-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
if the folks that make these cartridge decisions had necked down the .375 Ruger to .338 and .300 there might have been a better recception....essentially achieving .300 Weatherby performance from a standard action length.....something many Mauser owners would appreciate....but then, let's face it folks.....these cartridges aren't heads and tails over the .300 and .338 Win mags either.....that said, I'm not sure that the shooting clan values the short action as much as Ruger thinks they do....either way, the gains are not truly significant....but marginal at best.....

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The more I see, the more I revert to and respect standard cartridges which have the most honest of track records and, over the longest times.
John
PS: I am have an action re-barreled to 280AI which contradicts the above only until the barrel comes off. I like to think of it as open mindedness which ultimately, tends to reaffirm the first sentence.
JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think a lot of you guys are being overly critical of Ruger and the 300 RCM in particular.

The 300 RCM is nearly as capable and versatile as the 308 or 30-06, and will perform almost as well as those two.

Except for the minor inconvenience that there is generally no ammo and no brass available it's a GREAT round!

So stop being so critical!

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Where's the 325WSM in this mess? Thought it was pretty popular for awhile, haven't heard squat for a couple of years or more. Actually, I've never even seen one.

They are being re-barreled to 7WSM...I can't argue with that.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by TopCat
I think a lot of you guys are being overly critical of Ruger and the 300 RCM in particular.

The 300 RCM is nearly as capable and versatile as the 308 or 30-06, and will perform almost as well as those two.

Except for the minor inconvenience that there is generally no ammo and no brass available for it's a GREAT round!

So stop being so critical.

Satire.....clever.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B2

Z
Z
Brass has been available for some time now. Midway has it, Wholesale Hunter has it Graf has it. Plenty to go around.

Last edited by zonzin; 01/16/15.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by TopCat

Except for the minor inconvenience that there is generally no ammo and no brass available it's a GREAT round!

So stop being so critical!

Not to critize, but thre ain't no rifles either.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Companies cut the losers loose pretty quick thse days.

Was in a LGS the other day and saw an Icon with a really striking walnut stock. Asked the counter guy what it was and he said, ".30TC".

Oh well.....

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You can't kill something that's already dead...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Like the rem 600?

IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
The RCM's are far from dead. No you are not going to find ammo for the RCM at your local Walmart, every sporting good store in my area carries it, plentiful sources are available on the Internet. So all of this BS about not being able to get ammo, is simply that, BS.
The 300 RCM is a great little round,
Extremely effective and accurate out of my full-sized 22 inch barrel Hawkeye.

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
..... And for those of you questioning the future availability of ammunition for the RCM's, I would invite you to call Hornady and speak to their customer service department
Turns out that the 300 and 338 RCM's are favorite pet cartridges of the president of Hornady.

Z
Z
Oh,, and just found Hornady brass, box of 50, on Amazon, no tax free shipping 54$. Picked up some at that price.

Last edited by zonzin; 01/18/15.
Z
Z
Speaking of the M77 Hawkeye .338RCM, adding a detachable mag to it has made this my favorite rifle. CDI Precision made the kit and it is awesome.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by zonzin; 01/18/15.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Sweet set up

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I would not have a hunting rifle like that. With the magazine protruding, how do you carry it at the balance point with one hand?

As for the RCM cartridges, we now have so many cartridges that there are no meaningful gaps to fill. I personally think that almost any new cartridge from now on is guaranteed to be obsolete immediately. I would only buy an "oddball" like the RCMs if I could make brass out of something common like .308 or 30-06.

If double rifles ever became affordable, I could see a rationale for some new rimmed cartridges, but that will never happen.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
zonzin,

I need to ask: Why the detachable magazine? I've tested several hunting rifles with magazines like that, and always wondered what particular advantage they have. Indy mentioned not being able to carry them at the balance point, but I also wonder about a higher-capacity, detachable magazine with the release lever stocking below the bottom of the magazine. Why is this so desirable? Seems to me like something waiting to go wrong.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Z
Z
I went with detachable mags on my rifles because I do not like loading rounds through the top, or unloading by racking the bolt like I had to do on my Rem 700, so much easier to load a mag and slap it in. Also, much quicker to load the rifle with the detachable mag when the need for a quick load arises.
As for the release lever, the one in the pic is a tactical lever, I have since replaced it with a much lower profile lever that eliminates any possibility of inadvertent mag release.
As for carry, in all my years of hunting with this setup, no issues. I rarely carry one handed and just use the scope as a carry handle when I do.
To each his own I guess.

Last edited by zonzin; 01/19/15.
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Graf and Sons are one of the largest dist. of Hornady brass. They only received 36 boxes of 300 RCM brass, and had a two day's supply when I lightened their load, by six boxes. I think this left them with only six more boxes. I've been waiting for a year to buy a supply of these cases. Blink and you lose, forget about snoozing. My left hand Ruger Compact Magnum is on its third extractor claw, and possibly its second bolt body. Now it will extract a fired case, but the glitch with the full magazine jamming is still there.

De-tuning this CRF action to be a push feed may solve the problem. Putting in detachable bottom metal should work also, but at what price? I had to promise to push back my new 6mm Hart barrel, due to buying $300+ worth of cases two days ago.

I've calculated that this little popper has the capacity of a 30 Gibbs wildcat. I also calculated that putting the barrel into a standard length action would solve the CRF jamming problems. These cases work O.K. out of three test bed Mauser M-98's.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The contraption similar to the above is what keeps me away from the otherwise delightful CZ 527. They claim to make a semi flush model M-1, but try to find one in the spotter weight configuration.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

365 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 264mag, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 39 invisible), 1,681 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,354
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.