Print Thread
Hop To
S
SLDUCK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I see one on Gun Broker for $629 Is there a reason not to go this route for a 9.3x62?

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not that I am aware of. I have a Zastava Model 70 in 375 H&H and I really like it. A lot.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
I see one on Gun Broker for $629 Is there a reason not to go this route for a 9.3x62?

Not really. The only thing I'd ad is the fit and finish isn't as nice as say a CZ 550 or even a Remington 798 (which is a Zastava), but they aren't a bad rifle. The wood on them is usually very plain and poorly finished. They are lighter than a comparable CZ 550, so they recoil more. The Zastava's I've shot were not as accurate as the CZ either. This is what I found by shooting them side by side. Personally I'd opt for a CZ 550 and pay the extra money, but that may just be me. Good luck with it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
When I lived in Australia I had a stainless/synthetic M70 in 9.3x62 and while the action was a bit rough (easily smoothed with emery) it was a great piece. It had a very lean barrel and I was going to bed it in a Basnser stock that I brought when I moved there. It was to be my go to rifle but alas a sudden change of assignment had me sell it rather than import it home. What's not to like? A stainless Mauser... Here's a shot of the muzzle on mine.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
When I lived in Australia I had a stainless/synthetic M70 in 9.3x62 and while the action was a bit rough (easily smoothed with emery) it was a great piece. It had a very lean barrel and I was going to bed it in a Basnser stock that I brought when I moved there. It was to be my go to rifle but alas a sudden change of assignment had me sell it rather than import it home. What's not to like? A stainless Mauser... Here's a shot of the muzzle on mine.

[Linked Image]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the OP is asking about the blued model on GB, not the stainless model. Look at the listing and you'll see everything I was talking about, except I left out the fact it looks like the recoil pad was installed by my 9 year old daughter whistle . I also want to add, the one I shot was a left hand model and to be honest, my right handed CZ 550 fit much better. Stock shape on the m70 was all wrong. I'm assuming the right hand model would be the same. As always, YMMV...

Zastava M70 on GB

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The Remington 798 Safari rifle is nice. I own one. All the other 798's I've seen...not so much

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have a mint Husqvarna 9.3x62 (they used the FN action) that I would be willing to sell for not a whole lot more (IMO). This is one of the beechwood stocked rifles from the '50's. The only "downer" is that the rear bridge has a third hole D&T'd. A fine piece, as new, otherwise.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's a very nice rifle Ed.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HVA would be superior to both ZCZ and CZ. The CZ American with plastic stock in 9,3x62 was nice handling rifle while full-stocked version was basically poorly handling crowbar. I have never examined ZCZ in 9,3x62 but Interarms imported 7mm Remington was ok handling piece. Those ZCZs that passed through Birmingham UK were real nice rifles. Excellent metal polish, blueing plus nicely shaped and finished stocks. Hardly surprising Englishmen expect a little more.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Slavek
HVA would be superior to both ZCZ and CZ. The CZ American with plastic stock in 9,3x62 was nice handling rifle while full-stocked version was basically poorly handling crowbar. I have never examined ZCZ in 9,3x62 but Interarms imported 7mm Remington was ok handling piece. Those ZCZs that passed through Birmingham UK were real nice rifles. Excellent metal polish, blueing plus nicely shaped and finished stocks. Hardly surprising Englishmen expect a little more.

Off subject, but one of the best rifles I ever had was built in the Birmingham plant. It was a little too heavy for a 30-06 and I threatened to turn it into a 9.3x62mm on a few occasions. Now I'm kicking myself in the azz big time, for getting rid of it!!! I'd get rid of my CZ tomorrow if I found another good BSA model D...

BSA MAGA
IC B3

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Personally I think the Zastava is lighter and handles better than the CZ. As far as accuracy, I've worked on enough Zastavas to feel that they typically deliver very good accuracy.

Finding a Husqvarna that hasn't been dicked with is rare.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The stock work is awfully crude on these, and the machining is as rough as the standard 798 Remingtons.

If you have a decent donor 30-06 send it off the JES Reboring. He'll send you back a good shooting 9.3X62 for $225.00 wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by luv2safari

The stock work is awfully crude on these, and the machining is as rough as the standard 798 Remingtons.

If you have a decent donor 30-06 send it off the JES Reboring. He'll send you back a good shooting 9.3X62 for $225.00 wink

That's exactly what I was and have been thinking. He can also buy that nice rifle offered up in this thread. I'd buy that before any Zastava...Just sayin..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HVA would be superior to both ZCZ and CZ. The CZ American with plastic stock in 9,3x62 was nice handling rifle while full-stocked version was basically poorly handling crowbar.

I have to disagree with you regarding the FS CZ. The rifle points and swings like a high quality shotgun.

Cheers!

Last edited by olgrouser; 05/27/15.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by olgrouser
HVA would be superior to both ZCZ and CZ. The CZ American with plastic stock in 9,3x62 was nice handling rifle while full-stocked version was basically poorly handling crowbar.

I have to disagree with you regarding the FS CZ. The rifle points and swings like a high quality shotgun.

Cheers!

Your gun might be Zbrojovka Brno Mauser made on polished up VZ-24 action. These were made into 90s and available in 9,3x62 (largest caliber offered). The rifle was better than CZ550s. A company in CA used to import them into USA.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any idea of the serial number range of those rifles?

The rifle was purchased in Canada. I was told the walnut is better quality than most exported to the US. It's a dark marbled chocolate colour. smile

[Linked Image]

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I bought one a couple of years ago.

Action was a little stiff when I got it. A couple of hours with some oil smoothed that out. It cycles very well now.

Stock is plain and a little rough - but serviceable.

They are lighter than the CZ's.

They handle well - for me anyway.

It took a little but I've worked up some pretty good loads with 286'sand 250's. Pretty good accuracy.

I would not hesitate to buy another Zastavia.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 70 invisible), 2,914 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.