Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Several Fire fellas have helped me get to this point and I greatly appreciate all the help.

Swaro Z3 3-9x36 with Talley Low Extended Reversible's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by local_dirt; 05/22/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Geez what a great setup...enjoy!

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, Randy. Will do!

The standard Talley Low's weren't getting the scope back far enough for these 60+ old eyes. The Extended Reversible's dialed it right in.
Keeping the Standard Low's, though. Just in case I ever need them to swap out scopes on other rifles.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Pretty rifle and pretty stock! I think a red pad without the white line would be even prettier, but that's just me.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, that is wonderful outfit with excellent optical sight of right weight and size. Just about perfect.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Looks very good. Did you consider using the extra-lows?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Bingo, What a nice rig! If you miss now you can blame yourself! very best winpoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks great! I'll bet you are going to love the glass on that one. I know I like mine...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Can the rear ring be turned to allow support of the scope further back?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Jack, I considered the extra-low's, but didn't see where they made them in the extended version. I needed the extended version to move the scope back farther. As it is, the extended low's are just about as low as I can go. (See picture below).

[Linked Image]

This is all new to me, as I am more in my comfort zone with Leupold's. They are, of course, longer than the Z3 so I've had to learn as I go and try different things to get everything right. It's been fun!.. with a little frustration here and there. Still, there are a lot of other things I'd prefer doing this over. smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Bingo, What a nice rig! If you miss now you can blame yourself! very best winpoor

Thanks, WP! Nothing and nobody to blame but me, now! smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed, Yes. You could do that. That's the beauty of the extended's. They're reversible. I tried the rear the other way, but I ended up having to scoot the scope back forward an 1/8" to get the clearance in the post above.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for all the kudos, fellas. It's been a lot of fun working on this old girl.
I hand rubbed the stock out at least 15 times. Got a little more honest wear woods grime out of it each time I did it.
Also took some Lemon Pledge and a tooth brush and cleaned all the checkering back out.

I'm real happy with the way she came out.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by EdM

Good eye!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
LD, Excellent job! It don't get much mo' betta than that.
Enjoy.

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Can't use extra lows with bolt gun like Model 70 because double lug bolt design necessitates high bolt rise. In bolt guns extra lows work better with three lug bolt design or strait pull action design. I wait and buy rifles through local gun shop. That way people there will mount and bore sight rifle for free. Having experience they understand scope tube length and objective tube diameter vs eye positioning vs ring type needed so there are no surprises when one aims with the rig and tries to work the bolt.

As sharp eyed poster pointed out that scope is mounted too far forward with no
tube left for backward movement to spare.

Last edited by Slavek; 05/23/15.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Several Fire fellas have helped me get to this point and I greatly appreciate all the help.

Swaro Z3 3-9x36 with Talley Low Extended Reversible's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LD, I love the rifle and scope but it's obvious you like your scope back a lot further than both myself and handwerk. Here's a picture of handwerks rifle that is damn near identical to yours, but with the same mounts as I run on my model 70's. Appear to be talley lightweight lows (Non extended 930702):
[Linked Image]

I'm running lows (non extended) on my 338 win mag with the same scope as you guys are running:
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0143_zps883c9341.jpg[/img]

Looks like you need a longer eye relief scope, like a Leupold on your rifle, since your scope is back so far. Someone else's suggestion on the leupy 2.5-8x36 was a good one...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BSA you ever find out who made that barrel that's on your 338?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No, but I found out it shoots pretty good laugh

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Slavek

Can't use extra lows with bolt gun like Model 70 because double lug bolt design necessitates high bolt rise. In bolt guns extra lows work better with three lug bolt design or strait pull action design.

It is true that three lug and straight pull bolts never have this issue, but not all double lug bolt guns have an issue. The Pre '64 M70s do, but on the Post '64 rifles and the Classics, you can usually mount the scope as low as most objectives allow.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
gundoc, this is how most of my pre 64's are scoped and the clearance at the obj. bell:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This may just be me, but I like keeping them as close to the barrel as possible so I can keep a good solid cheek weld. I may be in the minority here though..

I also run my classic the same way...:
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
BSA, thanks for the pics. I can see you like your scopes a bit forward from where I've got this one.

I downloaded pics of hardwerk's and his son's gun and examined them blown up in high-def and exactly where I have the scope at right now is nearly identical to those 2 rifles.

I did take it outside tonight, checking out the view through the scope. Eye relief is just about perfect, and that glass.. Zoomed in on a stop sign ~ 150 yds away. To say I was all smiles would be an understatement. If I can scoot the scope forward a smidge, I will, if for no other reason than to gain a little more clearance on the forward mount.

I've been up to my azz in alligators after my truck broke down on the way to work Saturday. My buddy and I looked at it with his Actron, but couldn't definitively i.d. the problem, but we picked up some codes for the shop to work with. With the holiday weekend, was finally able to get it into a decent shop here close to my house this evening after work.

After some schitball trying to steal my Harley the week before, I'd have to say when it rains, it pours. Azzhole couldn't get it started, so just dumped it in my swale, putting the first fair sized scratch it's ever had in the front fender. About 1 1/2". I've owned that bike for going on 19 yrs since new. I was feeling pretty damn ornery that day.

Thanking God daily that I got it back in one piece, and also that I didn't catch the scumbag in the process, 'cause he'd have been a dead thief and I'd be up to my eye sockets in legal problems.

Last edited by local_dirt; 05/26/15.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA, thanks for the pics. I can see you like your scopes a bit forward from where I've got this one.

I downloaded pics of hardwerk's and his son's gun and examined them blown up in high-def and exactly where I have the scope at right now is nearly identical to those 2 rifles.

I did take it outside tonight, checking out the view through the scope. Eye relief is just about perfect, and that glass.. Zoomed in on a stop sign ~ 150 yds away. To say I was all smiles would be an understatement. If I can scoot the scope forward a smidge, I will, if for no other reason than to gain a little more clearance on the forward mount.

I've been up to my azz in alligators after my truck broke down on the way to work Saturday. My buddy and I looked at it with his Actron, but couldn't definitively i.d. the problem, but we picked up some codes for the shop to work with. With the holiday weekend, was finally able to get it into a decent shop here close to my house this evening after work.

After some schitball trying to steal my Harley the week before, I'd have to say when it rains, it pours. Azzhole couldn't get it started, so just dumped it in my swale, putting the first fair sized scratch it's ever had in the front fender. About 1 1/2". I've owned that bike for going on 19 yrs since new. I was feeling pretty damn ornery that day.

Thanking God daily that I got it back in one piece, and also that I didn't catch the scumbag in the process, 'cause he'd have been a dead thief and I'd be up to my eye sockets in legal problems.

local dirt. I hear you man. When it rains it pours then it blizzards on my azz!!!!! Just gods tests on us to see if we loose faith. I can tell you all kinds of things about my car trouble lately and the refrigerator, microwave, oven, clothes washer all going tits up in the last month!!! I really pizzed someone off blush. 2004 GMC has a new rebuilt transfer case by yours truly, and wife's suburban is back on the road again after some misfire conditions it was having. Scan tools work great if you have a mind to use them. Hope you get yours figured out my friend.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
BSA, thanks for encouragement. Sounds like you've been having your fun lately, too.
The shop near my house has a very good reputation for being honest and not gouging their customers. I'm going to have to agree with that. Long story short, catalytic converter was toast and causing other problems up the food chain. Shop guys got it figured out pretty quick. I just couldn't get to them fast enough to give them the go-ahead, since I went to work last night about the time they were closing.
Spoke with the owner this morning. OEM catalytic converter is double after market price I found online last night when I got home, $575. He said I could go aftermarket, if I wanted, but it has to be welded in and I'd probably be revisiting it again in a year of so. Will also need both front and rear O2 sensors, and the throttle body cleaned. They're charging me $65 for the troubleshoot and another $170 total for all other labor. I thought that was fair enough.
Gotta love the drive by wire's and pollution control systems. smile

Last edited by local_dirt; 05/28/15.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I also went with the Talley lightweights on my Cabela's FN 7mm Mauser supergrade. These are a set of left-over gloss-finished lows that Talley still had around (made for Browning and Winchester). They match the 20 year-old Leupold 3-9X perfectly, and are much lower than the low Talley steels. I think I have the correct set up now for this one, after 2 different sets of mounts and 3 scopes.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 05/31/15.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That looks great Bob. You used to have a Minox on that one didn't you?

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That looks great Bob. You used to have a Minox on that one didn't you?

3-9X Meopta. Beautiful optics, but somewhat big and clumsy looking on the little 22" featherweight. I think this combo is "right". And there's nothing wrong with a Leupold.
Bob

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks great Bob... Now let's see how that baby shoots!!!! grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RGK
I also went with the Talley lightweights on my Cabela's FN 7mm Mauser supergrade. These are a set of left-over gloss-finished lows that Talley still had around (made for Browning and Winchester). They match the 20 year-old Leupold 3-9X perfectly, and are much lower than the low Talley steels. I think I have the correct set up now for this one, after 2 different sets of mounts and 3 scopes.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Bob, that is one purdy Supergrade and looks real nice with the 20 yr old Leupold. And.. you're right, (mounts) they're lower than the steel low's. How old are they?? I think they may be lower than my newer low lightweights.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

[Linked Image]

Bob, that is one purdy Supergrade and looks real nice with the 20 yr old Leupold. And.. you're right, (mounts) they're lower than the steel low's. How old are they?? I think they may be lower than my newer low lightweights.

These are brand-new Talley lightweight lows, made for Winchester to sell with new M70s as a package. They're gloss-finished and in regular, low height. Talley offered them to me because they had a few sets left over when I mentioned I had a gloss-finished 70. My Leupold has a 40mm objective. Here's a better picture showing the barrel-scope gap and how low the scope is. Mucho better (and lower) than the 6x36mm and Talley steel lows.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 06/03/15.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You hit the wood lottery on that one. My BIL has the same rifle, but with walnut not quite so nice. Kudos.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
224 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.