24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fact is a common 243 will do for what 95% of what hunters do - yet most feel it's not ego satisfying to use it and get them for women and children. Funny how it kills just fine for them smile

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Truth is you don't need a lot of rifles to hunt with, but you DO need a lot of rifles to play with.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Truth is you don't need a lot of rifles to hunt with, but you DO need a lot of rifles to play with.

Nailed it! smile

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

So well put. Need we say more?? grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yup .... Our fathers had one rifle for everything, more of a tool than anything. Mine had a Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine. I don't think he fired more than 2 boxes of shell in that thing all the time I knew him.

We don't have guns, we have toys that we like to dress up in different stock and scopes and show them off on the interweb. Get bored, sell them off and start all over again with the latest fad bbl maker/scope/stock/chambering.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Gold, Bob, 24 karat gold.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Accepting as fact that the Rem M700 action is the worst of all!!

That'll leave plenty for me to buy up cheaply!! grin

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I don't think handloading is necessarily part of loonyism--except the kind Jim in Idaho described, where loonies who almost never shoot except off a bench (and even then maybe never beyond 100 yards) strive for the tiniest groups, even though such groups are meaningless in the vast majority of hunting.

I've known guys who handload and shoot a lot, but don't buy and sell and "build" rifles constantly, hoping one will change their life. Instead these guys handload because they shoot a lot, and because they shoot a lot they shoot well, even off their hind legs "like a man." Hell, I even known one woman, very well, who shoots off her hind legs very well, unlike most men. :-)

John,

How might one learn to shoot off his front legs? You know, just in case his hind legs are occupied?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Coming from a state that recently passed legislation that:
1. classified bb guns as firearms
2. considers a crossbow a muzzleloader
3. says you can use a 10 shot clip so long as you only put 7 rounds in it
4. made it illegal to bring your trophy buck from Pennsylvania back to NY for mounting
5. made it illegal to sit in an elevated stand with a young hunter....

What state is this?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
ExtremeHunter16,

Probably by pulling the trigger with whichever toe works best. This technique would no doubt be most effective when shooting big game through the front shoulders.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not every gun owner hunts.

Me

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If I could find a balance between a an antelope rifle for relatively long range and work in the timber for elk I would have one rifle for me and one for the wife. But as it stands I have about 5 in the safe for these two purposes.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wyoming260
If I could find a balance between a an antelope rifle for relatively long range and work in the timber for elk I would have one rifle for me and one for the wife. But as it stands I have about 5 in the safe for these two purposes.

Such are the perils of the age of specialization we live in... smile

Nimrods of another era grabbed a 270. 30/06,7 mag or 300 mag and made it work.....toss in elk and sheep and mule deer in open country.And plains game in Africa,and Asian mountain game as well. All with one rifle.

We can do it if we read less, shoot and hunt more. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by wyoming260

Such are the perils of the age of specialization we live in... smile

Nimrods of another era grabbed a 270. 30/06,7 mag or 300 mag and made it work.....toss in elk and sheep and mule deer in open country.And plains game in Africa,and Asian mountain game as well. All with one rifle.

We can do it if we read less, shoot and hunt more. wink

Ha, there is the root of the problem. I have a big long heavy .260 and a nice light .243 that are a excellent pair on the prairie, antelope and such. I have a Tikka t3 .300 and a Ruger 77(7x57) for deer and elk in mountains( hunt at same time). So in reality for me and the wife we each have one gun to hunt with, they just happen to be different guns depending on whether I drive East of the house ( prairie) or West( mountains) The k98 in 8x57 is just sort of a back up. although I have shot a few deer with it.
If I was smart I would just by a pair of tikkas in .260 or 6.5x55 and we could be happy, one would have to be a compact because the wife is barely five feet tall.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.