Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Looking for a nice pair of binoculars in the 8x32 to 9x36 range at the best price point. Currently my primary binos are 10x40 Leicas on one end and the other end is a pair of Leupold 6x30 Yosemites.

There are so many options it is hard to decide and not easy to do a first hand comparison. Minox, Pentax, Redfield, ZenRay, Nikon and many others have good offerings in this range. Not sure how much I want to spend but thinking of under $500 preferably $2-300 and I am not opposed to used or demo glass.

Don't want another pair of Alpha bino's so don't say just get the Swaro's.

The primary use will be as a backup pair of binoculars for hunting and for birding.

It would be easy to just get the 8x Yosemite but I don't think they are as good as the 6x.

Any solid input would be appreciated.

David

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Pentax DCF 8x32 come to mind.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
On my list for sure. But then tempted by the HD/ED? version.

Why is it buying a pair of bino's is like going to a massage parlor
with this or that upgrade running the cost over a grand.

Not that I have have ever experienced this.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Maybe nobody has ever heard of these, but at $500, the dead bang choice is a Maven B 3 8x30. I have had one of these for a few days now and I'm impressed, to say the least. Very well built with a thorough the glass light transmission of 95% (which I see no reason to doubt...the brightest 30 mm glass I've seen) if what you are looking at can be seen with any 8x30 glass, you will see it with these. Light, they check in at 18 oz with all covers and a Rick Young harness. Wide field with ED glass and repellent coatings.

Maven is a pretty new outfit in Lander Wyoming, http://mavenbuilt.com/

They have the binoculars built by Kamakura in Japan. Every unit is inspected before it is shipped. I have the big B2 and the compact B3 and as I said, I'm beyond impressed.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tejano

It would be easy to just get the 8x Yosemite but I don't think they are as good as the 6x.

David,
You are indeed correct there, it's not.

Don't overlook the Theron Wapiti LT 8x32. I use it like you're wanting to use it but must warn you, you'll use it more than you think. smile

Just a bit more money than the Yosemite but I'd take it over comparable price point Nikon or Redfield.

http://theronoptics.com/WAPITI_LT_BINOCULARS.html

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Why not buy another alpha and scrap the 6x? I bought zeiss victory 8x32 (used for about $1000) a couple years ago and have no use for anything smaller

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty subjective really. And, it all depends where/how you hunt.

I'd never be without a 6x. The bottom right bino gets used more than any of the others.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My favourite general purpose binocular is a Vortex Viper 6x32 as well. I use that more than anything else and it especially makes a difference when I am winded and not at my steadiest.

One option that I think is worth considering is Zen-Ray ED2 7x36. These are a little bigger than typical 32mm binoculars, but I liked them quite a bit. I have seen some more recent versions and flare control on those seems better than on the originals.

With 8x30 bionculars, I have not tested too many of the models in the $300 to $600 range recently, and I definitely have not seen the Maven B (I probably should). My recent experience with most 8x32 binoculars is largely in the Meopta Meostar to Leica Ultravid range and that is a lot more money.

I did glance very quickly at someone else's Celestron Granite ED 7x33 and was sufficiently impressed with it to add it to my "need to do a thorough test" list. For $300 or thereabouts that they go for, they look like a steal.

ILya

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks all.

Now even more overwhelmed by choices. Maven looks interesting as well as the Zen Ray. With the Theron I could get back ups to my back up binos.

Whats the verdict on the Ziess Terra? Some reviews are enthusiastic others not.

For still hunting or any walking use the 6 & 7x make a lot of sense. The 7x35 used to be the standard for hunting at least woods hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd look at Minox from Cameraland. I have 2 pairs - one is 8x33 BR ASPH and the other is 10x43 BR ASPH. I think they have been replaced by German BL series but either can be had for around $500. I'd also do a search on fleabay. I use the 8x33 90% of the time.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've been impressed with some Leupold,Vanguard and other reasonably priced binoculars in the last year. They certainly are a lot of glass for the money.

I really liked my Zeiss Terra 10x42's and think to my eyes they were the best buy carried at Cabela's in the last couple of years. When my granddaughter looked through them after a set of Pentax DCF's that were about 10 years old she said "wow these are really nice much brighter" and it was nice to hear confirmation from younger better eyes.

My son in law has them now and loves them. I upgraded to Swarovski and he couldn't wait to get the Terras. I think you will need to look at several sets to make the best decision for you but I'm not sure there are too many bad choices in the group discussed. It is confusing as heck and nobody wants to drop $500 if something 1/2 that price is better for your eyes. If I can get a competitive price and the same model I buy from Cameraland to get their backing on optics.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The Vanguard Endeavor will surprise you how good it is.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
To respond to your direct inquiry, You said between 8x30 and 10x40 and from $200- $300.

If sold on roofs I would think something like an 8x36 Vanguard Spirit ED might fit the bill nicely. I found a GREAT deal on them for $209. That is a good bit cheaper than elsewhere. Sounds like a good fir for what you describe.

Aside, let me chime in as most others have for something just outside your intended post.
My first thought was that this seems to be another situation where a good 7x35 might really fit the bill if given the chance. Wish more were made at this size as I find them so perfectly utilitarian. Nikon makes Action Extreme porros that are dang good for the price. Under $150 some places I have tried roofs and just can't get past the better view, brighter image and cheaper price of porro's even if I may have to sacrifice a little bit of shape or weight or brand bragging rights. I would almost challenge you to buy the Nikon 7x35 for a truck pair of bino's. I am betting you would start comparing them....then taking them more and more.

Let us know what you end up deciding and how, honestly, happy you are with them.

Tejano - I wrote my post before reading your 7x35 comments. Seems like we agree. I thought of the Zen Rays as well but could not find them under $300.

Last edited by kenjs1; 05/23/15.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Some very good advice. I almost hate to tell what I ended up doing. After trying to make an informed choice without the benefit of first hand trials I went on a whim. This doesn't work I know.

Bought a cute pair of Zeiss Terras for my wife because they were blue. I also found out an old pair of Pentax's I have are still under full warranty and they will upgrade the replacement to at least the DCF level. I will ask if for an up charge they can go to the DCF SP level or their newer replacement.

So the immediate itch is filled and in the meantime I will try to get to field trial the mid and upper level glass while keeping an eye out for good used older bino's.

I think with the proliferation of good binoculars on the market now more people will be trading in for newer products.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Very true. Heard good things on the Terra bins- more so than the Terra scopes. And hey, they are blue- right? :-)

I got a kick out of that Tejano. You are perhaps the most honest man this forum has ever seen! Enjoy the new glass amigo. FWIW I think you did fine. Scratched the itch for new while doing the effective upgrade on the Pentax. Two birds, one stone -plus happy wife. Hard to argue with any of that.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I use Steiner 8x30 safari and military marine binocs. I have a set of each. No the glass isn't spectacular but I love the fixed focus and fov is very generous making them easy to glass with for long periods of time.

I also use a vortex solo rt monocular. I think it's 8x36 and has a range finding reticle with silhouettes for various ranges. The 37" height silhouette can be applied to big game if you study their physical characteristics. This thing is probably one of the handiest optics I have.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 49 invisible), 1,990 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,723
Posts18,457,308
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.