Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
DNA test on slain wolf-like canine may prompt probe of Colorado hunter

A licensed coyote hunter who killed a 90-pound canine near Kremmling may face prosecution, authorities said Monday, if tests prove it was a federally protected gray wolf.

If so, this would be the first confirmed wolf killed in Colorado since 2009. One was hit by a vehicle that year. Another was poisoned.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service officials said a DNA analysis hasn't been completed.

The hunter, who has not been identified, thought the animal he shot April 29 was a coyote, Colorado Parks and Wildlife spokesman Matt Robbins said.

"He did everything right" in swiftly reporting the killing on federal land near Wolford Mountain Reservoir to CPW officials at Hot Sulphur Springs, Robbins said.

But under the Endangered Species Act, a hunter can be prosecuted for killing a protected species without a permit.

The Obama administration in 2013 proposed removing gray wolves from the endangered species list. USFWS wolf recovery coordinator Mike Jimenez said wolves in the northern Rocky Mountains are stable and may be spreading.

"By all biological criteria, wolves are recovered and there are no threats to the population," Jimenez said.

Mature males leave their packs, often migrating 60 miles, Jimenez said. USFWS biologists have recorded wolves dispersing over 500 miles.

In December, a man in Utah killed a wolf known widely among schoolchildren as Echo, saying he thought he was shooting at a coyote. The feds are investigating and weighing whether to file charges.

Wildlife advocates urged aggressive enforcement. Colorado officials must protect wolves, not just tolerate them, and notify residents they may be present, said Michael Robinson of the Center for Biological Diversity.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
S.S.S........

Hang on tight !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Serious question: how large is an average CO coyote?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He won't be charged, thats just speculation by the writer.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 4ager
Serious question: how large is an average CO coyote?

'Bout 90 lbs. last I checked. wink cool

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by exbiologist
He won't be charged, thats just speculation by the writer.

I doubt he will be either.

Still, how big is an average CO coyote? The ones I've seen out there might go 30-40 lbs. No offense, but if you can't tell the difference between a 30-40 lbs canine and a 90 lbs canine, you probably aren't someone I want out there hunting in the first place. It's pretty much akin to the idiots that shoot moose every year mistaking them for elk.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably 30ish pounds should be an average coyote. plus or minus 7ish

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
40lbs is a big fuggin coyote

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
another good wolf!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
He didn't do " everything right". 2nd thing he should have done was bury the damn thing.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep....theres times when "right" and "law-abiding" aren't the same thing...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If they have to do a DNA analysis to verify species, the hunter shouldn't even be charged.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How many triple S guys carry a shovel? Guess all you Colorado boys better get one. Then figure out what's "right." mtmuley

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by mtmuley
How many triple S guys carry a shovel? Guess all you Colorado boys better get one. Then figure out what's "right." mtmuley

Lot of things can be use to bury a critter with out needing a shovel.
Hell, he could of just let it lay and not say anything, but I suspect he wanted to brag about it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For a while it was considered cool to keep these things (or at least hybrids) as pets.
Who is to say that it was wild?

Some years back it actually happened in my area that someone shot a domestic one thinking it to be a coyote.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well saddlesore, at least you're prepared. mtmuley

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
If they have to do a DNA analysis to verify species, the hunter shouldn't even be charged.

Exactly, if they can't give a positive ID just looking at it then it's pretty hypocritical to expect someone hunting to know for sure.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Lar68
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek

Exactly, if they can't give a positive ID just looking at it then it's pretty hypocritical to expect someone hunting to know for sure.

DING! DING!

EXACTAMUNDO!!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by leemar28
S.S.S........

grin

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I would prefer there be many coyote hunters out there who couldnt tell the difference. But, they should be smart enough to ass choot and button up.

Last edited by eyeball; 05/23/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 68 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.