Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 63 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 62 63
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lets put em in a mini14 group all alone for score/size parts... that should make it more even.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could give mine a whirl...assuming I can find all the parts for it blush

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I just wish more people would shoot.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I just barely beat a thunderstorm so my pictures are not ideal but I got the minimum to get this done. I'm going to re-shoot the challenge with irons tomorrow and I'll update the pictures.

1) Picture of rifle and setup (no pic of setup due to race to beat the rain but I shot prone at the firing line off bipod with Red Tac 1/2Pint rear bag):
[Linked Image]

2) Picture of 100 yard range (this picture is old, the berms are now on the left side but I will take a new pic tomorrow when I shoot the iron sight group):
[Linked Image]

3) Picture of target (optics) or targets (irons) with 20 rounds through them. (place calipers or ruler laying over one group for reference): I shot the target on the right first, the target on the left second
[Linked Image]

4) Description of rifle and ammo used.
Rifle: Barnes Precision BPM-15 with new BP 18" mid to replace the 16" I wore out. I took the A2 hider off of it and installed a BE Myers hider I had on my bench. Only other mod from stock is the Geissele SSA trigger.

Optic: Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50mm G2 in LaRue mount that one of my guys bought recently and I have for testing right now

Bipod: Atlas

Ammo: I had 44 rounds of 69gn Nosler CC loaded over 24gn RL15 in Federal brass, lit by CCI BR-4. These were rounds I had left over from the first barrel I had on this gun. Never shot them before today in this barrel. They hit just low and left of where the 77gn bullets it's zeroed for hit. I will use the last 24 to zero the irons on the gun and shoot the iron sight target with a sling.

5) For optics, list your group sizes and the average. For Iron sights, please list the group size and score:

Group 1: .820" or .783 MOA
Group 2: .895 or .854 MOA
Average: .858" or .819 MOA

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by TWR
I just wish more people would shoot.

I'll be shooting at least two more sets of targets.
One going from a 7 power to a 20 power, and one with iron sights which should be interesting.
I just had cataract surgery in both eyes !!

Right now the wind has been 10 to 20 mph for days.
Can't even get out fishing on Lake Erie frown

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm gonna shoot irons too but I'm in Oklahoma and we're getting flooded again. Lake Texhoma is gonna go over the spillway this weekend in spite of them releasing water. I was at Eufaula Lake dam yesterday watching the water being released from the locks and the water is still 15' above normal.

We've had over 14" of rain this month and more in other places.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I broke out the Ruger Mini 14 today and mounted a new scope on it. While sighting the rifle in I had one two shot group that measured less than .5 inches and a three shot group that measured 5/8 inch. I was feeling good. I then hung the official targets and shot the first three shots of my official, for the record, ten shot group from a Mini 14. First three shots of the ten were slightly less than 4 inches. I thought I would save the rest of that ammo for my AR and remove the scope from the Ruger. My brother reminded me that they were designed to be like a M1 Carbine not like an AR. They sure are handy.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL, thats why 3-5 shot groups, unless you have multiples, don't tell you much...

I have a .334 5 shot group from a friends 338 wind mag. Its a fluke, though the gun is generally a reliable MOA rifle... and I have a kill with it at 802 yards...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
PS, how is a mini 14 more handy than an AR....?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't really know how to explain it. It is kind of like the difference in rabbit hunting all day with a recurve bow and a compound. Compound just isn't fun to carry. That doesn't even speak to the fact that both of my AR's are heavier than my Garand.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find the height of the AR action and the high comb of the AR to be ungainly. The mini handles more like a traditional firearm.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I guess I'm so used to them, I can't find a difference.

I think I could have at one time, shot an AR in my sleep. My bolt guns felt funny.

Of course the M1A always felt nice.

RE weight, thats all in the build, you can get em pretty light.

The high comb, is nothing, as long as the stock and sights all match, at least to me anyway.

Interesting input as to how we all see things though.

off to cut firewood.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 348srfun
That doesn't even speak to the fact that both of my AR's are heavier than my Garand.

That's easy to fix. Just put a light weight barrel on one of them.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I find the height of the AR action and the high comb of the AR to be ungainly. The mini handles more like a traditional firearm.

I gotta say that I much prefer the pistol grip and mag release on the AR platform over those of the mini, though.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an 18 inch barrel on one of them. Everything else is probably making it heavy. It is probably just me and the fact that I like classic guns. A 9 pound bolt action is not heavy to me but a nine pound AR is. Scott, I am just the opposite. I like the location of the Mini 14 Mag release and really like the location of the safety. The pistol grip on the AR and I don't get along. We just tolerate each other.

This was posted by 348srfun on my brother's computer

Last edited by Mathsr; 05/23/15. Reason: correcting posting error

Harry
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for the Mini 14 side track. All you AR guys, carry on. Lets see some more of those MOA groups. I'm going to turn in some Iron sight targets soon as I learn to shoot again. I'd shoot my Beowulf but it is too expensive to shoot more than 3 shot groups.

Harry
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Why ten rounds? Statistical relevancy.

Unless you are stacking every 3 shot group on the same target, those three shots tell you basically nothing. You can shoot 3-5 three shot groups on the same target but it won't look any different than a single 10 shot group. 10 shots aren't even enough.

If a person can't press the trigger 10 times without having a seizure, than he probably doesn't have a clue what his rifle can do.

For a forum dedicated to shooting..... People sure do try to find an excuse not to.

laugh ... We found that out in the Carl Ross postal shoot. Didn't we? wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What did I miss? LOL.

In the day I did every postal I ran across as we shot a lot.

These days I doubt I shoot 30 shots a year, maybe less. A lot of difference there. In the day we shot over 10,000 a year of just 223.... not counting cross training other rounds.

RE pistol grip, ya know they make a few different ones.... and the difference between pistol and mini is difference between a high and low elbow position, trying to shoot an AR with a high elbow doesn't work, shooting a mini or M1A with low doesn't work eitehr. IE very well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why ten rounds? Statistical relevancy.

No, 10 shots is not a statistically relevant or valid sample; you would need a 30 shot sample, or a series of 10 shot samples combined into one group, to be a statistically valid sample & to be statistically representative of the variability of the system; in this case, the system is the gun, the ammo, the sights & the shooter & I guess you could throw in the weather/wind, especially with a 22 caliber.

IMO, there should be a class for the 22's & another class for anything larger.

For a forum dedicated to shooting..... People sure do try to find an excuse not to.

I'll eventually get around to shooting.......have 3 guns & will shoot at least 2. There's no time limit on this that I know of.

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The 'excuses' are life. Some have time, some make time, some don't.

For me, I'm more dedicated to the fire/ems pager to help folks out, than I am to shooting a postal or other match at this point in my life. Its my time of life to give back.

Others are in stages like we used to be in, shoot almost every other day if not more often regardless unless weather...

otehrs are in other parts of life, kids, family, building houses, careers etc...

Would be lovely if in a every 24 hours God said, this one particular hour is for shooting, and nothing else.

Page 10 of 63 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,968 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.