-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have my Dad's 600. I replaced the plastic trigger guard with an aftermarket aluminum one. I free floated the barrel from 1" in front of the lug to the end of the stock, then refinished it. The stock has not been glass or pillar bedded.

I took it out today to shoot. 2 good shots and then 4" a flyer, at only 50 yards. Let it cool down for 5 minutes and repeated that performance except the ~4" flyer was on the 2nd shot instead of the third. That's a long way off when only shooting 50 yards.

What gives? Stubby free floated barrel should not be an issue.
I'm pretty sure the scope is good and the mounts/rings are on solid.

I disassembled it just now to see what I might see. Only thing I noted is that the guard screws were not hardly tight at all. Should I snug them up pretty good? Don't have a in-lb toque driver, will get one if needed.

Thanks for any help.

Glass and pillars are not out of the question if I need to have it done.

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 05/23/15.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Glass and pillars would not hurt . I have had numerous 600s of various calibers. Never seen one which had a action to stock fit that instilled any kind of confidence in the gun.

As for tightening I like to start the screws then tighten the front down good and tight 40 to 50 in pounds if you got the wrench. If not about as tight as you can get them usually is 40 ish on the slotted screws. The rear action screw is rather small and not doing much for seating the action which is why I snug the front down first. The rear screw just til it is tight all it really does is hold the trigger guard in place.

I have a 243 600 which I restocked in a brown precision stock. Bedded it tight with a front pillar free floated the barrel. I run the front screw at 50 in pounds rear just tight. Gun shoots from real good to holy chit good.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Glass and pillars would not hurt . I have had numerous 600s of various calibers. Never seen one which had a action to stock fit that instilled any kind of confidence in the gun.

As for tightening I like to start the screws then tighten the front down good and tight 40 to 50 in pounds if you got the wrench. If not about as tight as you can get them usually is 40 ish on the slotted screws. The rear action screw is rather small and not doing much for seating the action which is why I snug the front down first. The rear screw just til it is tight all it really does is hold the trigger guard in place.

I have a 243 600 which I restocked in a brown precision stock. Bedded it tight with a front pillar free floated the barrel. I run the front screw at 50 in pounds rear just tight. Gun shoots from real good to holy chit good.

Great info! Thank you, sir.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Finally got it done:
1. The screws were not even snug!
2. Bought a FAT wrench so I could accurately torque.
3. Tightened the front to 40 in-lb.
4. Tightened the rear action screw to 30.

At 50 yards: 1", 3-shot groups for 3 groups. Problem solved!

However, now I have another problem. New problem, new post over in the reloading forum.

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 06/14/15.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Friend had similar issues with a M600 a few years ago, in his situation the mag box was not in the correct position and was 'binding'....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer

Finally got it done:
1. The screws were not even snug!
2. Bought a FAT wrench so I could accurately torque.
3. Tightened the front to 40 in-lb.
4. Tightened the rear action screw to 30.

At 50 yards: 1", 3-shot groups for 3 groups. Problem solved!

However, now I have another problem. New problem, new post over in the reloading forum.

Good to hear, now that you have things consistent you can start trying to tweak things. Hopefully things will get better.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,774
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.