log on to a golf forum and propose this same idea except that golfers are limited to two woods, three irons and one putter. And no range finders or golf carts, they have to carry their own bags.

I wouldn't recommend it since even if you posted it with a dozen smiley faces you'd still get very earnest death threats. shocked Talk about a group of people who want to buy skill out of a box...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wouldn't Reverse Loonyism also include 4x scopes (or factory issued iron sights)? Handloading would be out of the picture, as would bullet selection, unless you could do so by picking the ammo brand. Sounds like my father's rifle...30-06 with a 4x Weaver, shooting factory 180 gr soft points, beat to hell from using it as a crutch and falling on it. Boring, but it usually brought meat home.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't think handloading is necessarily part of loonyism--except the kind Jim in Idaho described, where loonies who almost never shoot except off a bench (and even then maybe never beyond 100 yards) strive for the tiniest groups, even though such groups are meaningless in the vast majority of hunting.

I've known guys who handload and shoot a lot, but don't buy and sell and "build" rifles constantly, hoping one will change their life. Instead these guys handload because they shoot a lot, and because they shoot a lot they shoot well, even off their hind legs "like a man." Hell, I even known one woman, very well, who shoots off her hind legs very well, unlike most men. :-)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
grin cool

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Didn't miss the point. The point wasn't about the law part of the post, that was a theoretical to level the playing field. I just found that portion of it humorous at the time.
The point was that more practice and familiarity with your firearm = better success. Nothing loony there. That has and always will be the case. Likely every living, breathing creature on the North American continent has been dispatched with an '06. Before that, it would be a safe bet that the same has been done with the 30-30, 22 LR, and if you were patient enough to research it, dozens of other cartridges as well. 8000 years before that, every creature on the continent was dispatched with a pointy rock lashed to a stick. Even then, some used different purpose shaped rocks, shorter and longer sticks, bows, spears, atlatls, etc. So the point really is that whatever shape or form the tool of choice is, it is most effective in the hands of one who practices with it, is familiar with it's abilities and limitations, is cognizant of the quarry and environmental variables involved. Loonyism is a lot more deeply ingrained than the 30-06, and the last generation or two, as is the over-arching point about practice and familiarity with your tool of choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm betting that a lot of lawmakers would get to know a '06 round up close personal.
Good way to start a rebellion.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And here we go again....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know this is a thought experiment, but if it were seriously posited, then I would make it a point to use a 30.06 to eliminate a varmint of the first order.
Or maybe I'd just use an unapproved device to accomplish the same task.
Brain phardts are all right from time to time, but this one was a skunker.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tracks

I'm betting that a lot of lawmakers would get to know a '06 round up close personal.
Good way to start a rebellion.

I forgot to add this... grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Why? Jack O'Connor's wife did just fine with the '06.

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by DancesWithGuns

Why? Jack O'Connor's wife did just fine with the '06.

You're right. It should have been any cartridge larger than the .375. I have personally seen entire elephants missed with .458 and .500 caliber rifles, probably due to flinch.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Examples of one are so illuminating. Better (but a cliche) would have been to cite the hundreds of elephants Bell killed with rifles chambered for cartridges less powerful than the .30-06.

This has been a very interesting thread, mostly due to the reactions of several posters.

John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Campfire: the Loonyism Strikes Back

And I got a free front row seat!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
30-06??? Why when in North America you can kill any game with a 22 hornet. wink

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fact is a common 243 will do for what 95% of what hunters do - yet most feel it's not ego satisfying to use it and get them for women and children. Funny how it kills just fine for them smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Truth is you don't need a lot of rifles to hunt with, but you DO need a lot of rifles to play with.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Truth is you don't need a lot of rifles to hunt with, but you DO need a lot of rifles to play with.

Nailed it! smile

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

So well put. Need we say more?? grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yup .... Our fathers had one rifle for everything, more of a tool than anything. Mine had a Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine. I don't think he fired more than 2 boxes of shell in that thing all the time I knew him.

We don't have guns, we have toys that we like to dress up in different stock and scopes and show them off on the interweb. Get bored, sell them off and start all over again with the latest fad bbl maker/scope/stock/chambering.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Gold, Bob, 24 karat gold.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Accepting as fact that the Rem M700 action is the worst of all!!

That'll leave plenty for me to buy up cheaply!! grin

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I don't think handloading is necessarily part of loonyism--except the kind Jim in Idaho described, where loonies who almost never shoot except off a bench (and even then maybe never beyond 100 yards) strive for the tiniest groups, even though such groups are meaningless in the vast majority of hunting.

I've known guys who handload and shoot a lot, but don't buy and sell and "build" rifles constantly, hoping one will change their life. Instead these guys handload because they shoot a lot, and because they shoot a lot they shoot well, even off their hind legs "like a man." Hell, I even known one woman, very well, who shoots off her hind legs very well, unlike most men. :-)

John,

How might one learn to shoot off his front legs? You know, just in case his hind legs are occupied?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Coming from a state that recently passed legislation that:
1. classified bb guns as firearms
2. considers a crossbow a muzzleloader
3. says you can use a 10 shot clip so long as you only put 7 rounds in it
4. made it illegal to bring your trophy buck from Pennsylvania back to NY for mounting
5. made it illegal to sit in an elevated stand with a young hunter....

What state is this?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
ExtremeHunter16,

Probably by pulling the trigger with whichever toe works best. This technique would no doubt be most effective when shooting big game through the front shoulders.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not every gun owner hunts.

Me

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If I could find a balance between a an antelope rifle for relatively long range and work in the timber for elk I would have one rifle for me and one for the wife. But as it stands I have about 5 in the safe for these two purposes.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wyoming260
If I could find a balance between a an antelope rifle for relatively long range and work in the timber for elk I would have one rifle for me and one for the wife. But as it stands I have about 5 in the safe for these two purposes.

Such are the perils of the age of specialization we live in... smile

Nimrods of another era grabbed a 270. 30/06,7 mag or 300 mag and made it work.....toss in elk and sheep and mule deer in open country.And plains game in Africa,and Asian mountain game as well. All with one rifle.

We can do it if we read less, shoot and hunt more. wink

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by wyoming260

Such are the perils of the age of specialization we live in... smile

Nimrods of another era grabbed a 270. 30/06,7 mag or 300 mag and made it work.....toss in elk and sheep and mule deer in open country.And plains game in Africa,and Asian mountain game as well. All with one rifle.

We can do it if we read less, shoot and hunt more. wink

Ha, there is the root of the problem. I have a big long heavy .260 and a nice light .243 that are a excellent pair on the prairie, antelope and such. I have a Tikka t3 .300 and a Ruger 77(7x57) for deer and elk in mountains( hunt at same time). So in reality for me and the wife we each have one gun to hunt with, they just happen to be different guns depending on whether I drive East of the house ( prairie) or West( mountains) The k98 in 8x57 is just sort of a back up. although I have shot a few deer with it.
If I was smart I would just by a pair of tikkas in .260 or 6.5x55 and we could be happy, one would have to be a compact because the wife is barely five feet tall.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

449 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 41 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.