24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yesterday, as I often do during spring gobbler season, I went to the woods to educate some turkeys I know by putting on a little turkey calling seminar. I use a turkey call of my own design and creation, the Northern Scratchbox, and it fooled them again at first light. Every time a gobbler would sound off hens responded with tree calls. So I copied them. A gobbler would yodel and several hens, including me, would reply all at the same time.

At about 5:50 two gobblers flew down and landed 30 yards from me. I first focused on the one on the left. He was in full strut so I gave a soft yelp on a diaphragm call, hoping he'd raise his head so I could hit it with a swarm of Number 5s. But he stayed in strut and walked behind some old fallen limbs. So I turned to the other that was behind a tree. When he walked out at 30 yards I pulled the trigger. Their free turkey hunting seminar was over.

I'll be giving the survivors another seminar soon, but until then all the attendees were dismissed except for the winner. I awarded him a leg tag and a free ride in my truck.

The picture at the left is by the field were I walked in. The picture at the right is in front of a huge red oak that the landowner says is the second oldest red oak in the state. It's so big I bet it would take 8 or 10 people to wrap their arms around it.

Stats: 2 years old. 16.25 pounds (a lightweight for that age). 8-inch beard. 1-inch spurs. Time: 5:55 AM. You can do it earlier than that, but not by much. My Northern Scratchbox is the deadliest call I've ever used. Check it out at www.EverydayHunter.com. Gobblers buy it. (Maybe you should, too.)

Steve.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice bird. That scratch box looks like a winner.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nice

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
what I buy is that turkey hunting is easy if you're sitting where they land off the roost. wink

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TRnCO
what I buy is that turkey hunting is easy if you're sitting where they land off the roost. wink

Maybe that would be true if gobblers flew down randomly. There are at 4 mature gobblers and at least 11 hens here. With the hens talking up a racket, I suppose it could be just an accident that they flew down to me, but I don't think so.

Twice I've had hens fly down and land right in front of a gobbler coming to my call, and they've walked by them to come to me. That doesn't happen every time. It didn't happen this morning. But I've had better luck with this call than any I've ever used in more than 40 years of turkey hunting.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looks pretty slick. Just ordered 2 off the website

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Got your order. I'll try to get them out today.

Thanks.
Steve.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Got your order. I'll try to get them out today.

Thanks.
Steve.

Call received. That thing is slick. Was yelping, clucking and cutting immediately after reading instructions. Already looking forward to using it next spring

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. Glad it sounds good for you, and that you got it so fast.

I took one out this year on our opening day, fresh out of the package, not specially prepped in any way, and called in two gobblers at flydown. They work.

Steve.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Big bird down in PA. Another gobbler bought my Northern Scratchbox. 7:50 am. Posting from the kill spot. Story and photo to come this afternoon.

Steve.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image] I got my first gobbler this year at 5:55 AM on opening day. I guessed right regarding where they’d be, and when they started gobbling a hen answered. So, I did what the hen did, and two flew down to about 22 yards. They made it easy. In fact, it was a little anti-climactic. Fortunately we can get two tags.

I didn't guess right today. In fact, I’ve missed only one day since May 2, and haven’t guessed right any day. Yesterday one gobbled across the field and one off the bottom of the field, but I couldn’t approach one and it was hard to approach the other. So I figured today they’d be back where I wanted them and I’d score.

At 5:45 one gobbled, but just like yesterday he was across the field. Then a hen flew down about 60 yards from me and crossed the field toward him. Another gobbled down off the bottom of the field. I decided my best option was to sit and wait.

At 7:15, an hour and a half after first gobble, I heard one gobble in the field behind me and to my right. I looked over my shoulder and there were two, one all fanned out. I watched him enter the woods and the other headed for the near corner. I scooted around to the other side of the tree. They gobbled and I responded. They’d call back to me but didn’t seem like they wanted to come. So, after about 15 minutes I gave them some aggressive fighting purrs on my Northern Scratchbox. That has worked before on stubborn gobblers, and it got these old boys excited. After 5 or more minutes of silence, they gobbled down below me, much closer. So I hit it and really got them stirred up. Then they went silent. They were coming.

I saw one through the leafed-out underbrush and adjusted my gun. The other followed—they were heading for the corner of the field. A multi-trunk beech and a big patch of multi-flora rose blocked my view, but I hoped they’d enter the field and come along the field edge, past the multi-flora rose, to an opening. If they did, it would be a chip shot.

The didn't. They turned back into the woods. One entered an opening I figured to be about 35 yards away. That's the maximum range I assign myself to give me a margin for error. I couldn’t get on him quickly enough, and he went behind a tree. The second bird entered the same opening. I shot and he went down.

Later I paced off the distance. Good thing I had that margin for error because I badly misjudged the range, by 20%. It was actually 42 yards, not 35. Fortunately my gun is easily capable of that.

He weighed 20 pounds, had a 9-inch beard and sharp, pink spurs over an inch long. A 3-year old.

TRnCO said:
Originally Posted by TRnCO

Well, I wasn't sitting where they land off the roost today.

Steve.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't be posting about scratch boxes lol.. I personally love an Albert Paul..

Post up a soundfile or two of yours if you can and good job on the Tom.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have an original Kenny Morgan scratch box (friction wood) that I bought 15 years ago. Nothing new here. RIP Mr. Morgan.

Wooden calls are great until you try and play one in a drizzle or a morning with heavy dew. Congrats on the birds.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Strick9
Don't be posting about scratch boxes lol.. I personally love an Albert Paul..

Post up a soundfile or two of yours if you can and good job on the Tom.

Yes, I should do that. I've been wanting to do some demo videos. Gotta get that done, but with the season winding down I'm busy with other things right now.

The downside to posting sound files is that every computer they're played on will sound different, depending on the speakers in the computer. And it may not sound the same depending on the acoustics of the room I'm in. Nevertheless, I need to do it.

I'm tagged out for this year, but I've thought maybe I ought to plan to do a nice demo video next time I kill a gobbler, right from that spot. Maybe I can do two -- one that goes through all the sounds my call makes, and one that reiterates that particular hunt. In fact, maybe I should describe the calling on every bird I kill.

This call would lend itself well to a sound or video file of it's capabilities. It makestree yelps, clear yelps, raspy yelps, deep clucks, high-pitched clucks, soft purrs, loud purrs, fighting purrs, cutting, and high pitched kee-kees. I haven't yet figured out how to gobble on it. Maybe someday.

Here's a picture of the first bird I shot using my scratchbox call, back in 2011:
[Linked Image]

Steve.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
good job. I need to get after an Eastern some time. Our Rio Grandes are so stupid I got bored with hunting them, and then got bored with guiding for them.

About like your episode, generally can tag one at first light, and if not, come back around 10 and it won't take 30 minutes if that usually.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
what part of NW/Pa you from

Don't gobble at me
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fullfan
what part of NW/Pa you from

Northern Warren County, just south of Jamestown, NY.

Steve.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
795 members (10gaugemag, 163bc, 12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 78 invisible), 3,204 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,709
Posts18,400,156
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.