Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jmbrown
On my first elk I was 22 and used a Winchester model 70 Supergrade in 300 Win Mag pushing a 200 gr Sierra Gameking. Funny story to go with that rifle too. When I was 20 I was engaged to a girl that I had been dating for 2 years and things were going great at first. Then after a couple of months she started becoming more and more controlling and gripping and complaining every time I would go do something like going shooting with my dad or just going and hanging out with my friends. So after about 3 months enough was enough and I ended that relationship and took the ring back and 3 days later took it and traded it for the Supergrade. Best decision I ever made!!

Sounds like a wise move!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Still remember it like yesterday even though this season will mark 25 years for me.

Rifle was a Ruger boat paddle .270 Win with a Leupold vari-xII 3-9. It was my first rifle and i bought it with lawn mowing money about 1 month before deer opener.

I shot my first buck on the second day of season with a 130 Balistic Tip. Well i shot him with 5 actually, all behind the shoulder landing in about a 3" area. Only about 1/2 of 1 bullet penetrated the lungs and was found mid heart. That bullet chunk weighed 58grs IIRC. Last Ballistic Tip i ever shot aside from varmint rounds.

3 weeks later i shot a nice 5x5 bull on opening day with a 140 Partition.

That rifle with the NP's accounted for several more deer and elk before i traded it off on a custom 700 in .264WM

These days its eithery 338 RUM or if hiking a long ways my Montana in 300WSM.

Damn, I'll bet you miss the old boat paddle ruger don't you??

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I finally got into the elk hunting game quite late...in 1992 at the age of 36. Before that time raising kids and work restrictions had kept me from fulfilling my dreams of going after elk.

Even though I was not able to actually hunt elk earlier.....I could still prepare and dream. I built my "elk" rifle in the mid-1980's....a Mauser 98 action I stocked and modified, barreled in .338 Magnum (thank you Elmer Keith). I killed a number of whitetails and hogs with that rifle before I made my first actual elk hunt using that rifle. I was successful in taking a smallish 5x5 bull (which looked like a world record to me after years of hunting mostly whitetails) on that hunt.

I continued to use that rifle for deer, hogs, and occasional elk for the next 10 years or so, until I foolishly traded it away for something I just "had" to have at the time. I can't even remember what I traded it for, but I know I regretted the deal almost immediately.

I suffered for a few years without a "real" big game rifle (although the elk, buffalo and moose I shot with the "underpowered" .30-06 and .358...and sometimes even lesser rounds,...didn't seem to notice the difference).

Then in 1998 or 99 (can't remember exactly when) I went on one of my regular "trade safaris" where I would load 8-10 guns in the truck and make the rounds of a dozen gun shops and pawn shops in search of "deals".

At my last stop (just 15 miles from the house) I walked in and looked over the gun rack....and found nothing I really wanted to trade for. The owner (who I knew quite well) asked what I was looking for....and I told him I wanted a "big" rifle, .375 or maybe a .338. He grinned and told me to stay where I was standing....as he put it "Don't move, I've got a deal for you".

He went to his back room and came out with a Remington factory box. Inside was an unfired Model 700 Custom Deluxe rifle, full factory engraved, and chambered for....338 Magnum.

I was in love, but I also knew what those rifles retailed for. When I asked, "how much", he responded with a price that was a few dollars less than a brand new Model 700 ADL. I asked him, "What's wrong with it?". He knew I had operated a gunshop/gunsmith business for years and was honest.

"I bought one of these a couple of years ago when I went to Africa", he told me, "and my supplier talked me into buying a lot of 3 of them at a price I couldn't pass up."

"And you found out there isn't as lot of market for a .338 in Deep East Texas," I responded. "Right!", he said, "I managed to sell one in Houston at a break-even price, but I'm ready to just get this one out of the shop."

The serious dealing began. I went out to the truck and brought in my "trade material" and asked how he wanted to trade. He looked over my stock and laid 4 of my guns to the side and said "Even". I moved a couple of the chosen guns to my side of the counter and added a couple of others from my "stash".

He frowned and said, "Can't do it. I'll break even on the others, but you just took out my "profit" guns."

We tried a few other combinations until finally told him, "To be honest, if I was on your side of the counter, the first offer you made is exactly how I would trade too...it's really fair, but I can't take your first offer or I would not be able to hold my head up as a "gun trader". Can't you throw in some ammo or something so I can feel I won?".

He grinned and ran back into the rear of the shop. He laid 3 boxes of Federal High Energy ammo loaded with 250 grain Woodleigh softpoints....and a set of engraved scope rings... on the counter. "The ammo is so you win the trade. I'll never use it unless I get back to Africa and that might be a while," he said, "The rings are from me because I like to do business with you. Make it up to me on another trade later."

That Remington 700 is my current "elk" rifle and has served me well over the years. I still wish I had my old Mauser back, but this one is everything one could wish for. A number of elk, buffalo and blue bulls....not mention several deer and hogs....would agree totally. Good looking, accurate and powerful enough for any task. I still think Elmer was right....the .338 Magnum is the "perfect" elk rifle.

When I got home and told my wife I'd traded 4 guns for the one rifle I explained the trade by telling her, "You don't know how much this puts my mind at ease. For years I've worried that some morning I'd step out on the back porch with my morning coffee and there would be a lion or bear or rhino would be standing there....and I'd not have a proper rifle to handle the situation."

She named it....and it's known to this day in my family as...."The Rhino Rifle".

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great story Rick. Thanks for sharing..

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Still remember it like yesterday even though this season will mark 25 years for me.

Rifle was a Ruger boat paddle .270 Win with a Leupold vari-xII 3-9. It was my first rifle and i bought it with lawn mowing money about 1 month before deer opener.

I shot my first buck on the second day of season with a 130 Balistic Tip. Well i shot him with 5 actually, all behind the shoulder landing in about a 3" area. Only about 1/2 of 1 bullet penetrated the lungs and was found mid heart. That bullet chunk weighed 58grs IIRC. Last Ballistic Tip i ever shot aside from varmint rounds.

That rifle with the NP's accounted for several more deer and elk before i traded it off on a custom 700 in .264WM

BSA I had one of those boat paddle rugers in a 280 Remington that thing would stack 140gr Remington cor lckts onto small groups like a real dumb ass traded it off.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
October 1975, using my Dad's Pre-64 Model 70 270 WCF with a K4 Weaver and 150gr. Partitions.

Life was so much simpler then.

SC

Last edited by StarchedCover; 05/23/15. Reason: spelling

Semper Fi
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Remington 721, 3006, in 1961 I killed my first elk using 180 Partitions. Moved up to a 300 WM in 70 and never looked back.

Alamosa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Great story Rick. Thanks for sharing..

+1 Enjoyed reading that.

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Remington ADL, 130gr Partition. Elk didn't know .270s bounce off... Maybe they weren't as tough in the '70s.

Dale

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

BSA I had one of those boat paddle rugers in a 280 Remington that thing would stack 140gr Remington cor lckts onto small groups like a real dumb ass traded it off.

Ha ha John. I had an opportunity to buy a real nice stainless boat paddle 270 win for $270.00. We were on vacation at the coast at the time and I didn't buy it because it was a 270. Now that's a dumb ass for you!!!! blush

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S

Rifle was a Ruger boat paddle .270 Win with a Leupold vari-xII 3-9. It was my first rifle and i bought it with lawn mowing money.

Yep i do miss it. It shot super well with the 140 Partitions and was all i ever needed. Youth and money make dumb choices.

Replaced it with a blued 7mm-08 boat paddle i found at a small mom and pop shop about 7 years ago. It too shoots very well.

Sadly it too will be leaving my safe soon.

I don't want to divert this thread so will put up a new thread in the general big game.

Last edited by MallardAddict; 05/24/15.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

Rifle was a Ruger boat paddle .270 Win with a Leupold vari-xII 3-9. It was my first rifle and i bought it with lawn mowing money.

Yep i do miss it. It shot super well with the 140 Partitions and was all i ever needed. Youth and money make dumb choices.

Replaced it with a blued 7mm-08 boat paddle i found at a small mom and pop shop about 7 years ago. It too shoots very well.

Sadly it too will be leaving my safe soon. A buddies 12yo son has used it the last 2 years for deer and elk with good success. He loves the rifle and has asked to buy it many times.

"Uncle" Matt is a softy and with his parents permission already received it will go to him in 3 weeks for his birthday. I don't have another 7-08 so i stuffed all 350rds of brass with 120 TTSX's that will go with it. The 3.5-10 VXIII will cost him a summer of weekly lawn mowings at my place. I said i was a softy, not dumb....

Hell its just a gun, he has history with it that i don't so it should be his.

Good man. You'll be starting that young man off right with a great rifle. Good on you!! I have 1 boat paddle Ruger m77 left, it's a 300 win mag that I gave to my dad. I know it's in safe hands, as he never shoots it and will never sell it. He's offered to give it back numerous times. I always tell him it kicks too damn hard. Maybe one of these days I'll turn it into a 338 grin laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn it bsa you beat me to my edit. Lol

I will repost in general big game.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

On my first elk hunt, I carried a Remington 700ADL 30-06. Used that rifle for 30 years. Never should have sold it.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Browning auto 30-06 165 gr. boat-tail dropped the first one at 125yds everyone i was hunting with had magnums i thought i was under gunned but i was wrong.:)

Marine Corps, Mason, NRA Life Member & Cherokee
May you always know the Great Spirit is with you.
Years ago I swore an oath to defend the constitution against all enemies foreign & DOMESTIC and no one has relieved me of that oath!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
30/06 with 150 eTip

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remington 700 SS SPS, slightly customized, in .30-06. 168 TTSX

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Back in the early 70's my first elk hunt in central Idaho, I had a sporterised '03 Springfield with a 1.5 - 4 Weaver and used 180 gr. Rem factory corelocts. Wouldn't want to carry that rig uphill and downhill and across hill today; but would be comfortable with the scope and ammo choice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A MDL 64 in 32 Win Spc. Took it out shooting with old man last week and had a blast. Definitively not how I roll today.

S
S
'06 with 180gr Nosler partions.....went 2 for 2 smile

You should never apologize for being a Patriot
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

634 members (160user, 1badf350, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,317
Posts18,449,266
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.