Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Well of course, I've got some .270 fwts as well....and yes Vern you'll likely see this one next year in alaska in person.
Thanks for the compliments folks.

BP-B6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a fine looking Winchester!

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Randy,
That is a nice looking all around rifle!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A+ on a very well put together rifle. I see you've been taking notes and it all came together very well. What can you not do with a rifle like that??? I like it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by handwerk
This rifle has been a spare, good shooting mid 50's 30'06 FWT sitting around in it's factory stock and I decided to dress it up like one I put together for my son as a no nonsense all all-rounder.
I sent the factory barreled action off to Eddie Fosnaugh for his great cerakoting work (graphite black) I then bedded it in a mcm edge compact, topped it with talley lwts and a swaro Z3 3-9x36. As shown it comes in at 7 lbs. 4.9 oz. and is about as light as I like a rifle. With 168 TTSX's it will pretty consistently shoot 3/4" groups. A new spin on an old classic.
[Linked Image]

The pre-64 'Featherweight' Model 70 like 12ga 26" 1/4 choke Model 12 'Featherweight' is almost impossible to best for its intended use, even by modern standards. There are just couple of rifles of that period that can meet and match challenge of the pre-64 Model 70 'Featherweight'.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hey good looking modification there Randy, even though the rifle wasn't sitting on a fence post.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been thinking about doing very similar path with a .270 pre64 FW. The results look great.

Lou

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Awfully useful rifle there Randy.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Randy, that is one sweet setup. Don't be surprised if my .270 Standard shows up here one day looking a lot like your 30'06 there and BSA's .270. smile

Last edited by local_dirt; 05/23/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
That's about the perfect rig but I'll take mine with a rust blue instead of ceracote. I've not been impressed as far as showing minor scuffs etc.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Horseman
That's about the perfect rig but I'll take mine with a rust blue instead of ceracote. I've not been impressed as far as showing minor scuffs etc.

I've had pretty good luck with cerakote. It's been damn tough and weatherizes better than any bluing I've seen. I like his rifle and I've done the same thing with my built pre 64 338 win mag. Randy's rifle is done right as far as I'm concerned. I'd hunt that one with no problem. With a rifle like that, one really doesn't need anything else. Perfect chambering for NA and damn well designed stock. Almost a perfect match from my experience with my 270 win that is almost it's twin. The more I use these pre 64's, the more I get rid of my other rifles. Just the way I see it...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
BSA I won't deny cerakote has some advantages but the few guns I've got show superficial marks very easily compared to bluing. All H series cerakote and you can leave a shiny line with a thumbnail. I've used blued guns in extreme weather and have never had a rusty gun so cerakotes extra protection is lost on me. To each his own. As of now I'm off the cerakote bandwagon.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well of course, I've got some .270 fwts as well....and yes Vern you'll likely see this one next year in alaska in person.
Thanks for the compliments folks.

Great rifle you have there. What you going to be chasing in Alaska?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA I won't deny cerakote has some advantages but the few guns I've got show superficial marks very easily compared to bluing. All H series cerakote and you can leave a shiny line with a thumbnail. I've used blued guns in extreme weather and have never had a rusty gun so cerakotes extra protection is lost on me. To each his own. As of now I'm off the cerakote bandwagon.

Strange, the cerakote I have had done is extremely scratch resistant. I'm not saying it won't scratch, but I've drug them thru brush/manzanita etc. with no marks at all. Painted stocks on the other had have had to be touched up. I'm pretty sure if Handwerk had Eddie F. do his, it's extremely well done. Surprised no one else has commented on this.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
BS, the plan is to go after caribou in 2016...thanks

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BS, the plan is to go after caribou in 2016...thanks

Good luck on that hunt my friend. You should be very well prepared with that rifle. Will you be using that 168 TTSX load? Should definitely do the trick. I was looking at my stash of 200gr. partitions today and thinking I should just sell my 9.3x62mm and do a little fine tuning of the rifle collection. I think the 30-06 is really at the top of the heap when it comes to useable cartridges for any game animal I hunt.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Roger that on the 06. It just works. I think we all use other stuff to keep things interesting but there's not much you can't do very well with a 30-06. Every time I come back to it I wonder why I use anything else.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The old Model 70 Featherweight in .30-06, .308 or .358 and standard grade .338 WinMag are the best of the old Wincheter bolt rifle lot. These can compete favorably with modern sporting rifles I'm firmly convinced of that fact.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Roger that on the 06. It just works. I think we all use other stuff to keep things interesting but there's not much you can't do very well with a 30-06. Every time I come back to it I wonder why I use anything else.

Good post. That should be someone's sig line right there. grin

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (12308300, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.