Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
to laser or not? which light?

how many lumens?

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Lumens will depend on how big your house is, and whether you want to use it outside. One thing about high-intensity lights indoors, in a house with white walls, is that the reflection can dazzle you particularly if your eyes haven't adjusted to light when you activate the weapon-light. More lumens is not always better.

I've got a Streamlight TRL-1 on my night-stand gun and I like it because it's bright, light and inexpensive. I can also reach the rocker switch more easily than the switch on other brands of lights.

It's worth a trip to a well stocked store to be able to try out multiple lights on guns similar to your own, as each gun/light combination can have a different "switch reach" for lack of a better term. I like to have the switch where I can operate it with either my weak-hand thumb when grasping the gun with both hands, or with my right index finger when holding the gun with one hand. The placement of the rail on your pistol, and the length of the light itself, both influence how far of a reach you will have to the activation switch.

Last edited by Oregon45; 05/23/15.
SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ive read many opinions on blinding yourself with too many lumens indoors...some agree, some say if xommon sense is used, it rarely happens that easily...thanks for the info

Lumens can include beam pattern and spill, if a higher lumen light has more spill, it moght light up more without sweeping the muzzle and also,miggt makenit harder for someone to aim at you with that much intenisty in their retina

Last edited by SAKO75; 05/23/15.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have the TRL-1 on my Glock, don't have any problems with it inside. Bright and works well outside too.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Another vote for the TLR-1. I keep one attached to my nightstand glock all the time.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
TLR-1. Go to u tube and do a search, they compared 4 different brands. It wasn't even close.

SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks

Looking at that and surefire x300 ultra

Last edited by SAKO75; 05/24/15.

― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have the Surefire X300 on two of my Springfield 1911-A1 .45s. The light is amazingly bright, 500 Lumins, with great range. This is my dedicated home defense weapon, and the pistol that is always in my tent, or under my tarp, when camping.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mannlicher; 05/24/15.

Sam......

SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mannlicher

Pm,sent

― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my second Springfield 1911-A1, also with a X-300 light, and a friend. smile
[Linked Image]

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SAKO75

how many lumens?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Another vote for a TLR-1

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I used the TLR-1 for a while and it is probably the most popular among friends, hard to beat for price and durability. I am quickly gaining preference for the inforce products.

Something in the 200-300 range will be plenty of light inside. I do run the 600 lumen TLR HD on a patrol rifle and like the extra reach but it can be a bit much indoors. I would rather have a bit to much light on occassion than not have enough for my needs.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For things that go bump in the night inside a home the TLR1 is hard to beat. I have 2 of them and 1 of the x300's

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
SAKO75, When you stated "home defense",I presume you meant your own home.Under that premise,I prefer tritium sights.I know my home and can get a clear sight picture without giving away my position and the element of surprise! To put it plainly,I want the fist and last light an intruder to see is a muzzle flash! I still have a "tactical" type light which can be put to use if needed, holding it away from my body while keeping my handgun in an offensive position. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For pistol distances a TLR1 is plenty bright. I have several of them on different guns.

IME weapon mounted lights are really better for AFTER you've found a bad guy than for while you're looking for him. And after you've found him, there's no harm in lighting him up like the field of dreams. So for how I use one, I don't worry about it being too bright.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
no one wants the laser it seems!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

how many lumens?

http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/

I like these and have two. They can do green laser only, pulsating laser (saves battery), very bright white light with laser, very bright white light with no laser, etc.

They also make a holster that turns the laser/light on when drawn.

Good customer service, too.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
im thinking of the viridian for my ccw shield....

― George Orwell, 1984
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
im thinking of the viridian for my ccw shield....

Lumens can include beam pattern and spill, if a higher lumen light has more spill, it moght light up more without sweeping the muzzle and also,miggt makenit harder for someone to aim at you with that much intenisty in their retina

I think you would like it. If disabling white light is something you are interested in, the Viridian is quite bright and also has a strobe that can be programmed into their lights. I've seen what that is like. An intruder or other target can't see the person who is directing it at them and is very disorienting on the receiving end. Pretty neat but if a person is subject to seizures, it can cause them.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 160user, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,022 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.