-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking to find a good kit or pieces to build a sidelock. I don't like the brass fixtures but I do like the browned or tarnished looking stuff. The primary purpose will be hunting so I'm looking at a .50 or .54. I' also probably prefer to shoot patched round balls, but I'm not against anything else as long as it's not really modern. Where would you guys start, or where would you look? I'm not new to shooting them, but I am to building them.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cost can go mild to wild. Anywhere from a Lyman kit or a custom kit. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Category.aspx/588 will get you started, that is just the tip of the iceberg if you do some research.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've looked at Track of the Wolf and liked several of their kits. I guess I'll have to get back on and see what's up with them.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If you want to hunt with round balls go with the .54 caliber. Lots of advantages over the .50.

My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Another place to look is Dixie...(Link)... Dixie Gun Works Longarms / Kits

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'd recommend this one. No brass. Nice lines.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/10260

My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've looked at those but that's the cheapest price I've seen for them. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think you can do better than a Lyman GPR without going up into the custom price range.

It's a reliable, good shooting rifle that is a close representation of a traditional plains / Hawken type rifle.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've built several rifles with components from Pecatonica River Longrifle supply. I think they make stocks for some of the other outfits offering components.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Flintlocks.com

Good stuff. Order the building video first. It's a nice overview of how component sets in general come together and will give you a good idea if this is something you want to do. Also do a YouTube search for flintlocks and whitetails. You may get hooked.

Last edited by pabucktail; 05/27/15.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Since the rifle is going to dictate the parts you need , its hard to recommend where to go to get parts , without knowing what it is your building

First I would get a good building book . Either recreating the American long rifle or Grenwrich County . eather will lead you through what you need to know to build eather a rifle or smooth bore . IE while parts may change , the steps and process doesnt .
The later having far more photos and drawings .

Next if you can , look for someone with experience , near you who will take you on and help you with the build
Then I would set down an start looking at what it is your wanting to build . IE will it be ½ stock , full stock , flintlock , cap lock , snaphaunce, fuse …..
Then decide on a stile . Will it be a later plains rifle or an earlier sporting rifle . If its to be a long rifle , what school , then what maker ………
Once you have all that down , then you can go looking for parts . Frankly there are countless venders to chose from . Some only specialize in specific parts . Others like ToW , Pecatonica River , muzzleloader Builder supply , TRS, or the muzzle loading Emporium mainly carry the more popular basic parts and castings .

Last edited by captchee; 05/27/15.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Also , Dont be afraid to draw outside the lines . In other words , make what you like .
here is a rifle i recently finished . I started with a Haines then added what the customer wanted . IE . Silver mounted , wire work , carving , engraving , 54 cal barrel , double set triggers , gold lined pan ,,,,,,,,
the sky really is the limit . but you have to have basic knowklage so as to start .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/captchee/Rifles/DSC01153_zpsph3jkgxm.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/captchee/Rifles/DSC01165_zpstlde3jss.jpg[/img]

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
This thread diserves a bump. Captchee, your work is amazing. Now THAT is talent!

Buy once, cry once.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
and I will second that,Cap you are a master.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Beautiful rifle!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Years ago I built a Tennessee long rifle from a Dixie kit.
It turned out really well, percussion lock that I had to inlet, .50, designed for patched round ball.

This is a beautiful rifle and accurate. I killed 3 deer with it.
Sadly Dixie no longer makes this kit.

I have no reservations about taking the biggest whitetail with this rifle but, as someone said, whatever the .50 will do, the .54 will do better.

Good luck!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
I'm looking to find a good kit or pieces to build a sidelock. I don't like the brass fixtures but I do like the browned or tarnished looking stuff. The primary purpose will be hunting so I'm looking at a .50 or .54. I' also probably prefer to shoot patched round balls, but I'm not against anything else as long as it's not really modern. Where would you guys start, or where would you look? I'm not new to shooting them, but I am to building them.

Mike Adcock, Doddridge Arkansas, he built me a 58 cal Hawken rifle that's a shooting sombuck, a wonderful old school Hawken Rifle with no flash and glitz, the rifle looks like it's 150 years old.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Anything from a .40 to a .69 roundball will kill a deer- it's all about shot placement no matter the diameter of the ball anyway. If bigger critters were on the menu, well, I might leave the .40 and .45 out.

As for shiny brass furniture on the gun (the wood isn't the "furniture" - it's the wood), don't sweat it. After it's together, either swab the shiny stuff with the first patch that comes out of the dirty barrel when cleaning it (to artificially age/darken it), or just use it for a while and it'll dull on its own and soon take on a soft patina.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/28/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

617 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,094 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,425
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.