Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You could build a table at shooting bench height to shoot prone through the tires.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used a couple of different versions of these baffle systems and seen others.

The first was not unlike the blue barrels, but made of two oil drums bolted together and filled with fibre glass loft insultation.

The insulation was wrapped around a chicken wire "former" which ran centrally through the pipes and acted as the shooting port. Intial tests were dissapointing as the metal drums caused what could be termed an echo/drum effect..This was eventually solved by wrapping the external of the drums with old carpet and tarping...

The other systems were all based around tires as already suggested. By far and away the most effective method is too place the tires directly on the ground (or just slightly elevated say on railway sleepers) and then bank soil/sand over the tires. As already noted, drainage holes are needed...

The tires can be joined together using pop rivets or even small bolts and nuts..

One thing I would say that to muffle noise, you are better with dense materials, so lining with sand bags is better than lightweight insulation, but obviously not as practical if any degree of portability is required..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by doubletap
You could build a table at shooting bench height to shoot prone through the tires.

That crossed my mind also...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bottom drain hole dittos

No side holes

Hang a common rotary lawn sprinkler on the end of a piece of conduit / EMT, and rinse 'till one's heart's content

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
These mufflers on a Swiss rifle range apparently reduce noise levels to 20 db which is pretty quiet.

[Linked Image]

To put that into context, during a recent test of sound moderators on full bore rifles using "normal" ammo (ie not sub sonic) the sound reduction measured from 21db to 26db depend on the effectiveness of the mod concerned.

Last edited by Pete E; 05/14/15.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Bottom drain hole dittos

No side holes

Hang a common rotary lawn sprinkler on the end of a piece of conduit / EMT, and rinse 'till one's heart's content

GTC

I like that better than what I posted.

DF

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

These mufflers on a Swiss rifle range apparently reduce noise levels to 20 db which is pretty quiet.

I think that would be by 20db, not to 20db. Meaning the 160+ db sound of the shot is reduced to 140+ db, not 20 db total.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, that's correct, I worded that improperly. It reduces noise by some 20db, as explained here in the article accompanying the picture:

Der Schallschutz-tunnel ist technisch einfach, ortsbild-und landschaftsverträglich, verhältnis-mässig kostengünstig und sehr wirk-sam (bis 20 dB[A] Reduktion).

Swiss Shooting Tunnel

My German is a bit rostig, although in my defense the article was written with a heavy Swiss accent. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know an older gent who uses a large 24"? x 10' corrugated plastic drain pipe lined with carpet. I only saw it used once, but it seemed to work good.

Last edited by grovey; 05/14/15.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Except for the Swiss example, you guys are suggesting some pretty redneck "solutions"--the stack of used tires that you haven't figured out what to with--come on! laugh What will that reduce? 5db? Maybe. And be a nasty blight on your environment and a maintenance chore you'll put off too long.

Look up anechoic chamber. That is what you're trying to approximate, a chamber which absorbs all sound, except for the large hole in the end. And it does no good to absorb it, if the exterior can easily re-transmit it. So the outside needs to be treated as well.

On yachts, to contain the noise in machinery spaces, we use a special insulation which consists of a sandwich of a heavy layer of foam, to which is bonded a thick plastic septum (originally lead sheet), which is bonded to another layer of foam, which is covered with various treatments, aluminized Mylar being the most popular.

The lead sheet in the early style should give you a clear picture of a material through which sound waves have great difficulty passing. You would hear a dull thud if you rapped it with hammer. Unlike a steel drum. What happens is that sound energy causes the lead sheet to vibrate, and the vibration looses its energy as heat. (seriously) The lead, being supported only by foam, is decoupled from the wall of the machinery space, and so transmits only a tiny portion of the sound and vibration.

Give this a little more thought before creating a large nest for vermin. smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
some pretty redneck "solutions"--the stack of used tires that you haven't figured out what to with--come on!

I built one of these "redneck solutions" in the late '80s, and it worked damned well.
...not the lone ranger in this regard, either.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
some pretty redneck "solutions"--the stack of used tires that you haven't figured out what to with--come on!

I built one of these "redneck solutions" in the late '80s, and it worked damned well.
...not the lone ranger in this regard, either.

GTC

I concur..

I don’t anybody who has gone to the trouble to running tests with a sound meter on a tire set. However, I can say from experience shooting a standard .308win through a tire/soil baffle was noticeably quieter than using a commercial sound moderator on the same rifle.

This was for people on the firing line, but the effect may be different directly down range..

In practice, it enabled the guy who built it to shoot centre fire rifles without spooking his wife’s horses in the next field and also made the shots un noticeable in the main farm house about 50 yards away..

Last edited by Pete E; 05/14/15.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tires actually work a bit like an anechoic chamber because of the shape of the inside of the tires and the density of the rubber. The mass of the tire is what really helps. I'm sure the thicker and heavier the tires the better they will work. I am looking at a new house and hope to install a shooting lane to at least 100 yds. I'm thinking of a pit with a movable table so I can shoot offhand, seated or prone. Probably a berm on either side around most of the shooting position topped with some railroad ties. With the berm and the tires covered in soil, and maybe a few shrubs, it should not have the redneck look at all.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If a fella sections a set of tires lengthwise he will be looking at something remarkably similar to a suppressor.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would suggest not using egg crate foam. those foams are incredibly flammable and burn incredibly hot. Fiberglass insulation does not burn at all as far as I know.

Also, if you are on friendly terms with a service station or tire shop you might get the tires from them and get them to agree to take them back if you don't want them anymore. That wouldn't cost them any more than you saved them in the first place.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I set my effort up in a Lime Plant "Boneyard", and had access to a gazillion 10-20 truck tires, and a PILE of heavy industrial mechanisms,.....A "44" Rockwell-Eaton hub served as the turret / pivot,....it's axle planted in compacted Fines.

The "Barrel" was cobbled up on an old articulating conveyor belt carcass. It had both elevation and traverse functions (hand screws) The bench RODE the barrel, ...and was nothing very much more than a tractor seat and a small table top. Properly balanced, the thing was a real success, and quietened down some complaining, newly arrived yuppies in short order,.....if you can't hear it, you can't complain about it.

There are an INFINITE number of ways to build / design one of these, and I'd be more than happy to assist anyone interested in getting one up through their design phase.

Hell,....for considerations based solely on filthy lucre, I'll build you one (you supply the tires.)

The fellow who suggested this was "redneck" doesn't know sound suppression from schitt. .....probably don't know schitt from bean dip, either.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 05/18/15.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Up yours. smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey, don't go all batchitt crazy on us. Some of us rednecks know more'n you might suspect.

We even have local wizards for supply of odd chitt related to this discussion. http://www.soundown.com/

And while I'm at it, life outside SoCal is different, learn to tolerate it. Oh, almost forgot...

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Sound Down insulation used in marine engine rooms does work pretty well, also pretty expensive. I am planning to build a tire baffle on my property, partly because of neighbors fairly close, but mostly to reduce spooking the deer - more worried about bothering the game than the neighbors, some of whom shoot more than I do. Really looking at something to quiet down .44 mags and my .480 Ruger, more than the rifles. I have enough tires "saved", working on how/where to mount them. I do have some left over scrap Sound Down and other insulation I planned to add to the tires, and was thinking of removable end covers, maybe a covering tarp for rain "protection". Around here, those holes some guys suggest cutting for drains would be an invitation to wasps - although I guess the gunfire and powder residue might chase them away?

Since I got a game cam pic yesterday of a buck with emerging antlers that are already huge for my area, I guess I'll shoot hogs with my suppressed .44 until I get the other idea working, although if I don't scare him out of the country altogether he would probably settle down again by fall.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
I am planning to build a tire baffle on my property, partly because of neighbors fairly close, but mostly to reduce spooking the deer - more worried about bothering the game than the neighbors, some of whom shoot more than I do.

I don't believe gunfire bothers deer vary much. I've had to hold my fire, after shooting several shots, to let browsing deer slowly make their way across my shooting range. We also have called "cease fire" at the public range to let deer pass through.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.