have no experience with side by sides

http://www.mwreynolds.com/HTML/AYAno4roundPage.html

or something like this but in 12 gauge?
http://www.mwreynolds.com/HTML/shotHollandRoyalDeluxe28.html

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
You are talking apples and oranges.........

"IF" you just want to kill stuff, the AYA will work just dandy.
Caveat; I know they used to. The Spanish shotgun industry has undergone major changes and I don't know what the present state of affairs with the various Basque makers might be.

But "IF" you might be looking at resale value someday, the "right" H&H would be the better investment. Much greater resale value down the line. Holland and Holland is a top name brand, AYA not so much. Better take someone who knows English doubleguns, inside and out, before you lay down the cash.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep.

And a shotgun is like a toothbrush, it's a personal thing. You need to shoot some side by sides to see if you can hit with them. And you need to feel, shoulder and handle a bunch of guns to find the one that you can perform with.

To me, buying a shotgun, especially a vintage side by side is about as complicated a gun buying process that you could think of. Lots of pitfalls out there.

Find a good dealer, maybe more than one. Visit their places, ask questions and in the process, find that jewell that's perfect for you. I've done a lot of trading to get the few keepers I now have and fortunately didn't take a bath. If you're not careful, trading can get expensive, much more so than seeking out a reputable dealer for assistance in finding that one gun you'll cherish and keep.

DF

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Keep an eye on cabels's gun library and such places and you can find a used AYA #4 between 2-3 thousand. Ugartechea makes some very decent SXS's that you can attain for about $1000.

I would not drop 6K-7K unless I was familiar with the gun and knew it fit me.

Here, knock yourself out.
http://gun.home.cyberverse.com/
http://www.fieldsportltd.com/gunroom/preowned.php?listBy=preownedBySideBySide
http://www.doubleshotguns.com/used-overunder-shotguns.html
http://doublegunshop.com/quala2.htm

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
R.H. just handed you the keys to the kingdom...

DF

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
By the time you win the lottery, you'll know which one to buy!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
AYA makes a better than good shotgun and they are modeled after the English best with more than a little hand fitting. Holland & a Holland has the name and prestige, but today they use more than a little CNC machines and like AYA do the hand fitting at the end. They are no longer hand made from start to finish. The final finish on the H&H will be, and should be better. Will it outlast the AYA? Seriously doubt it.

Depends on your wallet and how you are going to use is it. Break something on the H&H and back to England it may have to go, although they probably do have certified smiths here in the States. Crack a stock and you have problems.

Investment? H&H all the way.

Looking for a great SXS? Check out what Perazzi has to offer and you may be surprised. More than AYA AT $18,000- no chickens on the frame, they cost extra- but you could buy more than a few for the price of one H&H and have one for whatever game you want to play.

Shot a Perazzi SXS a couple weeks ago and it was sweet.

No problem hitting with a SXS, but for that kind of cash it would be wise to get it right the first time re dimensions, forend style and what you are going to use it for.

Perazzi for the win. : wink Since money doesn't seem to be an issue, with you feeling lucky.

Addition: Sidelocks are nice to put some scratching on, but can be a PITA when it comes to long term wood fit. Boxlocks again for the win.

Last edited by battue; 03/29/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If you hit the Lotto, why not buy an example of every shotgun out there- you can afford it. Then get back to us with your reviews of each one!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
As noted, night and day. If I were up for spending H&H-ish money I would be looking for a Scottish round body or a Westley Richards droplock. But hey, that's just me. smile

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EdM
As noted, night and day. If I were up for spending H&H-ish money I would be looking for a Scottish round body or a Westley Richards droplock. But hey, that's just me. smile

Yeah Ed,

You got good taste... smile

DF

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Prices of top name English guns - Purdey, H&H, Boss, WR, etc. - have been dropping like rocks on the used market. Spanish guns have generally been good buys on the used market, never new. They are like a new Chevrolet when you drive it off the showroom floor.

However, be very careful. Buy the gun, not the name.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If you just want to get your feet wet with SxS, there's worse ideas than CZ, used Jap Ithacas etc.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.