Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Guys,

I recently completed a couple of articles. If you are interested in the subjects click on the links.

Black Powder Pressure Curves & Bullet Obturation (http://www.texas-mac.com/Black_Powder_Pressure_Curves_and_Bullet_Obturation.html)

Firing a Black Powder Cartridge – Progression of Events (http://www.texas-mac.com/Firing_a_Black_Powder_Cartridge_-_Progression_of_Events.html)

Wayne

Last edited by texasmac; 05/20/15.

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As expected, more great SOLID stuff, Wayne. Knowledge hard earned, as it were, and it's GREAT that you are passing it on.

I'm just going to toss in a few parallel observations, re: longer straight cases, primer protrusion, and "Case Stretching".

A.) A rifle set up for the woods and hunting fields, particularly one dedicated towards collecting those that shoot back should be granted a certain dispensation, in terms of headspacing. Reliable chambering and extraction should trump precision just a skosh, perhaps ?

A dedicated competition rifle on the other hand should have it's rim recces depth determined by the average aggregate rim thickness of the brass chosen, and THIS should be determined before the chamber is cut. Given that one will be buying the stuff by the HUNDREDS, it's never a bad idea to order in a hundred extra, sit down with a Mic, and discard those cases with overly thick, or thin rims. SAAMI specs are all OVER the place when it comes to our old "Obsolete" cartridges, and some of the headspace callouts seen on recent ( say the last 60 years) drawings are just stupid sloppy.
Good uniform rim thickness dims give us an unparalleled "Accuracy Edge" that is just not available with rimless cartridges, and it's a shame not to take full advantage of that.
That said, I must sadly state that overly deep rim reccesses abound, and that some of the sloppier "High end of SAAMI specs" examples were cut in Italy.

B.) An important nail was hit squarely and hard when you stated that internal case cleanliness will go a long way towards slaying the stretching bug-bear, as WELL as pulling SDs and ES's into a tighter band......BDDT.

Thank you for your continued contributions to the compendium of BP lore, Amigo !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good stuff there, thanks.

D

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks guys. There're a few typos and the grammar could certainly be improved on but it gets the information across.

I believe I'm finally starting to get a handle on the BPCR thing, at least when it comes to shooting "greasers". Maybe one of these days I'll start playing around with paper patch. Boy, was I naive when I started into BPCR in ‘96. The many, many years of prior smokeless loading/shooting and preconceived assumptions may have done more harm than good.

Wayne

Last edited by texasmac; 05/21/15.

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,133
Posts18,464,687
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.