Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I am a dedicated Lefty and I know what I like and why. My options are not nearly what they are for a right hander.

But my formerly welpy 15 yr old son, has turned into a freshman varsity letter winner in Wrestling and isn't a "kid" any longer. I am a rifle loony and set him up with a really great Remington Model 7 in .260 Remington. Came with two stocks and he is already dwarfing the B/C "Adult" stock.

He is a very good student of the rifle and has shot well since 7.

I am considering getting him one more rifle. And I would like it to be in 300 WSM. A 7mm Rem Mag would also be another consideration.

But a "Do-All" type knock around rifle for him to carry on into his late teens and early adulthood. I have extensive loading tools and data for the 300 WSM, and really like the cartridge.

The Winchester 70 Classic Stainless is MY grail of sorts, but they never offered them to lefties in stainless/synthetic. They pop up at times on here and GB. I like the safety, the CRF, and the 3.0" mag length. I am not sure how they shoot in General.

Remington has offered various models of the 700 chambered in 300 WSM also. I've heard little, to nothing about anyone shooting them(specifically chambered in 300 WSM that is).

Wondering what the magazine lengths are held to(I assume it's 2.80 or even shorted, as the SA is pretty short). Wonder how the feeding is with any of the WSM cases? Any accuracy issues? I have a few 700s myself and realize there are many many more aftermarket parts and upgrades to the 700. But I am just not sure it's the right action for a Short Mag?

Any users of either?

My 70s have been hit or miss for accuracy. 700s usually shoot pretty damn good regardless. Couple spots of glass on the lug and you're G2G. I did a Wyatt's mag box on one of my LA lefties and had the ADL screw tab milled out. It was a 7mag to 300 Ultra conversion. It still does not feed well and I am hesitant to do another Wyatt's box swap to allow 3.0".

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have owned both, in 300WSM. Both rifles were re-stocked in MPI fiberglass. Of the two, the Remington was by far, easier to get to shoot accurately. The Winnie took a lot of extra work. It would not shoot with a free float. It needed a slight upward pressure pad, but then always threw the 3rd and Fourth shots(even on a cooled down barrel.

The Remington shot sub MOA, with the 2nd load that I tried. I killed a pile of deer with it while I lived in Va.

Both have been sold, and replaced with a 7-08, and a freshly finished 280 Rem.

If I were buying another, I would get a Remington, and not look back. I don't recall the mag lengths on either.

Good luck!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No feeding issues with either rifle, that I had.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
I am a dedicated Lefty and I know what I like and why. My options are not nearly what they are for a right hander.

But my formerly welpy 15 yr old son, has turned into a freshman varsity letter winner in Wrestling and isn't a "kid" any longer. I am a rifle loony and set him up with a really great Remington Model 7 in .260 Remington. Came with two stocks and he is already dwarfing the B/C "Adult" stock.

He is a very good student of the rifle and has shot well since 7.

I am considering getting him one more rifle. And I would like it to be in 300 WSM. A 7mm Rem Mag would also be another consideration.

But a "Do-All" type knock around rifle for him to carry on into his late teens and early adulthood. I have extensive loading tools and data for the 300 WSM, and really like the cartridge.

The Winchester 70 Classic Stainless is MY grail of sorts, but they never offered them to lefties in stainless/synthetic. They pop up at times on here and GB. I like the safety, the CRF, and the 3.0" mag length. I am not sure how they shoot in General.

Remington has offered various models of the 700 chambered in 300 WSM also. I've heard little, to nothing about anyone shooting them(specifically chambered in 300 WSM that is).

Wondering what the magazine lengths are held to(I assume it's 2.80 or even shorted, as the SA is pretty short). Wonder how the feeding is with any of the WSM cases? Any accuracy issues? I have a few 700s myself and realize there are many many more aftermarket parts and upgrades to the 700. But I am just not sure it's the right action for a Short Mag?

Any users of either?

My 70s have been hit or miss for accuracy. 700s usually shoot pretty damn good regardless. Couple spots of glass on the lug and you're G2G. I did a Wyatt's mag box on one of my LA lefties and had the ADL screw tab milled out. It was a 7mag to 300 Ultra conversion. It still does not feed well and I am hesitant to do another Wyatt's box swap to allow 3.0".

No interest in the good ol 30-06?? My input on the 300 wsm only applies to the Winchester model 70's I've owned. Excellent shooters (MOA or less for 5 shots), no feeding problems, but 3 rounds total is it. No 3 down 1 up, just 3 rounds total. I ended up getting rid of my wizzums and just keeping the good ol 06's around. Less fuss and no muss so to speak...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Kimber, Tikka?

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Not found a Rem 700 that would feed a 300 wsm as smoothly as a Howa,Vanguard,Model 70, Sako 75 and Abolt.

Sako 75 feeds them so smooth you are not sure they have been fed, Howa and Vanguard,Abolt no slouch , the newer Model 70's feed them very smooth as opposed to the older NH classics.

There has been zero issues with accuracy in any mentioned rifle above, the Sako was crazy accurate. That said why not just buy a 30-06 ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't speak for the Remington 300 WSM(have not owned one) but I will say that the Winchester 70 300 WSM I had didn't shoot near as accurately as my Savage 300 WSM. Shouldn't be a problem finding a Savage lefty.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
You might want to check the Tikka T3 in 300 WSM. Mine is extremely accurate with a 3 round magazine that loads perfectly as the rounds are not staggered in the mag. And it is available in left hand.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I am a died in wool Remington man... But when I decided to get a .300 WSM, I bought a Super Grade model 70.. I haven't reloaded much for it, but with Fed. 180 Fusions, it is a real tack driver..

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Remington 700 clone is my foundation with a build. Build custom from the word go. The custom actions are tailor made for the WSM's being about 3/4" longer than a standard Remington 700 short action. No bullet seating constraints.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I built mine on a Win 70 and it took extensive receiver modification, ejector, bolt face, extractor modification and a new magazine follower and spring. It started as a 260 Rem. It's a fine rifle but if I had to do it again, I would go with a 30-06. JY Jones took every North American game animal with the '06 and it's even better today with more bullet options.

Last edited by 257Bob; 05/27/15.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had zero problems with my Model 70 .300 WSM. It has consistently shot 5/8" 3-shot groups (handloads). When I was shopping for a .300 WSM a friend who has a lot more experience than me with rifles steered me towards a Model 70. He believed there would be fewer feeding problems than with a Model 700 in a WSM cartridge.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Had great luck with my new SC made Model 70 300 WSM. Functioned and worked very well. Good trigger on it as well.

I can't tell if you need a lefty for your son, or you are a lefty only. Saying all that, Montana Rifle Company builds some very nice rifles these days. I agree on the 3.1" mag box of the M70 very 2.8 on a M700.. I liked having the extra room for longer bullets.

Good luck, sounds like you are setting your son up for success.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I love my 70 Extreme Weather! I am loving the CRF!

Good Shooting!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by kalbrecht
....... didn't shoot near as accurately as my Savage 300 WSM. Shouldn't be a problem finding a Savage lefty.

I know you asked bout Winchester 70 or Remington 700, but I think it would not be wasted time kicking the tires of a Savage. Don't cost nuthin to look. Couldn't be more content with mine. Shoots better than I do.

Last edited by oldotter; 05/28/15.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The model 70 has a longer magazine box, and will probably feed a little better off the shelf. I traded a 700 for a model 70, I think it is the better platform. The 700 mag box left a good jump to the lands, and needed feed rail polishing to feed the left side cartridge.

TANSTAAFL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hunting1
I love my 70 Extreme Weather! I am loving the CRF!

Me too.

Model 70 all the way. Some of the M70 Classics took a bit to get to shoot up to and including re-stocking. The main bonus of the M70 over the M700 - to me - are the simple M70 trigger and the CRF.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Needs to be RIGHT HANDED

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Needs to be RIGHT HANDED

Well being a lefty, you know how much easier that is to accommodate. Does he handload? Will he have to buy his own ammunition? Funds for a young guy starting out can be lean depending on his situation. If he doesn't handload and he is on his own for ammunition, I think .30-06 or the 7mm Rem Mag would be a more practical choice than .300 WSM. Although I see you say you have plenty of load data and tools for it. So if you are setting him up for ammunition or reloading himself, then the 300 is a good choice and he sure is lucky to have a dad like you. I have both of these in lefty myself and seeing the prices of the WSM and sometimes lack thereof on the shelves of stores, I'm glad I handload. Other than that, my choice would be the Winchester Model 70. Perhaps a Ruger 77 or Kimber 8400 as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.