Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Hey you RV electricians...when an on-demand pump is on but no water is running, is it using electricity other than an occasional pump to maintain pressure? Does it run down the battery to leave the pump on at night or when you're gone fishing?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got another one for electricians. Lets say that you have an extension cord that is plugged in and there is electricity available at the female plug, but nothing plugged in to it. There will be no electricity lost out of the plug, but it is there, but when you unplug the cord all the electricity is gone, or leaks out or whatever it does. Why not put a female plug on both ends and keep the juice in the cord? grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
grin Seriously, though, when no water is running, the pump is holding pressure without the use of a pressure tank. Does it need juice to hold it or does it rely on the check valve?

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't say for sure, but my impression is it operates with a check valve and pressure switch. I work under the assumption that the only juice it uses is the lighted switch and any quick cycles it runs if pressure leaks down. That being said, I almost always turn mine off at night or when I leave the camper. A broken pipe or leaky faucet could run your tank and battery dry, burn the pump up, and possibly flood the camper.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No where near an electrician, but the above is why I turn mine off.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
grin Seriously, though, when no water is running, the pump is holding pressure without the use of a pressure tank. Does it need juice to hold it or does it rely on the check valve?

No, it doesn't use juice while at rest.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Like K said, the pump runs on battery. Plugging a cord into the RV maintains the battery. There are a couple things that could run down a battery without you knowing it. Those LED lights, mine has a gas detector that is activated by battery. Most of the lights are on battery. The water pump maintains pressure, no pressure loss, no run.

An extension cord that is only plugged in on the male end does nothing. To use electricity, it must complete the circuit.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
But what about those cords that have the little light in the female end?

Are they just an attempt by the electric companys to get a few pennies out of us when we aren't using the cord? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by plainsman456
But what about those cords that have the little light in the female end?

Are they just an attempt by the electric companys to get a few pennies out of us when we aren't using the cord? grin

Those cords are the electrical equivalent of a faucet with a slow drip - easy enough to fix (unplug the male end), but not enough of an issue to bother with. wink

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Like K said, the pump runs on battery. Plugging a cord into the RV maintains the battery.
My average elk hunt doesn't have 45 miles of extension cord figured into the plans.

― George Orwell

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I once heard tell of a guy with a winch cable that long on his truck. He probably has an extension cord to match.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by K1500
- - - the only juice it uses is the lighted switch and any quick cycles it runs if pressure leaks down. That being said, I almost always turn mine off at night or when I leave the camper. A broken pipe or leaky faucet could run your tank and battery dry, burn the pump up, and possibly flood the camper.
For almost all RV setups, the above will be the case (although my old RV does not have a check valve beyond the pump). And, K1500 gives a good caution about turn-off.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
I got another one for electricians. Lets say that you have an extension cord that is plugged in and there is electricity available at the female plug, but nothing plugged in to it. There will be no electricity lost out of the plug, but it is there, but when you unplug the cord all the electricity is gone, or leaks out or whatever it does. Why not put a female plug on both ends and keep the juice in the cord? grin miles

Miles - the juice is still in the cord after you unplug it, but you no longer have the driver thingy to push it out - I think that pushing part is in the receptacle and usually is purple. Then again, are you sure that you don't have gender confusion problem? That might cause leaks.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CCCC

Miles - the juice is still in the cord after you unplug it, but you no longer have the driver thingy to push it out - I think that pushing part is in the receptacle and usually is purple. Then again, are you sure that you don't have gender confusion problem? That might cause leaks.
So can you blow into the female end to force it out? I wouldn't be caught dead blowing on the male end.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CCCC

Just keep in mind those little driver thingy's can be pried out with uninsulated screw drivers.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Like K said, the pump runs on battery. Plugging a cord into the RV maintains the battery.
My average elk hunt doesn't have 45 miles of extension cord figured into the plans.

A nice 100W solar panel will cure all your problems. smile

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If the pump is a "regular" rv water pump then it won't use any power while in "stand by" until the water pressure drops to the point that the pump turns on.

If the pump is the newer variable speed aquajet type then its electronics will draw some current (a few mA) while in "stand by".

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

When we were kids, me and Wilburn shot out a section of hiline wire by by firing our 22's simultaneously 50 feet apart.

We used that captured 'lectricity to start campfires with all winter.

We was gonna go back and touch the ends back together next Fall to charge it back up, but the 'lectric company had fixed it.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gene, maybe you could 'splain to Miles how to unleash that juice stored in the wire.

Last edited by CCCC; 05/21/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then again, are you sure that you don't have gender confusion problem? That might cause leaks.

I don't think that is my problem with the leaks, I think it is old age. I'll take a look for that purple thingy. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 12 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 686 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.