-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
so back this winter i bought a 10/22 set up off this site that was in a bull barrel configuration. i shot it a bit and even though it shot very nice groups i decided i already had a nice range gun in rimfire so was going to turn this one into a nice sporter tree rat whacking rig. i sold the heavy barrel and stock to a member here and i picked up a 20" Green Mountain SS fluted sporter barrel. i had used the same barrel type in a M77/17 hmr i had at one time and really liked the performance i got. then after poking around a few other forums i found someone who had a nice unmolested factory walnut delux sporter stock with some decent figure in the wood for sale. that stock is on its way to me now and by this weekend i should be test driving the set up. the barrel channel will need to be opened ever so slightly for the GM barrel profile but that shouldn't take more than a few min of sanding. I'll eventually slap a 2-7 rimfire scope on it but for now i have an old 3-9 centerfire scope i'll use to get it on paper until the funds replenish. i had a friend who is very experience with the 10/22 (this is my very first one) go through the trigger group and bolt assembly for me. he jeweled the bolt face and rounded off the edges and cleaned the bolt face for me. completely tore down the trigger group and provided me new true size pins that hold the trigger group to the action with no wiggle. the trigger originally had been lightened a lot by the owner before me but since my sons will be shooting this one too i actually had the trigger pull increased to close to 3 lbs. it was easily at 1 lb or less prior to that. anyway after this i'm done with acquiring 22's anymore and will turn my attention to another shotgun or two for the stable. this past year i've acquired several 22's for my sons use and one or two for myself. included but not limited to the recent additions are a Win74, Mossberg 44US(a), Marlin 39A golden Mounty, Remington model 5 and this 10/22. now each of my boys has access to one decent 22 for their use and can keep their mitts off mine. (the 10/22 will be used by all of us but that one will stay with me when they leave.)

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What do you think. Not the best picture. The stock has decent figure.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like a nice project. I like the stainless barrel, blued receiver, with wood stock look. What's the story on the gobbler in the background?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
He's been lurking there for a while now. Won't even go to roost at night.

Actually it's a bit of a joke, got it from a guy as a joke. Nice mount in it's day and has some dandy spurs, but what you cant tell in that picture is the guys dog chewed away on the tail feathers. I thought it would be a good funny man cave item but I come to find out my wife is not happy at all about it. Too bad. I have several tails mounted on the wall from various hunts over the years and I thought about having a taxidermy replace the fan and beard with one of mine. The other option is that bird may end up going back to Mizzou with my two boys and hang out at the fraternity house. They can't be any worse on it than that guys dog was.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I really like your 10/22! I have had similar one for almost 10 years I guess. It came with a stainless barrel and a checkered walnut stock. I couldn't get it to shoot very well and ended up putting a 24" stainless Montana Rifleman barrel and a target trigger on it. I have forgotten who the trigger maker is.

It will easily keep 5 shots under an inch at 50 yards and many groups will end up between a 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch. A squirrel doesn't have a prayer. The best ammo I have found for it is Remington Subsonic which is fine with me. The quieter it is the better I like it these days. This one, with the subsonic ammo, is about as quiet as you can get without a silencer.

My Ruger 10/22 is probably my favorite rimfire of all that I have owned over the years. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.

Harry
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL

Actually it's a bit of a joke, got it from a guy as a joke. Nice mount in it's day and has some dandy spurs, but what you cant tell in that picture is the guys dog chewed away on the tail feathers. I thought it would be a good funny man cave item but I come to find out my wife is not happy at all about it. Too bad. I have several tails mounted on the wall from various hunts over the years and I thought about having a taxidermy replace the fan and beard with one of mine. The other option is that bird may end up going back to Mizzou with my two boys and hang out at the fraternity house. They can't be any worse on it than that guys dog was.

Funny story. Dogs will find the worst stuff to chew up. My lab decided to destroy my mom's Christmas present one year. My dog left all the other presents and only got hers. I thought my mom would be furious. My mom didn't seem to care and she is definitely the biggest defender of her grand dog.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL

. . . The other option is that bird may end up going back to Mizzou with my two boys and hang out at the fraternity house. They can't be any worse on it than that guys dog was.

I was with you right up until that last part!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bummer! I had wanted to hit the range this weekend to do some more shooting but all I got was rain. I will try to get out on we'd after work and see how things go. Next weekend the tree rat season opens here in missouri and I want this thing ready to go.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Rained all day today so no shooting done. There is a small chance I might get out fri mid morning for a quick range trip but it isn't promising.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (222Sako, 163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.