Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Gaviidae_Esq
The current demand has increased due to more new shooters, the feeding frenzy of "see it/buy it" due to sporadic availability, and the growth of semi-auto rimfires that burn through ammo a LOT faster than plinking with slower cycling equipment.GE

I have no doubt that this shift in the gun culture contributes to the scarcity of rimfire ammo. The days are gone when a kid with a dollar in his pocket could buy a couple of 50 round boxes of ammo and have a ball plinking with his bolt action .22. Now fun is defined as Dad buying a brick or two to feed the semiauto with an extended mag. The kid has a ball, but doesn't really learn to shoot. It's just like another video game.

Our local range's charter puts a priority on youth activities. We had one group out there, mostly shooting the club's CZs, and it was clear that nobody had taught the kids the basics of marksmanship. Then, one adult hauls out a 10/22 with some sort of drum mag and cuts loose. I heard one kid say "I wanna semiauto." I have no problem with semiautos, but the fact is that this approach short-circuits a kid's development as a marksman. I see it all the time.

Just sad.

OTOH, on those occasions when I get to show a kid or adult beginner the basics, I start them out with a good scoped bolt action off the bench. I love their grin when they soon can shoot a quarter sized group at 50 yards. They get the satisfaction of accomplishing something worthwhile. Later, there's plenty of time for rapid fire. It usually only works in the one direction.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am told that there is an app for an Iphone that will tell you when and how much a walmart will be getting. I do not have an I phone, so can't vouch for this info. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
The local Walmart puts out ammo at 7:00 A.M. when most folks are already on the job or at least on the way. The local Academy puts out ammo at opening time three days a week assuming they got any ammo in. When I worked part time at that Academy, the same guys were there every delivery day. They were not all old guys. Many were unemployed, disabled, or worked odd shifts and stopped by on the way home. They usually bought all the rimfire ammo they were allowed. In the beginning of the Sandy Hook situation, they bought every AR 15 they could get their hands on too.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 05/10/15.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Here in Burlington, NC it never makes it out to the shelf. Store employees alert their toothless mouth breathing crack head friends who arrive and line up. One everyone is in place the clerk just happens to find the latest shipment of .22's. The meth-heads then take it to the local jocky lot and resale it. Cops could care less.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm not sure what Sam Walton envisioned for the future of Walmart, but I get the feeling he wouldn't be pleased with what it has become.

Paul39 is spot on about semi-autos. I like semi-autos too, but accurate ones, and every shot still counts!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The old guys and younger gun trader on disability checks are lined up at my Walmart every morning. Some of them do know what's supposed to be shipped in ahead of time. I watched one clerk tell one of the local flea market guys what was supposed to be coming in the next day. I've also watched them hide 22LR under the counter till their buddies could get there and buy it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by Gaviidae_Esq
The current demand has increased due to more new shooters, the feeding frenzy of "see it/buy it" due to sporadic availability, and the growth of semi-auto rimfires that burn through ammo a LOT faster than plinking with slower cycling equipment.GE

I have no doubt that this shift in the gun culture contributes to the scarcity of rimfire ammo. The days are gone when a kid with a dollar in his pocket could buy a couple of 50 round boxes of ammo and have a ball plinking with his bolt action .22. Now fun is defined as Dad buying a brick or two to feed the semiauto with an extended mag. The kid has a ball, but doesn't really learn to shoot. It's just like another video game.

Our local range's charter puts a priority on youth activities. We had one group out there, mostly shooting the club's CZs, and it was clear that nobody had taught the kids the basics of marksmanship. Then, one adult hauls out a 10/22 with some sort of drum mag and cuts loose. I heard one kid say "I wanna semiauto." I have no problem with semiautos, but the fact is that this approach short-circuits a kid's development as a marksman. I see it all the time.

Just sad.

OTOH, on those occasions when I get to show a kid or adult beginner the basics, I start them out with a good scoped bolt action off the bench. I love their grin when they soon can shoot a quarter sized group at 50 yards. They get the satisfaction of accomplishing something worthwhile. Later, there's plenty of time for rapid fire. It usually only works in the one direction.

Paul

Pretty sure poor displays of marksmanship have been performed free of charge at public ranges for a long, long, time.

It's nothing new.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The old man 'myth' weren't a myth about 2 weeks ago in Walmart. It looked like 10 members of the Savage 99 Collectors forum huddled around 3 case of 22LR.

I offered a $50 for anyone that could bend and touch their toes, no takers.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
At my walmart there is a local gunshop that sends employees over and they buy up all the rimfire ammo and then stock it on their own shelf at about $15 higher. Guy that works the counter has figured it out and keeps the ammo under the counter and knows the people who work that gunshop and doesn't sell to them. If regular joe like me asks he'll gladly sell the ammo.

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I may be part of the "old guys at Wally's" contingent now?

Twice in the past six months I have managed to get some 22 fodder there. Whatever I went for, almost always dodder my way back to the ammo cabinet just to see what's there.

Several months ago they had 225 packs of Remingtons and the clerk was in the process of unlocking it for another customer, said I guess you want one too? So, hell yeah.

More recently they had some Mini Mag HPs and I got my three packs. First HPs I've seen in a very long time and they've long been a favorite. So, hell yeah again.

Not ashamed to have been there at the right time, a whoppin' two times in the past year or so?

smirk

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What time of the day? Is there a pattern? grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Not a myth in my town. Hell, a group of older guys even use a "scout". If they get a case of .22, the scout calls the group on his cell. They deploy from the coffee shop, and are there within minutes. Yes, I have witnessed this.

I buy a brick whenever I bump into it, but it's still pretty scarce around here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If they're old and feeble enough, maybe "roll: 'em out in the parking lot and grab a few bricks. Give 'em what used to be retail prices and maybe avoid being arrested.

The time I got the Rem. 225 pack, it was an older couple waiting at the case for the clerk to come open it. The ol' boy was upset because he couldn't get three.

Clerk said 225 packs are bulk packs and they're a limit of one per customer. So momma got one, but dad was still pizzed during the entire transaction.

Finally scored a brick of CCI-SV last month, but it came from a buddy that found some at a show and traded for several bricks, remembered I wanted one. Cost me $35, which is about right.

Only took me about 9 or 10 months to finally get some. Mostly because I refused to pay $50 or more for it.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I talked to a sales men who worked for Wally world at another gun shop he told me of a truck driver that would make a delivery then go back in the store and buy up the .22 he just delivered .said the guy bragged about it and did it at every store he delivered it to

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The Internet and cell phones have contributed heavily to the "shortage" in stores. Wal-Mart posts when rimfire ammo deliveries will be made, and if there's more there than the people who show up can buy, they test or call other people, who soon show up and buy the rest.

How do you go about seeing when the 22 deliveries will be made on the Wal-Mart website? I looked but couldn't see where it shows that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
sporting goods manager at the local Super Walmart told me last week, that they don't even order .22 LR anymore. They never get any in, and it was getting silly to even try.
I was at Gander Mountain yesterday, down the road in Ocala. Was with my Brother in Law. They had a fair supply of CCI Mini Mag solids, at $7.99/100 count box.
Heck, I used to buy 550 count bricks at that price. Still, they had them, so each of us bought 5 boxes. Larry did not want his, so I bought his after we got home.
Another 1000 rounds of decent ammo, at a price for these days, that was almost reasonable.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
bearstalker,

There are several ways to track Walmart ammo, including smart-hone apps, but one way is to log onto Gunwatcher.com, then:

Click on ammo on the toolbar at the top of the page
Click on rimfire
Click on Long Rifle, .22 Magnum or whatever you're looking for
Click on Walmart

The site will then ask for your zip code, and tell what Walmarts in the area have on hand.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think air rifles could be the answer.
Are pellets available?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
bearstalker,

There are several ways to track Walmart ammo, including smart-hone apps, but one way is to log onto Gunwatcher.com, then:

Click on ammo on the toolbar at the top of the page
Click on rimfire
Click on Long Rifle, .22 Magnum or whatever you're looking for
Click on Walmart

The site will then ask for your zip code, and tell what Walmarts in the area have on hand.

Thanks. I will give that a try.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1337Fungi, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.