Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I agree with the article.
______

Momentum Beats Speed for Lethal Arrow Hits

Momentum Beats Speed for Lethal Arrow Hits
Lethal shots without wounding deer are every ethical hunter’s top priority, and shot placement and an understanding of anatomy are paramount. However, momentum should be the most important part of arrow selection if we want to achieve every ethical bowhunter’s top priority.

The archery industry and too many bowhunters have a fascination with the speed of an arrow. If 3-D shooting is your only quest, speed is the major factor, and you don’t need to be concerned with momentum. If you are a deer hunter striving for quick, clean, humane kills, then it’s all about momentum.

Much has been written about this subject, but little of it seems to be put into practice. I’m sure someone out there will argue that they kill every deer they shoot at with their ultra-light, super-fast arrows. And I’m also sure someone out there could kill a deer with a jackknife. I just want hunters to understand the physics of momentum and be aware of this critical aspect of bowhunting.

In simple terms, speed is what gets an arrow to its target. Momentum is what happens after it hits the target.

Yes, speed figures into the equation of momentum, but weight has more relevance than speed in the momentum equation. Kinetic energy is a firearms equation and not relevant to archery. Here are a couple non-hunting examples to help you grasp what momentum is.

• A baseball going 100 mph has less momentum than a bowling ball going 10 mph.

• A basketball coming down a hill at 20 mph is easily stopped by a healthy adult, but that same adult would do well to get out of the way of a Cadillac rolling down the same hill at 5 mph.

The same is true for arrows. A heavy arrow has greater momentum and it is much harder to stop after it meets resistance. That can be especially important with a marginal hit or a hit that encounters bone.

Why then do we strive for speed by going to lighter and lighter arrows? I think because we have been convinced that speed means power and flat trajectory. Both are true to a point, but for bowhunting we need to go a step further and ask “Compared to what?” If more power means the ability to penetrate after meeting resistance, then it’s not completely true that speed produces power. If flatter trajectory means like a bullet, then it’s not true at all. The fastest hunting arrows are extremely slow compared to even the slowest bullet. These fast arrows are much slower than the speed of sound, which is 1,085 feet per second. Let the 3-D and firearms folks have speed; we bowhunters need to concentrate on momentum.

The good news is we can use all this modern bow technology the industry is hyping as speed and convert it to the more important task of momentum. All that’s required is that we shoot a heavier arrow. Sure, speed will go down, and yes trajectory will not be as flat. However what we give up is minor compared to what we gain in quick, humane killing power. For those of you who are shooting high-poundage bows, let’s say above 65 pounds, even the lighter arrows should have enough momentum for whitetails at reasonable distances, however heavier arrows will perform much better for you at longer distances, on marginal hits, and when you hit bone. You may also want to recalculate if you plan a hunt for moose, elk, or bear. Remember, momentum is diminishing as an arrow travels. And it diminishes much faster for light arrows than it does for heavy ones. Don’t blame me, it’s simple physics.

As you can see, this fast-arrow thing is luring us into a false sense of security. Because we can hit a target farther out, we do it, even though the light arrow that allowed the easier shot may not have the momentum to kill quickly and humanely. Hitting an animal at 40 or 50 yards is no consolation if it runs away with only one punctured lung. Where we really get into trouble is with the bows of lighter poundage, say below 60 pounds.

This article is mostly about the killing power of heavier vs. lighter arrows, but there are other advantages as well to the heavier arrow. The shot will be quieter, more forgiving, and less prone to deflection or wind drift. Yes, a well-placed light arrow is certainly better than a poorly placed heavy one. However, all things being equal, the heavy ones allow for a greater margin of error.

Here are some guidelines if you want to quickly kill deer and track wounded ones less.

Only go after the “speed you need.” Let the rest of the bow’s power be converted to momentum. Here in the northeast we rarely shoot at deer beyond 20 yards. When we teach the Quality Deer Hunter course (a 4-part training course focusing on fine-tuning archery and firearms equipment as well as anatomy and shot placement) , we ask our participants to fill out a questionnaire, and one of the questions is, “What is the average distance deer are from you when you shoot?” The answer for several years of data is about 16 yards. My own average is closer to 12. So, the speed we need is most likely far less than what we have. Again, I’m sure we have this speed because we have been led to believe that speed is power. Hopefully you have already been convinced that it’s not true. So if my 64-lb. bow shoots a 520-grain arrow at 220 fps (very slow by today’s standards) I can sight it in to hit dead on at 16 to 17 yards and not have to worry about any other sight pins from 0 to 20 yards. The trajectory will be slightly higher closer up and slightly lower further back, but not enough to cause a miss at the 8- to 9-inch vital area we are shooting at. With this setup I can be confident of clean pass-through shots, even if I shoot a sharp angle where the arrow enters behind the last rib and exits in front of the off-side leg. Please don’t ever try this shot with overly light arrows or you will be tracking for a long time. What should have been a dead-in-10-seconds deer will become a maybe-dead-in-several-hours one.

We all know the exit hole is more conducive to retrieving a deer than the entrance hole. Momentum is your best friend if you want exit holes nearly every time.

For those of you worried about the deer jumping the string because of slow arrows, let me assure you at 12 yards even 150 fps will get an arrow to the deer before they can react. Where we get into trouble with deer jumping the string because of “arrow noise” is when the distance gets beyond 20 yards. Remember, sound is traveling 1,085 fps, so even your super-fast 300 fps arrows are not going to beat a deer’s ears at longer distances. Movement and bow noises before the shot are the more likely culprits at the shorter distances.

Perhaps someone someday will be able to tell us how much momentum we need to cleanly kill any given game animal at any given distance. Until that day let me leave you with my unscientific advice that has served me well for whitetails. I’ll start with the premise that the bow setup I’m using leaves nothing to be desired. It is simple, lethal, has never let me down, and has killed 43 deer to date. Based on that, let’s just say we need our arrows’ total weight to be about 8 grains per pound of draw weight if our bow is in the 60-lb. range. If you are shooting a bow in the 70-lb. range, we can drop that back to 6 grains per pound of draw weight. And lastly and most importantly you might want to think about 10 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight if you get down in the 45- to 50-lb. range. Yes these heavier arrows out of these low-poundage bows will be slower, but faster arrows that wound are of little use to an ethical hunter. If that means the hunters with lower-poundage bows can only shoot out to 15 yards, then so be it. I have a feeling, however, that even these slower arrows could be sighted in for a couple of inches high at 10 yards and still be in an 8-inch vital zone at 20 yards. At least when these arrows hit the deer they have a decent and more lethal amount of momentum.

Let’s review my advice:
6 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight for bows in the 70-lb. range
8 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight for bows in the 60-lb. range
10 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight for bows in the 50-lb. range

In summary, set up your archery equipment understanding that momentum is more important than speed. If you need more speed, it should come from a higher poundage bow, not a lighter arrow.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll take 310-330 fps from a 375-435grn arrow all day long. Arrows in that weight/speed range have worked flawlessly. One thing I will add...run a stiff enough arrow. Even some underspined arrows will be heavy. But upon impact too much energy/momentum is lost due to arrow flex. Just my .02

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If one says shot placement is the most important overall......only shoot a bow you can easily handle. Also trajectory becomes important when one is shooting unknown distances of 30 to 70 yards. Point blank range momentum....Longer range accuracy. IMO.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
cut on contact heads, nothing mechanical, good and sharp, decent weight arrows to help penetration, and close shots, no long shots.

This has always worked. And worked really well.

Shooting at unknown distances 30-70 yards, you shoudl have your bow removed from your ownership... no flame, just IMHO

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oddly enough my speed and arrow weight along with the draw weights he shows in this match exactly with what I have been shooting for 20 years now. Guess I agree with this as well.

I'll add that in my 30's and 40's I was shooting 70-74 pounds, mid 40's I dropped down to 67 because the long shooting sessions were taking their toll on my shoulder.

At 55 I was shooting 63lbs with the SWBXT and killed every single thing I attempted across NA and Africa. Including several very large bears, Bison, Eland, Kudu, Elk and a goat.

I have a bow that will adjust to 72 pounds at the high end and 60 at the low side. It's sitting at 65 right now and it's fantastic. I'm hoping I have at least another decade of mid 60's draw weight in me. However I do believe that as my draw weight goes down, my arrow weight will go up to manage the difference.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rosy 495 I realize I deserved the "torch" because I was being redundant but also trying to be subtle. What ever your bow shoots the best please shoot! Tight groups out weigh weight of arrow.....do not get " overbowed". And when shooting instinctively with a bow a flatter shooting set up will make me smile more often.However one must respect point blank dynamics like the article says. Just like the rifleman we must find what combo we can shoot most accurately.We should be aware what we and our bows like to shoot....and not mandate a doctrine.JMO.

Last edited by Angus1895; 05/23/15.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Your comment about shooting unknown distances is what I am talking about.

I have other thougths on long shots with bows due to time of flight and animal reactions. At least locally.

Iv'e shot mule deer at longer distances that never move. Our deer are different.

For that reason I keep my distances short. I don't much care about heavy or light arrows, both can work, but speed is not the only answer and mechanicals have had so many failures I fail to see why anyone would risk them. Targets yes, animals no.

As to the rifleman, even there flat is not an issue and never should be, if you can get it along with wind resistance thats good, but generally speaking wind resistance comes from heavy for caliber bullets, which generally do not equivalate to the flat rounds everyone wants/used to want.

The whole key to this conversation, is correct, you shoot what shoots best and what you can shoot best, but when it comes to longer shots, bow or otherwise, if not done wiht a way of knowing the distance, then it should not be done at all.

There are short distances where we know nothing much matters, 200 yards and in on most rifles, and probably 20 ish yards and in on most bows.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Arrows kill by penetration and cutting , speed just makes hitting a little easier past 20 yards. Personally i will take momentum over speed any day .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The article is a little sloppy physics wise in a couple of places.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Momentum, Kinetic Energy - same arrow, same speed - two different equations to evaluate potential. The slower the projectile the better momentum looks. The faster the better KE looks. Reality is that modern compound bows with reasonable weight arrows have plenty of power no matter what method you evaluate it with. Remember the Indians were killing elk with self bows and rosewood arrows. The key was then the same as it is now, put a sharp broadhead in the right place.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
There is no doubt that "enough is enough". I shoot heavy arrows for two reasons. I want a pass-through and they make a bow much quieter. The animals I hunt react much differently to a bow that sounds like a bird leaving a limb then they do one that sounds like a tool box dropped on the garage floor.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
seems to me you may want to revisit your choice of bows. Because I can run a med wt arrow (375-390grains) from an Obsession even at 70#+ and its whisper quiet. And that arrow is flat moving. just sayin

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I bet it would be really quite with a 500grn Piledriver.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (007FJ, 257 mag, 44mc, 163bc, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,663 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.