Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
As a surplus of caution in the Interior Alaska woods, I carry a S&W mod. 329PD with BuffaloBore 255 grain loads plus a Kimber Pepperblaster. I'm considering adding a Falcon "marine signal horn" to my non-winter woods kit.

I've been using one in my boat for several years, but discovered this winter that my very old sled dogs and our Border Collie, who are near totally deaf, can hear that obnoxiously loud horn. When out of sight, they quickly slink back with a guilty look on their faces. When I honk at them when I can see them, they act like it almost blows them over. They are startled... and run to Dad. Even with my poor hearing, the horn is painfully loud.

It has been suggested by a local guide that the marine signal horn can be used as a bear deterrent. This makes sense to me, although I'd like to hear other opinions.

Up until now, my bear drill has been pepper spray in the left hand, 44 in the right. I think perhaps the horn should be the first resort, then the PepperBlaster and the 44.

I'd like to hear thoughts from those who deal with bears frequently, particularly Phil.

Thanks.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just buy a tag and you'll never see one.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
No need to carry that much crap. I'd just carry the gun and practice alot with it. Have you practiced your shooting one handed while holding a can of pepper in the other?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have discharged centerfire rifles and revolvers toward quite a few bears over the years. Generally those which are some distance (≥ 100 yards) will gladly make tracks and skidaddle. OTOH, those which are ≤ 20 yards will often only glare. (These are bears that don't have much human contact FWIW.) I have no faith in noise to deter bears (unless I am actively trying to approach them crazy .)

I don't carry anything other than what's in my head along with some type of weapon (firearm) I can shoot well. When bears need to be scared away after they have gotten too close, I like to shoot the rock nearest to the bear. Bears are rarely unimpressed by splattered high speed bullet fragments and rock shards.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by endgameAK
As a surplus of caution in the Interior Alaska woods, I carry a S&W mod. 329PD with BuffaloBore 255 grain loads plus a Kimber Pepperblaster. I'm considering adding a Falcon "marine signal horn" to my non-winter woods kit.

I've been using one in my boat for several years, but discovered this winter that my very old sled dogs and our Border Collie, who are near totally deaf, can hear that obnoxiously loud horn. When out of sight, they quickly slink back with a guilty look on their faces. When I honk at them when I can see them, they act like it almost blows them over. They are startled... and run to Dad. Even with my poor hearing, the horn is painfully loud.

It has been suggested by a local guide that the marine signal horn can be used as a bear deterrent. This makes sense to me, although I'd like to hear other opinions.

Up until now, my bear drill has been pepper spray in the left hand, 44 in the right. I think perhaps the horn should be the first resort, then the PepperBlaster and the 44.

I'd like to hear thoughts from those who deal with bears frequently, particularly Phil.

Thanks.

I like the way you think and if I had three hands I would probably also carry a noise maker

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If I were seriously wanting pepper spray for a bear deterrent, I would not be using a small reservoir 4.2 oz something designed for human muggers or rapists. (I would rather have that second hand on the handgun in that situation.) You should consider carrying a large canister of real bear pepper spray like a 9.2 oz UDAP product or 10.2 oz Counter assault. They are both designed for bear situations. Check out the specs and go with something effective, and with the capacity to really blast a dose out there. Even those big canisters empty out fast!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Whatever makes you feel good, as long as grey matter is the first defense.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by las

Now that is signature line worthy!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Here is some interesting data from Dr. Tom White, a retired USGS bear researcher. He did a presentation for our company as we provide wildlife intervention (mostly polar and grizzly bear) for the project.

Let me say first off that this is not to infer that one shouldn't go afield with a handgun for bear protection. This data is presented solely for information. What is done with it is an individual's choice.

In 147 reported uses of pepper spray in Alaska, there was only a 3% injury rate of the user. And those were minor injuries in which the injured party was able to walk out. No bears in this reporting were injured.

Interestingly the firearms numbers were less positive. Out of 444 reported uses of firearms in Alaska to fend off a bear attack, 28% of the people sustained significant injury ranging from serious to fatal. These reports also accounted for 172 dead bears. I've nothing against dead bears but once you kill a grizzly in claimed self defense, Fish and Game takes a close look at the circumstances to determine if it was justified or not. Dr. White admitted that these were just the raw statistics and it was impossible based on the reportings, to break it down by firearms user proficiency levels.

He also stated that neither pepper spray nor firearms were any use stowed in a pack.

Once again I post this simply for your information.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I take such studies with a grain of salt, because it’s very difficult for one to tell the specifics about the use of pepper spray, as well as the use of firearms. For example, I would imagine that the people using pepper spray were not sneaking around quietly hunting game with a can of pepper spray in their hands. More than likely these people were camping or perhaps hiking on well established campgrounds and trails. Also, more than likely they weren’t alone when participating in these activities.

Hunters on the other hand, hunt alone once they have arrived to their hunting spot, and often sneak around quietly trying to avoid spooking game. As such, there is a good chance that a hunter sneaking around in the woods can come upon a bear cache or kill that is being protected by a bear, or a saw with cubs, or a bear coming in to grab the animal the hunter has just killed. Besides that, more than likely the hunter has a firearm in his hand when hunting, not a can of bear repellent.

Last edited by Ray; 05/24/15.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
More important than the points you make is the fact many cans of bear repellent are emptied in cases where there was going to be zero interaction anyway. I heard a guy bragging about using spray to run a bear off at no less than 100 yards for example...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
That was presented as raw data and Dr. White presented it as such for us to draw our own conclusions. He wasn't advocating for one over the other. This information simply came as an aside to the polar bear behavior and interaction class he put on for us.

While I agree that most hunters are likely to be moving quietly and more apt to have an up close encounter then those who are making some noise, there is a large contingent of firearms carriers in the form of fishermen and campers who prefer handguns over pepper spray and would be likely to be just as noisy as the pepper spray carrying crowd.

From my standpoint pepper spray is an excellent option. I've seen it work in several instances and would advocate it's use especially in the case of someone who is not committed enough to learning how to use a firearm under stressful situations. It will not discourage a bear at 100 yards. It will only make it about 20 yards in the best of conditions. It is strictly a close up tool, just like a handgun. Anyone who brags they used it at 100 yards to run off a bear is full of BS to be honest.

It is also not the end all be all in bear protection. It is an effective tool when used properly. Proper bear defense begins between the ears, the same as personal safety anywhere else. One needs to be armed with the proper tools, the where with all to use them appropriately and the savvy to avoid bad situations if possible. Granted, that's not always possible but often times situational awareness can go a long ways toward mitigating bad scenarios.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So it means that to use pepper spray one would also have to practice just as much as practicing with a gun, and only at that point, with an equal number of people at each side, one may have a better idea of which one of the two (guns and pepper spray) would be better.

But one also has to take into account that a hunter who is alone sneaking around the woods has a greater possibility to encounter bears while hunting, than more than one hiker making noise on a hiking trail.

I have seen several bear repellent studies where the biologists testing the effectiveness of the spray enter the bear's danger zone (at places where bears congregate such a dumpsite), and then use the spray. But I imagine that an enraged bear that charges a hunter at close range in the woods-to protect its cache or cubs-is not going to stop that easily, not even when pepper spray is used. Now, if the hunter who is standing next to the biologist testing the bear spray at a dumpsite tests the effectiveness of his gun, his or her chances of killing it may not be that bad as long as he is using the right gun and load to do the job, of course.

Just remember the following: what is the usual tool used to kill a bear that has killed or consumed a human (s)?

That said, "I know nothing about bears." That's why I take such studies with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Ray; 05/24/15.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For general protection against bears, one's wits are probably more important than guns and bear sprays, but there is nothing to lose by having both.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by las

Now that is signature line worthy!

Ed

I carry heat, too! When out and about. smile

Actually, the majority of my interesting/note-worthy events have occurred in my Sterling yard, or near vicinity. A door works pretty good, too.

That garden trowel just wasn't inspiring much confidence, even if she was blatantly not making eye contact while bitching out her cubs trying to make nose contact with the Lab...... Damned kids anyway...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
466 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 46 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.