Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
OP Offline
K
Gentlemen i have been offered this gun in trade and i do not know enough about it. This site comes up under google search and i read a couple posts you had related and was hoping you could give me more insight into what i have here. Thank you for any help.

I have been told that this rifle is an original Art Mashburn custom rifle that was bought new and safe kept for at least the last 30 years by original owners. It is stamped 7mm super magnum and comes with 1 box of ammo as well as mounted scope. I have been told it is in pristine condition as well.

What i would like to know is 1. idea of value 2. type of rifle it is built off of 3. quality and collectivity 4. any worries or concerns about this rifle 5. just how much of a pita is the caliber going to be to get/reload since that appears the only option.

Thanks again if you can help out at all.

pictures were sent thru facebook and are not great quality. but these 3 are all i have to work with at the moment.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool as hell rifle!! I can't help on much but it appears to built on a commercial mauser action...note the flat face on the underside of the bolt knob as well as other tell-tale mauser features.

Hopefully BobinNH will see this as he is fond of the 7mm Mashburn and extremely knowledgeable; it might be worth PMing him.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Killa: How much you want for it? grin

32-20: Thanks for kudos but I am not sure about the "knowledgeable" part. But I do like the cartridge. smile

killa: I have never personally held an Art Mashburn custom but his shop had a good reputation back in the day, that being the 50's and 60's far as I know. I suspect the rifle is built on an FN commercial action.

The rifle appears from the pictures to be something of a duplicate of Warren Page's (gun writer for Field& Stream) Mashburn custom which was named "Old Betsy",was also chambered for the 7mm Mashburn Super, and which he used world wide on many hunts in Africa, North America,parts of Asia,and possibly other places I can't recall.

For its time, the cartridge was interesting.Art Mashburn actually made 3 wildcat 7mm magnums, far as I know;one about the same length as the 7mm Rem Mag, one on a full length H&H case, and one of intermediate length with a case about like the 300 Win Mag.

He found the intermediate length cartridge to be the most "efficient" of the three,his objective being a cartridge capable of starting a 175 gr bullet at over 3000 fps.Because it was the most efficient, he called it the "Super".

It should be pointed out that the cartridge design predates the 7mm Rem Mag,the 7mm STW, and the 300 Winchester mag.

The 7mm Mashburn Super was originally formed by shortening, necking down, and blowing out,300 H&H cases. This can still be done, of course, but today, we use 300 Win Mag cases run through Form/Trim dies.The case still needs to be blown out very slightly to reach full Mashburn Super dimensions.

Far as I know, Bob Hagel,the late gun writer, was among the first form the cases from 300 Win Mag brass. He also had a 7mm Mashburn Super and used it extensively in North America on everything from antelope to Yukon moose and grizzly.

Today the cartridge is duplicated or exceeded by more current designs, but practically speaking, not by much. Ballistically it is quite as "modern" as about anything out there in terms of bullet speed.

I have a rifle chambered for the cartridge,a custom on a M70 built by Gene Simillion of Gunnison, Colorado. You can expect velocities of over 3000 fps with 175 gr bullets, and 3150-3250 with a 160 gr . Some guys today have stuck 26-28" barrels on them and run 180 Bergers at 3100 fps....not bad for an antiquated design. smile Actually a lot of 7mm magnums just play catch up.

But it is a wildcat, unlikely to ever be factory adopted,and so carries the burden of case forming. This will bug some people but I'm not one of them.

If all this sounds like too much bother,feel free to contact me about it. Subject to reasonable terms, I may be interested in the rifle. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/19/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wow-oh-Wow-oh-Wow!

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Holy smokes. Or perhaps Holy Grail! A lovely little safe queen. She looks like she's ready to take a Royal trip into the field.

Great little write-up, Bob. Your knowledge of this caliber trumps everyone else on the Fire.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Son/ HuntN: She sorta drips old school nostalgia,doesn't she? cry grin

If I were the OP I would grab it and hold on.

But if he wants to discuss it, I'll be happy to help him out. wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good stuff Bob, thanks for posting!!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Nostalgia. Yep, Bob, that is the word. That's a connoisseur's rifle.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
K G -

First of all, WELCOME to the 'fire', what an entrance! <G>
That's the first pic I've seen of an original Mashburn.

BobNH -

Thanks for the backdrop on the 'Super'.

Hagel huh? Imagine that. grin friendly sarcasm.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
jwall: Yeah Hagel! Imagine that! LOL! he knew a thing or two about the cartridge. smile

IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know zero about the cartridge, but that's some nice looking wood!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The stock looks disgusting. Reminds me of one of those old Model 700 BDL stocks with those white spacers.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes it does look like an older 700.

When was this rifle made?
Norm for the time.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
1950's-1960's?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man.... I'd give up a whole bunch of my crap for that rifle.

That's the rifle and cartridge which assisted to set me on this pat of looneyism I suffer from today....

Love the 7mm Mashburn Super. What Bob says is easy stuff too. Nothing hard about making it work and really easily as well.

Semper Fi
K
OP Offline
K
Thank you for the information. I don't have a lot of history on older builders and oddball cartridges.

The rifle was offered as trade towards an AR i have, the guy with the 7mm Mashburn wants 1500 in trade value and i just couldn't begin to know if that was reasonable or not.

I have not made a deal so it is not currently mine. And if i do get it most likely would just be a safe queen so not really sure it is for me.

Is 1500 a fair number, would it be a great deal, or simply too much to risk on this rifle ?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
killa: I would say that's a fair deal....at least to me it would be.

As I stated previously if you would like to sell it after you do your deal, I would be interested; that is if you decide you don't want to keep it yourself.

You can contact me via personal message on here if you like.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/20/15.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That rifle needs to kill something. Art & Warren would agree.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
killa: I would say that's a fair deal....at least to me it would be.

As I stated previously if you would like to sell it after you do your deal, I would be interested; that is if you decide you don't want to keep it yourself.

You can contact me via personal message on here if you like.

Put me in line behind Bob. smile

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
That rifle needs to kill something. Art & Warren would agree.

Son: Sitting there....all these years. Wow! shocked

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

628 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,255
Posts18,448,109
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.